Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
I respect the courts decision even though I don't agree with it, The problem with the whole story is A young man is dead and there are no witnesses so the perpetrator gets off with it. But the burden of proof is on the accuser so it is what it is.
A witness saw Martin on top, no proof it wasn't self defense, no proof that GZ started the physical confrontation, physical evidence shows GZ sustained injury, no fighting damage to Martin etc and you still think he should go to jail for murder?

I realize that your gut is telling you that GZ did more than can be proved, but convicting someone when there's reasonable doubt, sets a bad precedent. Sure, he could have murdered that kid in cold blood, but there isn't evidence to support it, so GZ getting off doesn't set way for cold blooded murderers to get off with crimes in the future.

Last edited by canadiantdi; 07-15-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 AM

I find it absolutely hard to believe that Zimmerman couldn't have defended himself without using his firearm. Zimmerman sure doesn't look like a lightweight and Trayvon surely wasn't a heavy weight.

I find it a travesty that Trayvon was basically the one put on trial here. There have been many articles disparaging the kid based on his actions "leading up to his death" but what of the night in question? So what if he smoked a little dope with his buddies prior to that night, he wasn't smoking dope when Zimmerman started stalking him. This notion that he was scoping out homes isn't a fact, it's conjecture to justify Zimmerman stalking him. We don't know if Trayvon was the aggressor or if Zimerman was. Zimmerman can say anything he wants at this point, we'll never know the full truth since the only other real witness is dead.

The stand your ground law was put into effect to actually protect people that are in danger of attack, it shouldn't be used to absolve those who purposefully and knowingly put themselves into a situation where their lives might be in danger. Sure, Trayvon should have simply went home but Zimmerman, a adult who was supposedly responsible, should have not put himself into the position he found himself in. He might not be guilty in the eyes of the law but he certainly is guilty of bad judgment resulting in the loss of a kid's life.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
I find it absolutely hard to believe that Zimmerman couldn't have defended himself without using his firearm. Zimmerman sure doesn't look like a lightweight and Trayvon surely wasn't a heavy weight.

I find it a travesty that Trayvon was basically the one put on trial here. There have been many articles disparaging the kid based on his actions "leading up to his death" but what of the night in question? So what if he smoked a little dope with his buddies prior to that night, he wasn't smoking dope when Zimmerman started stalking him. This notion that he was scoping out homes isn't a fact, it's conjecture to justify Zimmerman stalking him. We don't know if Trayvon was the aggressor or if Zimerman was. Zimmerman can say anything he wants at this point, we'll never know the full truth since the only other real witness is dead.

The stand your ground law was put into effect to actually protect people that are in danger of attack, it shouldn't be used to absolve those who purposefully and knowingly put themselves into a situation where their lives might be in danger. Sure, Trayvon should have simply went home but Zimmerman, a adult who was supposedly responsible, should have not put himself into the position he found himself in. He might not be guilty in the eyes of the law but he certainly is guilty of bad judgment resulting in the loss of a kid's life.
Stand your ground wasn't used in this case to justify Zimmerman. They used a simple self defense, defense. It would have been tougher to say that Zim was standing his ground because he followed the kid. Looking at physical evidence and neighbours testimony though, it's impossible to say, beyond a reasonable doubt, that he didn't fear for life or limb.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM

The fact remains, the prosecution never had a substantive case to justify the charges.

The moral of the story is, don't get into altercations in jurisdictions with stand your ground laws, unless you're packing a gun, and the skills to use it effectively.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
A witness saw Martin on top, no proof it wasn't self defense, no proof that GZ started the physical confrontation, physical evidence shows GZ sustained injury, no fighting damage to Martin etc and you still think he should go to jail for murder?

I realize that your gut is telling you that GZ did more than can be proved, but convicting someone when there's reasonable doubt, sets a bad precedent. Sure, he could have murdered that kid in cold blood, but there isn't evidence to support it, so GZ getting off doesn't set way for cold blooded murderers to get off with crimes in the future.
What do you think the better chances are everything happens to break in your favour, or you are lying ?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
What do you think the better chances are everything happens to break in your favour, or you are lying ?
Chances are that Zimmerman's version of the events aren't 100% correct.

But, unless there is sufficient evidence to convince an impartial jury that it wasn't self defense beyond a reasonable doubt, he can't, and shouldn't, be convicted.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Chances are that Zimmerman's version of the events aren't 100% correct.

But, unless there is sufficient evidence to convince an impartial jury that it wasn't self defense beyond a reasonable doubt, he can't, and shouldn't, be convicted.
That's why a lot of people are upset tdi.

He couldn't remember the name of the street he lived on for 3 years.
He don't know what happened for 2 minutes.
He claims to have a bad memory and add but remembers everything that makes his case stronger.
He says Martin jumped out from behind a tree and then couldn't find the tree.
He says the dispatch told him to follow when they told him to stay.

He is clearly a guy who knew the law and gamed it to make himself appear better but because the burden of proof is on the accuser and the only other witness is dead he walks free.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's why a lot of people are upset tdi.

He couldn't remember the name of the street he lived on for 3 years.
He don't know what happened for 2 minutes.
He claims to have a bad memory and add but remembers everything that makes his case stronger.
He says Martin jumped out from behind a tree and then couldn't find the tree.
He says the dispatch told him to follow when they told him to stay.

He is clearly a guy who knew the law and gamed it to make himself appear better but because the burden of proof is on the accuser and the only other witness is dead he walks free.
Actually...there was 4 minutes unaccounted for and Zimmerman had an interesting drug in his system as well.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 PM

Some interesting points and some leaps of logic but a different viewpoint

http://youtu.be/bF-Ax5E8EJc
Old 07-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post

That is hardly bias at all.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
Who?
Ooops, my bad. I meant Trayvon Zimmerman.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
That is hardly bias at all.
Do you think you are being totally objective here? Remember, it's not what you think that matters, it's what you can prove.

The whole thing is a media circus. Not much more.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
Do you think you are being totally objective here? Remember, it's not what you think that matters, it's what you can prove.

The whole thing is a media circus. Not much more.
That`s right,CNN and Nancy Graceless are already advertising the next T.V. trial,slated to begin in a week or so.Some woman,didn`t catch many details but it`s a murder trial.Same sh1t,different day.The newest in reality T.V.
The U.S. is getting more like the decline of the Roman Empire everyday.Give the masses bread and games.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
That`s right,CNN and Nancy Graceless are already advertising the next T.V. trial,slated to begin in a week or so.Some woman,didn`t catch many details but it`s a murder trial.Same sh1t,different day.The newest in reality T.V.
The U.S. is getting more like the decline of the Roman Empire everyday.Give the masses bread and games.
Yes let them eat cake lol.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:03 PM

Its getting ridiculous now. Petitions to charge him on a federal level. I personally think he was guilty but the man had his day in court. The verdict was not guilty. Time for these people to move on.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/15/politi...ges/index.html
Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Yes let them eat cake lol.
They would be happier with Pie. For we all know that Pie > Cake.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-15-2013, 06:15 PM

All that this case does is give people a means to incite racial tension.

The same week that Martin was killed, black teens doused a white teen in gas and set him on fire.

Much more black on black crime that never makes the news. Much more interracial violence that doesnt make the front page. No reason other than this was a white on black crime that the liberal media knows people will eat up with a spoon. Celebrities going off because it was unjust. Get stuffed. When OJ got off there was no riots by the white people. Kim Kardashian posted that it was unjust. Your dad was OJs lawyer you complete waste of space.

The amount of arguments and garbage started by this is insane.

Zimmerman should not have got out of his truck and Martin should have gone home.

It is over and done with.

Stop arguing over it cause all it does it lead to more fighting.

Time to stop believing what the media is spoon feeding the masses. It is like we are too plugged in to other peoples lives to care about what is really important.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 PM

Zimmerman is Latino
Old 07-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Zimmerman is Latino
Not true, he is bi racial. From what I recall his father is white and mother is half white and half latino.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Banned

This is a viewpoint that makes a lot of sense to me. (Warning a lot of swearing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdk1yajDjgM
Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmooth View Post
Not true, he is bi racial. From what I recall his father is white and mother is half white and half latino.
By definition Latino is a mixed race
Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
This is a viewpoint that makes a lot of sense to me. (Warning a lot of swearing)

I think I agree with this statement as well just my 2 bits
Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
By definition Latino is a mixed race
Thanks for the U tube.

You will not get anywhere on this thread when trying to argue reason.

Every post is totally emotional.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:

Good vid
Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 PM

In my books he was guilty, should of hanged the latino. Martin was commiting no crime.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
In my books he was guilty, should of hanged the latino. Martin was commiting no crime.
You figured there was no reasonable doubt?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Great account of the facts. Though the end of the video was far more interesting then the Treyvon/Zimmerman stuff.

Quote:

"Teach your kids don't act like *******s and don't put yourselves into positions where someone might think you're up to no good. Someone could be shot."

Best 20 seconds of that rant. Far to much stereotyping though.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ooops, my bad. I meant Trayvon Zimmerman.
Again the two parties were Trayvon Martin, the victim and George Zimmerman who shot Martin.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 PM

George Zimmerman jury reached right verdict
-
Beth Kassab
Local News Columnist
The Orlando Sentinel
10:59 PM EDT, July 13, 2013
-

Like it or not, the jury got this one right.

Nobody wants to see two parents who already lost their teenage son also lose out on what they saw as justice.

As painful as it may be, though, acquitting George Zimmerman was the only verdict the jury could logically reach.

The state simply didn't prove second-degree murder. Or manslaughter.

As much as I don't like many of the choices Zimmerman made the night he killed Trayvon, the evidence presented at trial gave way to more than one reasonable doubt about Zimmerman's guilt.

The jury believed Zimmerman's claim of self-defense.

A lot of people didn't see it that way.

They saw Zimmerman as the man who should be held accountable for tipping the first in a series of dominoes that led to 17-year-old Trayvon's death early last year.

Zimmerman made the wrong assumptions about Trayvon Martin, but he didn't break any laws by calling police to report Trayvon as suspicious.

He didn't use good judgment, but he didn't violate any laws by following Trayvon, either.

And you can say Zimmerman didn't need to stick a gun in his waistband when he decided to get in his truck and drive to Target that night, but he had a legal permit for a concealed firearm.

The state couldn't prove that Zimmerman started the fight between him and Trayvon.

But without a doubt it was Zimmerman who was losing. His nose was bloodied and broken. His head was cut and bruised.

Trayvon had barely a scratch, until the gunshot that killed him.

Some might have seen manslaughter as a compromise verdict.

But a manslaughter conviction would have been no compromise for George Zimmerman.

It's hard to imagine that, with a 29-year-old man's life hanging in the balance, the jury of six women could reach a verdict rooted in conciliation instead of the facts.

Verdicts aren't meant to placate.

We must accept that this jury reached a not-guilty verdict because jurors believed Zimmerman was in fear of his own life when he shot Trayvon.

Self-defense laws — "stand your ground" aside — are strong in Florida, where concealed-weapons permits nearly outnumber palm trees.

And there was plenty of evidence to show the fight between Zimmerman and Trayvon went down close to, if not exactly, as Zimmerman said it did.

As demonstrators gathered at the courthouse while the jury was deliberating inside, we were reminded how viscerally people reacted to this case.

Trayvon's death became a symbol for people who feel they are unfairly judged on appearance.

The case morphed into something much bigger than a fight between two people, with the worst of consequences. It became a modern assessment on equal justice and fairness in Florida's criminal-justice system.

Florida's record is marred when it comes to doling out justice. Men wrongfully convicted by prejudice or junk science have later been freed after serving long prison terms. That same bigotry played out in police departments that haven't always given crimes against black victims the attention they deserved.

But Zimmerman wasn't on trial for this state's historical and institutional wrongs.

He was charged with the second-degree murder of Trayvon Martin. And the proof for that charge just wasn't there.

But justice isn't about what I think. It's about what those six women on the jury decided.
-
bkassab@tribune.com or 407-420-5448
-

Copyright © 2013, Orlando Sentinel
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
Again the two parties were Trayvon Martin, the victim and George Zimmerman who shot Martin.
I am aware that Trayvon and Zimmerman are the two subjects of this trial. My original post was meant as "I hope both sides can move on", it was a play on words if you will.