Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 PM

Default Mount Seymour bathroom break ends in near-death experience

A 24-year-old Vancouver Island man had a close call Thursday when he ducked under a boundary rope on Mount Seymour for a quick bathroom break and wound up stranded on a 40-storey cliff.

The man and a companion had just started a run on the northwest side of the mountain at about 3 p.m. when they took a detour into an out-of-bounds area. The two snowboarders intended to stop for just a minute before making their way back to the groomed area, but while the victim’s companion made it quickly back to the run by retracing his route, the victim chose to ride around the contour of the hill, assuming he could rejoin the run a short way down the slope.

His way was blocked by impassable terrain, however, which forced him farther down the mountainside. The man soon found himself trapped in a treacherous area called Suicide Gully. He was unable to ride out and, to make things worse, had lost cell reception.

The victim’s companion, unable to find his friend or make contact with him by phone, went to find a Seymour ski patroller to raise the alarm. At about 4 p.m., the call was passed on to North Shore Rescue.

While this was going on, the stranded boarder was attempting to get himself out on his own, climbing up the mountainside on foot, but eventually finding himself on the side of a 120-metre cliff. The man was trapped, but the move had at least put him back in cell range, meaning he could describe his location to rescuers.

With the light fading, the volunteer team scrambled a helicopter. A short time later, they spotted the victim on a narrow strip of snow over a long drop-off. They lowered a member to the spot by long line, strapped the victim into a harness and flew him to safety. The aircraft touched down with about two minutes of daylight remaining, according to rescuers.

The man was soaked and suffering from mild hypothermia, but was otherwise OK. He could easily have fared much worse, however, said North Shore Rescue team leader Tim Jones. If the helicopter had not found him before nightfall, he said, it could have been as much as eight hours before a team reached the inaccessible area by foot.

“We would have had a major problem getting to him before severe hypothermia set in,” said Jones. “That’s usually when they fall; they make some bad choices because their mental faculties are affected, they fall and they die.”

The incident comes just seven days after four snowboarders were rescued from a similar predicament near Cypress Bowl.

“This was almost a replication of what happened last week,” said Jones.
http://www.globaltvbc.com/mount+seym...826/story.html
Old 01-28-2012, 04:01 AM

Now send him a bill for the rescue!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
Now send him a bill for the rescue!
No kidding a little "edumacation tax".
Old 01-28-2012, 07:22 AM

I suspect such a close call will have taught him well.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 PM

I'm glad he made it out ok. However, he should get the bill for rescue. Helicopter @$1000+ per hour and man hours for something preventable? That's what safety boundaries are for. He chose to ignore them. People need to be accountable for their actions.
It would be different if if it was an accident or act of god.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
I suspect such a close call will have taught him well.
It may have but in this country education is not free!
You duck the rope you pay your own way.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 PM

I am glad there are no ropes in the wilds where I like to go and play.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
I am glad there are no ropes in the wilds where I like to go and play.
Thats because you are likely smart enough to not need ropes, and can fend for yourself. Most of the "general public" need ropes around their houses.

k
Old 01-28-2012, 01:44 PM

I don't know. I try not to be too cocky, because I have heard stories of folks who are way better in the woods than I am that get lost or have some kind of wreck.

I figure humble and prepared is the best way to be... especially when I'm out looking for venomous snakes. I know some good people, better skilled than I will ever be, that have gotten tagged in this hobby. Anyway, I'm pretty forgiving of mistake I guess, because I can always imagine myself making an even worse one. (Although no, I don't think I would go under ropes in that instance.)

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 PM

Couldn't do their business inside the ropes or just outside then zip back in bounds? DTR and charge back!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned

north shore rescue are completely volunteer and survive through public donation,,, he and his family should make a sizeable donation to nsr.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:38 PM

The 'news account' of the incident reads like it was written by buddies best friend, in a perspective that attempts to absolve the ******* of responsibility. I'll rewrite it for clarity:

On Thursday at Mount Seymour two snowboarders went out of bounds to hit the pipe and while one of the men found his way back to the groomed runs the his less intelligent friend either got lost in his altered mental state or decided to be adventurous by intentionally snowboarding the off-limits area. At this point the less intelligent adventurer got himself in an even worse predicament while his companion had the wits to summon professional help. The talented rescuers successfully extricated the stricken man and returned him to safety. The rescuers noted the documentation of their previous days mission in the news and wondered aloud if the moron learned his lesson and if their work was simply countering Darwins greater plan.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The 'news account' of the incident reads like it was written by buddies best friend, in a perspective that attempts to absolve the ******* of responsibility. I'll rewrite it for clarity:

On Thursday at Mount Seymour two snowboarders went out of bounds to hit the pipe and while one of the men found his way back to the groomed runs the his less intelligent friend either got lost in his altered mental state or decided to be adventurous by intentionally snowboarding the off-limits area. At this point the less intelligent adventurer got himself in an even worse predicament while his companion had the wits to summon professional help. The talented rescuers successfully extricated the stricken man and returned him to safety. The rescuers noted the documentation of their previous days mission in the news and wondered aloud if the moron learned his lesson and if their work was simply countering Darwins greater plan.
So true and prob was the case, but even dope smokers need our help Just cause one smokes pot dont mean they need/deserve to die via mother nature on the back slopes. It will be a learning lesson and if not he will be found dead in the woods by some kind of weasel, canine or bird
Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 PM

The dope smokers don't leave the hill to light up. Most of them barely even stop. My guess is you have a couple of yahoos that ducked under the rope because "they don't need no stinkin rules" and got into trouble. These type of yahoos have been getting a lot of bad press in the last couple of years. Some I believe have had to repay their rescue cost. These two, realizing they f--ked up came up with the excuse of a bathroom break. Right.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
The dope smokers don't leave the hill to light up. Most of them barely even stop. My guess is you have a couple of yahoos that ducked under the rope because "they don't need no stinkin rules" and got into trouble. These type of yahoos have been getting a lot of bad press in the last couple of years. Some I believe have had to repay their rescue cost. These two, realizing they f--ked up came up with the excuse of a bathroom break. Right.

When men water a tree it doesn't entail a special trip as a group like with women. They were smoking up or there was an implied meaning in the term "companion" that the journalist chose to use; they were looking for the Brokeback run
Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 PM

Maybe a safety meeting gone bad?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:01 AM

Probably the liberal media's fault?

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca