Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 PM

Default feral horses

The truth be known many years ago Nadia Hallet had the last license to capture wilds in a large area of the slopes.
Bleeding hearts pestered the province to take away her license, not really knowing that ol Nadia was managing the herd. She used to capture as many of the young stud colts and older horses as she could.
But one thing most don't know is she would buy good (mostly quarter horse) studs and release them to maintain some sort of quality in the herd.
If most on here claim to know the wilds situation in the slopes is true. They cannot denie what these inbreed, long haired, big footed animals are like right now.
In order to manage any herd of animals culling is a requirement to control over population an inbreeding.
Like it or not.
sst
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Bingo !!

I don't know I've just never had a hard time telling the difference between humans and animals and our place here,, just can't get what it is about this that people can't grasp ??

Question for you sunset,, do you shoot gophers on yer grazing lands ?? they are an animal and one I would guess have been here for millennia,, whats the difference.. A nuisance is a nuisance and has to be controlled..
Thats the difference between you and I Walleyes, I dont feel the horse is a nuisance in any situation. However I know a ton of humans that are a nusance and a drain on society,, maybe they need to cull them?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Fixed it for you.

Wolf cure: Super Cub. Right side door off. AR-15. Case of ammo. Safety harness. Snow on ground.

Bear cure: Two tags for blacks everywhere. Longer season. Limited Grizzly tags.

(You did ask).

Horses don't kill elk and moose. Wolves and bears do. Average pack of wolves takes 2 elk per week. Do the math.
I like your wolf and bear cure, don't need to wipe them out but a good bit of population control would be nice. Since I don't forsee the super cubs flying around areas like the ya-ha-tinda/mountainaire lodge/james river area it would sure be nice to see trappers actually focusing on trapping wolves (rather than build expensive getaways) the wild horses while not physically killing the elk and moose are pushing them out of prime feeding areas and enabling the predators, if there were no horses the ungulate populations likely would have hit their trough in the cycle and perhaps be on the way back up but the horses and their unmanaged populations are keeping the wolves from bottoming out thereby allowing the ungulates to recover.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM

In all my life there has never once, been a point that I have been without horses. I use them for work and recreation, these guys are truly my pals.
That being said,if I found myself in a situation where the number of animals was exceeding the capacity that the land could carry, wouldn't it make sense to manage the numbers?
I mean it's not really in their best interest either! Thinning them out would reduce competition for feed amongst themselves as well as the native species. That'd improve quality of life all around.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM

Definition.

Ha! You got me there sheephunter.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetrider2011 View Post
Thats the difference between you and I Walleyes, I dont feel the horse is a nuisance in any situation. However I know a ton of humans that are a nusance and a drain on society,, maybe they need to cull them?
Well in some cases I suppose there are some humans that don't deserve to live but thats not for me to decide,, if ever faced with the decision regardless of the person I would have to give life to any human over any animal.. One has a soul the other was made for providing soles for my boots,, not hard to figure out..
Old 10-31-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
So you don't kill (manage) gophers on your property and allow them to endanger the lives of your friends (horses)...??
Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotom View Post
The truth be known many years ago Nadia Hallet had the last license to capture wilds in a large area of the slopes.
Bleeding hearts pestered the province to take away her license, not really knowing that ol Nadia was managing the herd. She used to capture as many of the young stud colts and older horses as she could.
But one thing most don't know is she would buy good (mostly quarter horse) studs and release them to maintain some sort of quality in the herd.
If most on here claim to know the wilds situation in the slopes is true. They cannot denie what these inbreed, long haired, big footed animals are like right now.
In order to manage any herd of animals culling is a requirement to control over population an inbreeding.
Like it or not.
sst
I think i metioned the same idea in a previous post
Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Wow, Guess you don't eat beef. If there was no grazing on public land,Beef would be for the very rich only.
You guess wrong,I was born and raised on a farm.We had cattle and raised them on our own land.The price of it now is getting so only the rich can afford anything but hamburger.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Well in some cases I suppose there are some humans that don't deserve to live but thats not for me to decide,, if ever faced with the decision regardless of the person I would have to give life to any human over any animal.. One has a soul the other was made for providing soles for my boots,, not hard to figure out..
Interesting concept, so where does it give you decision where horses live or die. liek i said before they hold more salt than some people i know,,and if you feel they are a souless animal , then maybe yo uneed to look into your own to find that. look into any animals eys and you will see that, soul, rawed and un edited
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
So you don't kill (manage) gophers on your property and allow them to endanger the lives of your friends (horses)...??
Gophers are a nusiance to livestock in general, so they can be erraticated, and if you search the forum here i put on gopher shoots.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Interesting concept, so where does it give you decision where horses live or die. liek i said before they hold more salt than some people i know,,and if you feel they are a souless animal , then maybe yo uneed to look into your own to find that. look into any animals eys and you will see that, soul, rawed and un edited
and you wonder where the anti hunters get their emotional rants...lol
Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Gophers are a nusiance to livestock in general, so they can be erraticated, and if you search the forum here i put on gopher shoots.
How is it that only you get to decide what lives or dies?Who died and made you God?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
and you wonder where the anti hunters get their emotional rants...lol
You remember, I am an anti- hunter ogre bully
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
How is it that only you get to decide what lives or dies?Who died and made you God?
are you splitting hairs now? i could say the same about you and the Wild horses. come on now. you dont hunt,? you dont fish? whole different ball game sunshine
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I like your wolf and bear cure, don't need to wipe them out but a good bit of population control would be nice. Since I don't forsee the super cubs flying around areas like the ya-ha-tinda/mountainaire lodge/james river area it would sure be nice to see trappers actually focusing on trapping wolves (rather than build expensive getaways) the wild horses while not physically killing the elk and moose are pushing them out of prime feeding areas and enabling the predators, if there were no horses the ungulate populations likely would have hit their trough in the cycle and perhaps be on the way back up but the horses and their unmanaged populations are keeping the wolves from bottoming out thereby allowing the ungulates to recover.
Horses don't hurt the feed situation at all. They are always on the move and make trails that are good for other critters. Good to walk on, too.

We need to all make an effort to get out and shoot some wolves.

I was talking to a fellow in Montana last week. He - and a lot of others - are livid about what happened to their elk herds on account of Alberta wolves. Said some packs in Yellowstone and area are just huge. The Montana elk herd is 1/3 of what it was.

I don't hate wolves, but they are killing machines. No doubt about it.

Trapping? Well, I have dabbled in wolf trapping and no luck. An uncle I knew well trapped all his life and assured me wolves are about the hardest thing to trap there is. He got some, alright, but it took skill. Shooting them isn't easy, either. I've seen plenty and only shot one. Now I have a Firestorm so we'll see how that goes this year. I have high hopes.

Wolves don't "bottom out" until everything is gone. Everything. We don't need that kind of cycle. There's no taking man out of the equation. We're here and we're here to stay. We've put our share of pressure on ungulates, too; especially with logging. It's only right to make it up a bit by shooting every wolf and every bear possible. Even that would only control their numbers, not eliminate them. Wolves, in particular, are very smart and have a full set of keen senses. Hunting alone cannot possibly eliminate them and probably won't even control their numbers. We can try, though. Super Cubs would make a big, big beneficial difference in the areas you mention.

We used to have vigorous wolf control efforts. People forget that and think the high elk populations just happened. They didn't just happen. We helped.

There were many years in the fur trading days where the cycles you speak of happened. Starving Indians came to the trading posts for food. Why? Because there was no game. We don't need to see that again, do we?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
are you splitting hairs now? i could say the same about you and the Wild horses. come on now. you dont hunt,? you dont fish? whole different ball game sunshine
Not splitting hairs,But if gophers can be controlled ,why not feral horses or cougers for that matter?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

Oh come on sunset,, your more intelligent than that.. Like sheep said,, leave the Disney out of it man.. Bambi never really cried when his mom got shot,, he ran and left her die on the side of the road like they all do..
Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Not splitting hairs,But if gophers can be controlled ,why not feral horses or cougers for that matter?
Never said they couldnt be managed,,however managed properly is the key, not some hair brained idea of a cull, doesnt serve any useful purpose. Sterilization of stallions is the most effective way to control a horse herd,, same as sterilizing a cattle herd if the bull cant breed your not gonna have a calf are you? Selective sterilization of breeding stock is the answer not a cull.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Oh come on sunset,, your more intelligent than that.. Like sheep said,, leave the Disney out of it man.. Bambi never really cried when his mom got shot,, he ran and left her die on the side of the road like they all do..
So Do I come to the understanding that is all about moral fibre then walleyes? if that was the case we should shoot every animal on the planet for whatever reason or another because it doesnt fit in with someones so called plan?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Never said they couldnt be managed,,however managed properly is the key, not some hair brained idea of a cull, doesnt serve any useful purpose. Sterilization of stallions is the most effective way to control a horse herd,, same as sterilizing a cattle herd if the bull cant breed your not gonna have a calf are you? Selective sterilization of breeding stock is the answer not a cull.
Just so you know the previous "culls" took 330 horses out each time, not all of them.To my knowledge there have only been 2 previos culls,A third is planned .Dont know how many they plan to take out this time.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
The wolves have been there far longer than feral horses and are a natural part of the ecosystem. Now don't start jumping down my throat about how wolves kill all the moose, deer, sheep elk etc.. cause I really don't give a damn! Wolves and other predators will die off or move on as food sources dictate. To kill a natural predator is the quickest way to allow diseased animals to mix and infect others.
Just my opinion folks, and we are all entitled to that.
x2 The wolves keep game populations healthy, they for the most part weed out the weak and sick out of the gene pools, insuring only the strong survive. hunters on the other hand do the opposite. (nothing against hunters, i am one myself) just saying the wolves are a critical part of the ecosystem and hunters do not neccesarily replace them.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Just so you know the previous "culls" took 330 horses out each time, not all of them.To my knowledge there have only been 2 previos culls,A third is planned .Dont know how many they plan to take out this time.
Well with the numbers stated with in srd that would be almost half the remaining herd, It fine an dandy manage a herd but manage it properly. Not by pure stupidity
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11567403 View Post
x2 The wolves keep game populations healthy, they for the most part weed out the weak and sick out of the gene pools, insuring only the strong survive. hunters on the other hand do the opposite. (nothing against hunters, i am one myself) just saying the wolves are a critical part of the ecosystem and hunters do not neccesarily replace them.
They are a critical part of the eco system when properly managed.But that line about them killing only the weak and the sick is nothing but nonsense.They are quite capeable of killing the healthiest animal in any heard and very often do.They choose one and kill it healthy strongest or not.They decide.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 PM

The herd has to be way more than 660 horses otherwise I've seen more than 15% of the wild horses in alberta in 1 day numerous times... perhaps they count horses like grizzlies
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11567403 View Post
What I think should happen is shut down all hunting in the province for 5 years minimum,, and then watch the animal populations come back. But can pretty much garantee it wouldnt happen, but boy would there ever be an outcry
Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 PM

I have no problem with using resources. Want to shoot horses fine, tag them eat them and hopefully use the hide. If I caught someone shooting deer or horse and leaving to rot I suspect the both would be on the receiving end of the same boot. If someone can provide science that suggests that horses in the bush should be treated as a varmint I might reconsider.

Lots of folks don't recognize a prey species herd animal when they see one.They don't see the fear of predation. They don't see the dominance displays they don't see the pecking order getting sorted out. All they see is their little baby. The pet the child substitute. Some silly cartoon fantasy born out of cartoons and save the lemmings drivel.

Good thing theses folks are trying to raise horses and not kids. (sometimes they do both...poor kids) The good thing about these people is they always have a "bad Horse for sale". You can buy them cheap, these problem horses, and when you treat them like horses and expect them to be horses they turn out pretty good. Let's not be too tough on pet collectors they are a pretty good source of great horse flesh at rock bottom dollar. They should by toy poodles but their error is our opportunity.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Horses don't hurt the feed situation at all.
I think just the fact that they ingest the same plants that our native ungulates do and that expansion of of our native ungulate populations is controlled by the amount of available winter range (feed) proves just how ridiculous that statement is. They eat and crap...come on Rocky....you are way smarter than that.

Quote:
They are a critical part of the eco system when properly managed.But that line about them killing only the weak and the sick is nothing but nonsense.They are quite capeable of killing the healthiest animal in any heard and very often do.They choose one and kill it healthy strongest or not.They decide.
Kinda sounds like humans?

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
The herd has to be way more than 660 horses otherwise I've seen more than 15% of the wild horses in alberta in 1 day numerous times... perhaps they count horses like grizzlies
I know for a fact that there are way more horses than stated, however that is their stats not mine. and srd is know all beat all right?