Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think he's laughing because you admitted that you hadn't even bothered to look at the video in question, yet are pontificating on it. And the video has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

Ditto Hoyt.
I was only responding to the post about animals being exposed to pesticides in large fields. I was silently reading this thread at a time when I couldn't watch the vid.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Yeh, well don't feel bad. I had never heard of someone being killed by an escapee from a Bison ranch until yesterday. I was surprised that I had never heard about that, just like I'm surprised that someone with your experience has never heard about fawns and calfs being hit in the fields by farm machinery. It's not that uncommon.
I farmed for 45 years and the only time we ever killed a fawn was in June when the fawns were first born, after that never, they got out the way.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:45 PM

Default Using drone for mule deer hunting. Outfitter in southern alberta

Just to stir things up a bit, what would make the use of a drone unethical at least you have to be in the area. Unlike a trail camera especially a cell enabled trail camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 08-21-2017, 06:09 PM

I think hunting should be about getting away from all the technology. Now we can kill animals from 1000 yards and use drones and trail cams to help us.Know wonder the old timers are complaining they never see any elk in their old sweet spots.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:13 PM

FAIR CHASE,if it's not in your blood ,your not a hunter.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:56 PM

Thumbs up

I think that drones add that missing element to hunting, fishing, outdoor videos. On the other hand, I have a hard time believing that these "hunters" are not using them to locate animals where they seek refuge and otherwise could not be seen.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
I think that drones add that missing element to hunting, fishing, outdoor videos. On the other hand, I have a hard time believing that these "hunters" are not using them to locate animals where they seek refuge and otherwise could not be seen.

Why do you think they would break the law, just because they have an implement that would allow them to do so? Do you own a flashlight? Night hunter....
Old 08-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Banned

This is no different than using a plane to spot wildlife.. 100% illegal. You're caught, expect to lose your truck.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
This is no different than using a plane to spot wildlife.. 100% illegal. You're caught, expect to lose your truck.
Where did your law degree come from? This is not correct. If the footage i filmed at a different time than the hunt it is by no means illegal
Old 08-22-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
FAIR CHASE,if it's not in your blood ,your not a hunter.
you are right nice work
Old 08-22-2017, 01:35 PM

If he is flying his drone ( camera platform) and filming the critters and has no means to dispatch an animal with or on him, and not in communication with someone who does at the time he is not considered hunting. And yes the same rules apply for wait time after disembarking an aircraft apply before he can hunt.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Is flying a drone into a flock of geese not wildlife harassment ? Where do we draw the line ?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway mike View Post
Is flying a drone into a flock of geese not wildlife harassment ? Where do we draw the line ?
Not there. Jeeze, why don't we all just quit shooting at them. Bet they would prefer being buzzed by a drone to being blasted with shotgun pellets.

And let's not even get into the fish-torturing practice of catch and release.

All the animals shown in that video opening are fine, guaranteed. Not harmed, not traumatized or psychologically scarred.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Not there. Jeeze, why don't we all just quit shooting at them. Bet they would prefer being buzzed by a drone to being blasted with shotgun pellets.

All the animals shown in that video opening are fine, guaranteed. Not harmed, not traumatized or psychologically scarred.
Go sell that to some plow jockey,because you know as much as the next guy about this video unless you filmed it and edited it ,if you did your right easy as that.
The first 2 sentences while he was filming ,if it was bigger I would put a plan together,what's does that plan mean ,it means I would go after it,a mistake maybe he never meant to say,but if I say I am making a plan with a drone ,it means intent to use it in a hunt,he said it not me,should have left that out and things would look different.I have been doing fair chase for 45 years and that's the way it always will be.If I am wrong no problem go buy one and have at it.Best of wishes.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
I farmed for 45 years and the only time we ever killed a fawn was in June when the fawns were first born, after that never, they got out the way.
This summer I cut upwards of 1,000 acres of hay for another AO member.
I spooked a number of fawns out of their beds and one elk calf but none were close enough to be in danger of being run over.

I've cut a lot of crops over the years, but they were mostly grain crops and in the fall, however I know and am closely related to several ranchers and have spent many hours helping with haying.
I have never heard of any fawn or calf of any species being run over or killed.

Not saying it doesn't happen, just that in 63 years of living on and working on farms I have never heard of it.

As for the drone footage. I don't see a problem with the big game footage, the goose footage however, looks questionable to me.

But I'm not a legal expert or in law enforcement so I'll leave the judging to others.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I believe the law may see things differently.

There is no law against shooting a critter one has a valid license to hunt but there sure is against harassing wildlife.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-22-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Why the lol??? My dad ran over a mulie fawn swathing hay one year...went straight to the house, got a .22 and put it out of it's misery...sat and cried right after...will never forget seeing that.
Certainly not uncommon to happen in a heavy hay crop ...
Old 08-22-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
This summer I cut upwards of 1,000 acres of hay for another AO member.
I spooked a number of fawns out of their beds and one elk calf but none were close enough to be in danger of being run over.

I've cut a lot of crops over the years, but they were mostly grain crops and in the fall, however I know and am closely related to several ranchers and have spent many hours helping with haying.
I have never heard of any fawn or calf of any species being run over or killed.

Not saying it doesn't happen, just that in 63 years of living on and working on farms I have never heard of it.

As for the drone footage. I don't see a problem with the big game footage, the goose footage however, looks questionable to me.

But I'm not a legal expert or in law enforcement so I'll leave the judging to others.
You are the lucky one Keg with the fawns.. it happens very easily and most times cant be avoided .
Old 08-22-2017, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Certainly not uncommon to happen in a heavy hay crop ...
Not even close ... cut many acre's in my day ... the only casualty was a duck ... I'm with Keg !!!

Better chance of seeing this !!!
Old 08-22-2017, 10:07 PM

I'll help you out bobalong I know of 2 that my dad hit with the swather and had to put down. The farmer he worked for had one go thru the combine that was hiding under a swath. My brother in law also picked up 2 skunks in the combine in the same day 1/2 an hour apart. Not fun.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 PM

We used to have horses and we would buy 160 small bale load annually to supplement their feed. Once, a bale had a complete deer fawn in it, so it does happen.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
You are the lucky one Keg with the fawns.. it happens very easily and most times cant be avoided .
I suspect there may be a differance between here and the south.

Here we are lucky to start cutting before the last guy in the south is done his first cut and getting ready for the second cut.

We almost never get a second cut.

So by the time we start cutting, most the fawns are big enough to know to run when it's needed. Maybe they are much younger when you guys start cutting.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-23-2017, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I suspect there may be a differance between here and the south.

Here we are lucky to start cutting before the last guy in the south is done his first cut and getting ready for the second cut.

We almost never get a second cut.

So by the time we start cutting, most the fawns are big enough to know to run when it's needed. Maybe they are much younger when you guys start cutting.
Could be ... most of my harvesting experience is in aug and sept ... no greenhorn fawn's then ... still think' it's very rare
Old 08-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Where did your law degree come from? This is not correct. If the footage i filmed at a different time than the hunt it is by no means illegal
Try it and I guarantee F&W will take your drone away.. I wish you good luck.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Go sell that to some plow jockey,because you know as much as the next guy about this video unless you filmed it and edited it ,if you did your right easy as that.
The first 2 sentences while he was filming ,if it was bigger I would put a plan together,what's does that plan mean ,it means I would go after it,a mistake maybe he never meant to say,but if I say I am making a plan with a drone ,it means intent to use it in a hunt,he said it not me,should have left that out and things would look different.I have been doing fair chase for 45 years and that's the way it always will be.If I am wrong no problem go buy one and have at it.Best of wishes.

When he said he would put a plan together, he wasn't using a drone, he was holding the camera in his hand. He then turned it to show his own face. Your grasp (or lack thereof) of the situation and what the video shows is stunning. Either that or you are purposely trying to twist the facts. The use of a drone in the opening scene of a show does not mean it's used in every facet of the episode. It might not even have been filmed in the same year or country for goodness sake.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway mike View Post
Is every goose in the flock that isn't hit by bird shot harassed?
Where do we draw the line?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
When he said he would put a plan together, he wasn't using a drone, he was holding the camera in his hand. He then turned it to show his own face. Your grasp (or lack thereof) of the situation and what the video shows is stunning. Either that or you are purposely trying to twist the facts. The use of a drone in the opening scene of a show does not mean it's used in every facet of the episode. It might not even have been filmed in the same year or country for goodness sake.
But he used the drone to acquire info on location on the deer ,and said that deer isn't big enough or I would make a plan to kill it,that is intent to use an aircraft in spotting a deer and then saying I WOULD HUNT THAT ONE I JUST SEEN,you slice and dice it any way you want ,the rest of the film has nothing to do with that one statement ,plus he tells where he is at the in land of the giants in ALBERTA CANADA.

Another country,or lack of there of,,and the drone has only to be used only once in the facet of the film to it make a crime by statement and intent to harm an animal,only because of it's size no harm would come to it with info acquired by and air craft.IT'S ILLEGAL AND THAT IS THE LAW.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:29 AM

Curious,
Do the guides need to be with their non re alien clients ?
Good video and all but didn't recall seeing Wells guide with him.

TBark
Old 08-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
But he used the drone to acquire info on location on the deer ,and said that deer isn't big enough or I would make a plan to kill it,that is intent to use an aircraft in spotting a deer and then saying I WOULD HUNT THAT ONE I JUST SEEN,.

Where did he say that he used a drone to acquire" location info" on that deer??? The scene starts with him showing a vehicle that had rolled over. Then he pans up to show the windmills and the deer he makes the stalk comment about. He is holding the camera in his hand. Where is there any mention of a drone? You really need to quit imagining things and then stating them as fact.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Try it and I guarantee F&W will take your drone away.. I wish you good luck.
Lol oh brother. I have quite a few feather cops that watch our vids. LOTS of aerial footage of spreads, big game animals, etc etc etc. Youre just flat out wrong....and its funny lol