Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 PM

Default Moving to Cold Lake

I will be moving to Cold Lake in May and am looking for some advice from you guys.

Likely will be renting for a few months before we get a place, hopefully in the country (acreage). Want to get a good lay of the land before we settle down.

How's public land access for hunting? Good farmers for waterfowl as well?

Any areas to stay out of, advice, or personal opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-22-2019, 10:27 PM

I'm a local and live 40 K west of there but from what I know private land access is not bad to get...ask early.

Plenty of public land to hunt and less pressure due to the economic slow down of the last few years. If you walk in off the roads/trails you will be by yourself away from the road warriors.

Land prices (1/4 sections) have stayed high but a ton of acreages for sale with prices dropping as they are not moving.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
I'm a local and live 40 K west of there but from what I know private land access is not bad to get...ask early.

Plenty of public land to hunt and less pressure due to the economic slow down of the last few years. If you walk in off the roads/trails you will be by yourself away from the road warriors.

Land prices (1/4 sections) have stayed high but a ton of acreages for sale with prices dropping as they are not moving.
Thanks for the info. Kinda what I expected and was hoping to hear.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:59 PM

Great place to live, and close to Sask and some great fishing lakes out there with very generous limits on most fish if you like fresh fish now and then for the table. Lots of awesome lakes to fish on the Alberta side as well but most are catch and release for Walleye but still lots of fish.

Great whitetail hunting. The hunting zones north of town have the no ATV before noon which is awesome for those of us that like walking very peaceful mornings walking the woods.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If you enjoy outdoor activities it's a great place.

Buyers market right now so I recommend you locate here, do at least a 2-4 month recce of the area you wish to permanently settle in.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks.snow View Post
I will be moving to Cold Lake in May and am looking for some advice from you guys.

Likely will be renting for a few months before we get a place, hopefully in the country (acreage). Want to get a good lay of the land before we settle down.

How's public land access for hunting? Good farmers for waterfowl as well?

Any areas to stay out of, advice, or personal opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Stay away from the AIR WEAPONS RANGE LOL