Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasybird View Post
I've never heard of charges & fees for access to a wildland park?
Neither have I.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:15 PM

A significant portion of this area is already in Public Land Use Zones with multiple restrictions on everything including equestrian and designated trails etc. They don't need further protection, that's what the PLUZ was designed for, same with whitegoat and siffleur. I wonder if all these parks will continue to have fire suppression, or they will let them be 'natural' and get disturbed like they would naturally, or can we expect more areas like the Blackstone, Cline etc with over mature forest, declining fish populations and reduced ungulate populations. Oh yeah, all those areas already have minimal level of activity and no ATV use and no industry.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i don't use a quad they're slightly worse than horses
So you don't enjoy the access that the horse trails provide?
Old 08-23-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
in my opinion most people shouldn't be allowed to target shoot on crown land so ask me if i care
The problem is, now if I hike it I'm told I can't pack a rifle. I'd like to bloody well pack a rifle thank you very much. I live in Alberta. Not Japan.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods_walker View Post
A significant portion of this area is already in Public Land Use Zones with multiple restrictions on everything including equestrian and designated trails etc. They don't need further protection, that's what the PLUZ was designed for, same with whitegoat and siffleur. I wonder if all these parks will continue to have fire suppression, or they will let them be 'natural' and get disturbed like they would naturally, or can we expect more areas like the Blackstone, Cline etc with over mature forest, declining fish populations and reduced ungulate populations. Oh yeah, all those areas already have minimal level of activity and no ATV use and no industry.
I know of a couple of places with reduced ungulate populations around these parts. One of them has a quad trail going up right next to the sign that says something along the lines of "conservation area; no off-road vehicles". The other one says "environmentally sensitive area; no off-road vehicles" and has a quad trail right beside it.

The hunting season hasn't even started yet, but "hunters" have already started scouting and "putting miles on their boots" while revving theirs quads and trucks around the bush. Not sure how one can be a fan.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Banned

Last edited by gloszz; 08-23-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: deleting
Old 08-23-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Did I miss something? FarmerBrown got banned within a matter of minutes haha.
Not hard to do if you keep trying to come back under a different name.
Martinnordeg was what he used to be......
Pretty easy to tell when he comes back lol
Old 08-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Not hard to do if you keep trying to come back under a different name.
Martinnordeg was what he used to be......
Pretty easy to tell when he comes back lol
Darn it, I tried to delete my comment but you just had to find it haha.

He lasted a few months, I bet he cant be all that bad
Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasybird View Post
I've never heard of charges & fees for access to a wildland park?
Somebody will have to enforce this. Paid by somebody, probably us the tax payers. That's a large area with a small amount of man power available
Old 08-23-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods_walker View Post
If you saw the activity around Bighorn on a long weekend you would know why this is moving forward. I talked to a park's guy up there 3 years ago and on any given long weekend less than 6 fatalities is a great outcome. I think the woodland park will be first.. then who knows.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Darn it, I tried to delete my comment but you just had to find it haha.

He lasted a few months, I bet he cant be all that bad
He's not a bad guy. Means well just has to learn to stop picking on people and pushing buttons is all. I am sure if he sucked up and asked to come back and minded himself there wouldn't be an issue.
Once you get banned on here the mods can do a search for your IP address and if you have been banned they will catch you coming back under another name. They do this to keep guys from having 2 names on the forum at the same time.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
If you saw the activity around Bighorn on a long weekend you would know why this is moving forward. I talked to a park's guy up there 3 years ago and on any given long weekend less than 6 fatalities is a great outcome. I think the woodland park will be first.. then who knows.
6 fatalities or more? You sure about that? I highly doubt that or the news sure has let us down because you never hear much.
And to add with that so what. Turning it to a park and not allowing ATV at all is going to make life better? How?
What needs to be done is better enforcement. Maybe drinking and partying has a part to play in it?
Shutting down ATV's is not the answer. They just ride where they are allowed to. it's not right to take away rights of people who legally want to ride!
Old 08-23-2017, 06:58 PM

Nube. I'm sure this has been said before but I'll enlighten you anyways. Using an ATV on public land is not a RIGHT. It's a privilege. When people abuse their privileges then they get taken away.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Shutting down ATV's is not the answer. They just ride where they are allowed to. it's not right to take away rights of people who legally want to ride!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
But that it is probably next to impossible to regulate things in such a way, so we have to live with the idiots ruining it for everyone until things are banned and closed for everyone.
Also, I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but up in here they do not ride where they are allowed to, not all of course but many. Also, the whole allowance thing is very questionable to me in the first place.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Change brings new regulations and new ideas. From my experience change in these types of places never ends up being very good for for outdoorsman. Nothing wrong with protecting things but at the same time all you do is place the rights of one group over the next.
The way hunting is going in our province this is just another step to end hunting or make it more difficult.
Many areas to discuss over this but it looks like things are moving in this directions. Time will tell if it's a good thing or not but my spidy senses say it's not a good thing. Let me know how things go for you guys in the Castle area this winter...
I'm with you nube. It's gonna be a sad day when we lose it all. And what's even worse is it will be the outdoorsman that sympathize with the anti's that start it all.ill let you know what it's like down here this year.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Nube. I'm sure this has been said before but I'll enlighten you anyways. Using an ATV on public land is not a RIGHT. It's a privilege. When people abuse their privileges then they get taken away.
Neither is hunting unless you are first nations which im sure you are not Im glad that memories will be enough for you in the very near future when they take that away as well
Old 08-23-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Neither is hunting unless you are first nations which im sure you are not Im glad that memories will be enough for you in the very near future when they take that away as well
Fear mongering. Only a fool would believe that all hunting privileges will be taken away. Lol. Imagine Alberta without hunting after a few years. Massive herds of elk roaming the prairies and hundreds of thousands of deer eating crops. Think about it! Not going to happen there bud.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Fear mongering. Only a fool would believe that all hunting privileges will be taken away. Lol. Imagine Alberta without hunting after a few years. Massive herds of elk roaming the prairies and hundreds of thousands of deer eating crops. Think about it! Not going to happen there bud.
You haven't been around Suffield much have you!!! I can see the new park being closed to hunting in the near future. They already put up boundary signs.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Then go after the problem instead of taking it away from everyone.
Nothing wrong with a thing called enforcement is there?
The RCMP have cleaned it up around sherwood park in short order when there used to be trouble.
Looks like less people are driving in streams and rivers too now since they are doing some enforcement.
Start handing out some tickets and get the word out and I bet it will fix the issue. Or how about make some designated trails like Waiprous or Ghost or Cadomin or so many other places! Seems to work but instead guys like you just think it's best to shut it all down lol
Old 08-23-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
I know of a couple of places with reduced ungulate populations around these parts. One of them has a quad trail going up right next to the sign that says something along the lines of "conservation area; no off-road vehicles". The other one says "environmentally sensitive area; no off-road vehicles" and has a quad trail right beside it.

The hunting season hasn't even started yet, but "hunters" have already started scouting and "putting miles on their boots" while revving theirs quads and trucks around the bush. Not sure how one can be a fan.
I hardly think the decline in ungulates has anything to do with OHV'S, but then again that's an easy scapegoat. Ungulates get used to OHV traffic.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
You haven't been around Suffield much have you!!! I can see the new park being closed to hunting in the near future. They already put up boundary signs.
What park???
Old 08-23-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
There are many thousands of first nations brother, only a fool would believe that they cant be taken away. Funny not too long ago only a fool would believe that the NDP could ever be in power in Alberta
Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Somebody will have to enforce this. Paid by somebody, probably us the tax payers. That's a large area with a small amount of man power available
Like every other Wildland Park, wether the rules are followed will depend on peoples honesty...
Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
What park???
The castle provincial park
Old 08-23-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
The castle provincial park
At suffield?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-23-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
At suffield?
No
Old 08-23-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Can you shoot a rifle outside of an open hunting season in a wildland park?
That's a good question. When looking at the Castle discharge permits it leaves me undecided. Gonna have to call tomorrow. Not sure if I can carry a firearm to check my trail cameras in some places
Old 08-24-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I hardly think the decline in ungulates has anything to do with OHV'S, but then again that's an easy scapegoat. Ungulates get used to OHV traffic.
I am not going to argue. In fact, I don't think I have ever commented on this topic since I was around on this forum until today, though I read through similar topics numerous times. There is just no point on commenting, IMO.

I will say though that in the two cases I have mentioned in my post you replied to, the deer moved on. There is a chunk where you will not find a single whitetail today, which was not the case just a short period of time ago. Mules are still around, but it takes quite a bit to make these guys leave.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
That's a good question. When looking at the Castle discharge permits it leaves me undecided. Gonna have to call tomorrow. Not sure if I can carry a firearm to check my trail cameras in some places
Keep in mind that Castle is not a Wildland Provincial Park.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:15 AM

Used to be it was about wildlife management and land management. Now it is about human management.

This is a good read on the Wildlife laws of Canada and the province thru time.
You can learn how our hunting has evolved over time.

https://dspace.ucalgary.ca/bitstream...09Wildlife.pdf
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets