Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 09:57 AM

Default The diy bug has hit again.. Does anyone grow their own mushrooms

So lets be clear I am not talking about the magic ones 😊 , even though I would imagine the procedure is the same .

But oddly diy mushroom growing turned up in my YouTube feed and I am interested

So has anyone grown there own.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 PM

Contact the Alberta Micological Society.

I work with a past president, and will ask.

We are pretty dry and cold for mushrooms, but there is at least one mushroom facility south of Red Deer that I know of, and I think it is called Harvest Mushrooms???

Drewski
Old 01-23-2019, 03:25 PM

My daughter grew a couple of handfuls of oyster mushrooms from a kit. Not sure it was any cheaper than buying them, but they were good.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:34 PM

Superstore had a kit a while back. I think it was Money's mushrooms. Thought about it. Went back and they were gone never to return.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:10 PM

Lee Valley used to sell a kit back in the day. I grew Oyster mushrooms.

Found an article and a current source for kits http://www.leevalley.com/en/newslett...1/article2.htm

http://gourmetmushrooms.ca/
Old 01-23-2019, 07:06 PM

You have to be really careful about sterilization if you do it from scratch but the whole process is very interesting. This is a good beginner method;

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek
Old 01-24-2019, 07:58 AM

I home brew and step 1 of good home brew is proper sanitation procedure. There looks to be tons of kits out there and it looks like you get three harvests per kit so the kit cost seem more reasonable.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:01 AM

here is an interesting set of videos I had found

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CazCeJbCr2FFpy
Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 AM
Banned

I have a full laboratory set up for my mycological pursuits. Laminar flow hood, glass bead sterilizer, autoclave, etc. I've cloned mushrooms many times and have made liquid cultures, etc. Once a lab rat, always a lab rat!
All of the environmental variables in the growing room are under my control and I keep them at optimal levels for whichever specie is in production.
Alberta Mycological Society is for people who like to pick mushrooms and are interested in Fungi in general. I've attended two of their forays and was happy. Sadly I don't have enough time to become a contributing member of that organization at the moment.
If you want a very reputable resource of knowledge and a good source of equipment check out Paul Stamets' Fungi Perfecti
Old 01-24-2019, 09:48 AM

Default Shrooms

There is a place in nisku that’s grows a few different types. We did a tour of the family owned business.very well run you can also buy there grow kits.The sell fresh at the shop and sell to farmers markets in the area.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
So lets be clear I am not talking about the magic ones 😊 , even though I would imagine the procedure is the same
I grew my own zoomers a lifetime ago, you would be surprised how sterile things have to be and the process is.

I mean surgery room steril, to grow a fungus.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:25 PM

A number of years ago I bought a button mushroom kit. Put it in a dark cool basement and used a spay bottle to keep things damp. Had lots of mushroom. I have tried to find something like this since but no luck.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
There is a place in nisku that’s grows a few different types. We did a tour of the family owned business.very well run you can also buy there grow kits.The sell fresh at the shop and sell to farmers markets in the area.
I think this mushroom farmer was just featured on a TV show. They grow in vertical bags. Nice neat organized grow rooms with bags hanging. Did the farm you toured have vertical bags?

Those bags were ideal for a small corner shroomery.

One fellow I know has straw with mycelium in bags (with holes) outside in the shade during the warm weather season. He gets a few pounds of oyster mushrooms over course of the season. I think he harvests his own oyster spores to start more bags.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-24-2019, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
A number of years ago I bought a button mushroom kit. Put it in a dark cool basement and used a spay bottle to keep things damp. Had lots of mushroom. I have tried to find something like this since but no luck.
It sounds like a colonized casing. You initiated the pinning by putting the fungus into a colder environment. You could easily make a casing at home using a household pressure cooker and a few specialized supplies. The culture itself is available from many sources.

Straw is a good substrate for many species.

My preferred method of cultivation is through colonized plugs driven into fresh wood.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:57 PM

Never on purpose