Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2016, 03:53 PM

Default Sighting in a rifle near Edmonton?

Anyone have any idea where I could go to sight in a rifle near Edmonton. I'm relatively new to the area and have done lots of searching and can't seem to find any range or a map of crown land where I can go to get this thing sighted in for deer season.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:56 PM

Wabamun range is probably your best bet. All the ranges close to Edmonton are full and have waiting lists.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Banned

there is crown land not far... its not overly too hard to locate.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:09 PM

Just looking at the Wabamun gun range and unfortunately I don't know anyone that has a membership to take me as a guest.

You said there is crown land not far and not hard to locate? Any idea where I could find or buy a map of crown land near Edmonton. Like I said I'm new to the area/province and I'm really not sure where to start looking.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2016, 04:17 PM

If you are looking for public land around Edmonton where you can sight, you are out of luck. Unless you know a farmer with a land, you might have to travel to other county. Check the county law, because some allows you to shoot, some doesn't allow shooting at all, even if you are in public land. Check with local RMCP station.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantule View Post
Just looking at the Wabamun gun range and unfortunately I don't know anyone that has a membership to take me as a guest.

You said there is crown land not far and not hard to locate? Any idea where I could find or buy a map of crown land near Edmonton. Like I said I'm new to the area/province and I'm really not sure where to start looking.

Thanks
I know your pain bud. I used to live in Fort Sask, and no crownland near Edmonton allows you to shoot.

Only crownland I can think of is smoky lake county.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:22 PM

What part of edmonton do you live in?
Old 10-29-2016, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Bergerboy, I live in the north east side of Edmonton just north of Hwy 16.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantule View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Bergerboy, I live in the north east side of Edmonton just north of Hwy 16.
We use to go out to Bruderhiem it's 25 mins or so past fort Sask that was a couple years ago tho

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post
We use to go out to Bruderhiem it's 25 mins or so past fort Sask that was a couple years ago tho

Strathcona County banned discharging firearm anywhere in the county. I called the natural conserv. just north of Bruderheim this summer and they told me it's banned, even though the website says it's ok.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henzo45` View Post
Strathcona County banned discharging firearm anywhere in the county. I called the natural conserv. just north of Bruderheim this summer and they told me it's banned, even though the website says it's ok.
How so they have a primitive weapons season on Strathcona then?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-29-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
How so they have a primitive weapons season on Strathcona then?
Beats me. I got screamed at by the county worker when I called the county office for target shooting in the public land and conserv area.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Just to clear this up; Strathcona County does allow the use of shotguns and muzzleloaders during the year. However, shooting grouse or birds from any road, paved or not, is not allowed. Handguns are never allowed even on private property and must be used at a registered shooting range. Rifles are not allowed ever even during the hunting season. If you have any doubt, contact RCMP in Sherwood Park and they will read the bylaws regarding gun use to you.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:45 AM

Plan a 1 1/2 hour drive to crown land.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Banned

Even though there is a big difference between "hunting" and "Dischargeing a Firearm" in WMU 248 and esp in Strathcona county, my suggestion to you would spend the extra 20 min and drive to another WMU ( not 936 lol) and get some permission from a landowner where discharging a firearm is legal to sight in your rifle. Set up a target about 100-200 yds away with a safe backdrop and your good to go. I'ts always a smart thing to have your rifle sighted in for hunting season, and yes it is difficult to get on a range anywhere near edm. I always bring some sort of rest (small stepladder works) to steady my rifle. DONT lean on any part of your vehicle.
Just be sure you have landowners permission. Name and ph# helps. You never know when someone may try to give you grief because they are hunting in next qtr, or whatever. Have fun.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:24 PM

The Bruderhiem Natural area is in 250... but the whole area is under a no target shooting rule. Rcmp have been ripping through nabbing offenders past few years. Was once a nice area to hunt.but now looks like a war zone with dumped garbage like toilets and ovens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post

Quote:
Old 10-30-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
The Bruderhiem Natural area is in 250... but the whole area is under a no target shooting rule. Rcmp have been ripping through nabbing offenders past few years. Was once a nice area to hunt.but now looks like a war zone with dumped garbage like toilets and ovens.
Just curious what they'd get charged with if it's crown land and they're doing it safely?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Just curious what they'd get charged with if it's crown land and they're doing it safely?
No idea. Just rcmp were kicking people out last year and doing patrols as well. Certain areas of land were also bought and not open to the public anymore. Not such an enjoyable place anymore. Lots of break ins when ur parked and even shell security increased patrols.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I was told the remaining four quarters of crown are now owned by arc resources. People getting charged were likely trespassing on private oil company lands. The area is also heavily posted no trespassing but still a lot of traffic in there
Old 10-30-2016, 10:44 PM
Banned

my family quads all the time up in bruderheim... someone would need to be pretty stupid to site in their rifle there with all the traffic it gets.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:46 PM

Funny how crown land is bought by oil companies and people that used it for recreation purposes for years are not only shut out but are being charged for accessing it. Sad but Alberta oil wins again IMO.....
Old 10-30-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Funny how crown land is bought by oil companies and people that used it for recreation purposes for years are not only shut out but are being charged for accessing it. Sad but Alberta oil wins again IMO.....
There used to be eight quarters but cp rail "traded" four of those quarters for land they owned elsewhere. They gave away more land than they received. Oil companies in the area may have done the same but not sure
Old 10-31-2016, 02:41 AM

I don't know of any crown land that isn't at least a 1.5 hr drive where you can sight your rifle. I'm in a similar bind as I don't have a range permit this year. Can't wait until the indoor range is finished so I have a drop-in option for a 100 yard range.

Also, this may be pertinent to the thread:

https://www.strathcona.ca/files/file...ntrolbylaw.pdf
Old 10-31-2016, 08:40 AM

I live in the same area as you. I've been driving out to lodge pool area lately to shoot. Gets expensive. $70 a trip in gas, and you need a truck to get in where I go. Someone built a shooting bench there and there's frames/car doors to set targets up on.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:06 AM

Hit Phoenix range - one of the few that do guest passes. Shorter distances but it beats driving way the heck to somewhere you're not completely sure you can shoot.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:56 PM

Crown Land I've used - go west on Hwy 16, west of Pembina River then south towards Cynthia... Or drive up 43 to the Whitecourt area and take hwy towards Carson Pegasus Park...

Either way, about 1.5 drive....
Old 10-31-2016, 05:26 PM

Or send in a membership application with proper membership fee to the Sherwood Park Fish and Game after 12 midnight on January 1, 2017 and you just might get a gun range membership. Gun range memberships are filled for 2016 but you have a chance to get one for 2017 by doing this. Don't send it in before that time frame because it will be returned to you. If you need more information, go to the website for Sherwood Park Fish and Game assoc.

Tags
edmonton, sight in