Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Bahahahahaha!!!!!

Still not as good as when I was in junior high school, someone put a dead gopher in a hole in the wall at our school library. They had to close it down for a week while they hunted down the stank...
Is it time to roll out the spiders on drugs video yet?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
I agree. I don't medicate my son for A.D.D for just that reason, and he's a lot better for it. My baby brother died 3 years ago due to prescription drugs, and he was never a pot smoker. He was addicted to prescription pills and had a doctor who was more than willing to prescribe them. He died in his sleep from a narcotic (Liquid chloral hydrate)that this doctor prescribed for sleep, that should have never been given to him since it was usually used in hospitals. It stopped his heart...
I am so sorry for your loss, that is horrible. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Ken

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Otherwise all of the potheads I actually know have good upper middle class jobs and incomes, own their own homes etc... they are all doing much better than any drunk I know. A couple own their own businesses and one is a Cardiologist.
That's not been my observation. The people that I know all have mediocre lives and jobs and they don't have any ambition to do any better. Looking back at the people in high school that were potheads, none of them did amazingly well in life. I've noticed the same with the kids here in town that went to school with my Daughter. The ones that are potheads are just getting by (or worse) because they have no drive to do any better. There are exceptions and I'm just generalizing but that's been my experience.

I don't think that pot is any more or less evil than alcohol, in fact, if either one is taken to the extreme then I'd have to say that pot is better than alcohol in that regards. It's not physically addicting like alcohol is anyway.

Legal or not, if I thought that my Daughter was becoming involved in that lifestyle in high school I would do everything within my powers to stop it. Once she finished school (including university), left home and started living her life as an adult then she can make her own choices.

For any adult that wants to smoke a joint after work or in the evening while listening to the coyotes howl off in the distance then I say fill your boots. The world needs ditch diggers too.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust
(snip)

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I am so sorry for your loss, that is horrible. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Ken
I agree with Ken, very sorry for your loss, thats heartbreaking.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:13 PM

^^ HunterDave...that COULD be because all the responsible cannabis smokers don't advertise or flaunt what they do in their personal lives to you. You probably know a lot more than you realize. If you came across me in a professional surrounding and even got to know me you would have no reason to suspect I smoke. I own a respectable business, married 30 years, own a couple of houses, wife and I look like typical 50 year olds, clean cut. And I wouldn't mention anything about my personal choices to you. Even if you came to the house for a BBQ I more than likely wouldn't partake. And most of the people I run into on a professional basis end up beig partakers. Nothing to do with the "crowd I hang with". All professional business ppl.
Those "potheads" you describe, are just that potheads. Same as those "alcoholics" you see in the welfare line up. They're in no way an accurate portrayal of a responsible cannabis smoker.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 08-13-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
I find it very ignorant, rude and offensive that someone would use the word "retard" so freely. It says a lot about the poster.
X2
Par for the course
Old 08-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
This issue has probably been debated as long as the internet has existed.
I have asked this question many times and have never received an answer.
"can some pro pot person give me a stand alone argument as to why pot should be legal and how it is helpful to society?"
By a stand alone argument I mean without mentioning alcohol or tobacco.
They have nothing to do with each other and if pot heads continue to link the arguments to them they have already lost the fight.
Everyone knows that alcohol and tobacco are harmful.
If I was to make a stand alone argument to legalize something I would not compare it to something that is known to be harmful to health.
I guess pot heads cannot fathom that idea.
As for potheads saying that pot has never killed anyone, they need to sober up and read stats on impaired driving. Lost productivity on job sites and wrecked family lives due to extensive marijuana use.

Unlike alcohol, pot users consume it to get "stoned".
People can and do have a few drinks without getting inebriated all the time.
I don't know anyone who smokes pot without the intention of getting high and I will call anyone a liar if they say they do.

The medicinal marijuana issue would be far better off without pot heads and stoners arguing in favour of legalization in order to get stoned.
Your question can be applied to many many things that we don't need and may benefit from, at least theoretically by banning them.

Lets just take everything away and be done with it....

Or you can accept the possibility that you really have no right to tell someone what they can and cannot do, until they pose an immediate threat.

I have no stand alone argument to defend pot ( maybe because I don't smoke it, I don't know) other than I believe people have a right to do as they please with their bodies.

If you think you have a right to tell others what they can and cannot do with their body, then they have a right to do the same to you.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Banned

Dave, like I said, there are exceptions. If you were to bet money on who would do better in life coming out of high school, a kid that is a pothead or a kid that doesn't smoke, who would you bet on?

I'd be curious to know if you smoked all your life as you built homes and businesses or did you start after you became reasonably successful in life.

I have no problem with an adult smoking a joint by a campfire on the weekend and relaxing......I see it a lot. It's good that they have the discipline to do that on an occasional basis but I've met people that become consumed by it and have done a lot of damage to their lives as well. I think that, just like alcohol, too much of a good thing does more harm than good. To each their own and if you are someone that can smoke a joint by the fire after the kids are in bed and forget about it until the next time that you have a couple of quiet hours to relax then all the more power to you.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
^^ HunterDave...that COULD be because all the responsible cannabis smokers don't advertise or flaunt what they do in their personal lives to you. You probably know a lot more than you realize. If you came across me in a professional surrounding and even got to know me you would have no reason to suspect I smoke. I own a respectable business, married 30 years, own a couple of houses, wife and I look like typical 50 year olds, clean cut. And I wouldn't mention anything about my personal choices to you. Even if you came to the house for a BBQ I more than likely wouldn't partake. And most of the people I run into on a professional basis end up beig partakers. Nothing to do with the "crowd I hang with". All professional business ppl.
Those "potheads" you describe, are just that potheads. Same as those "alcoholics" you see in the welfare line up. They're in no way an accurate portrayal of a responsible cannabis smoker.

Good points Dave. I find it the same, intact had a business meeting recently with a very very successful gentleman whom I hope to do business with, he fired one up on the second hole. I'm talking multi, multi millionaire.

On the other side I have a brother in law who will never go anywhere in life. And it does have a lot to do with smoking 2-3 grams of pot a day. When is dealer doesn't have any and he's straight for a week he cooks, cleans, basically becomes a productive member of society.

These are just a couple examples of course, I believe some people can live ordinary lives and enjoy the occasional doobey, beer, snort. Others not so much.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep6matt View Post
I agree with Ken, very sorry for your loss, thats heartbreaking.
Thanks guys. He was a good lad. At least I can take comfort knowing our Dad came to him to take him to the creator, and him and Dad are no longer sick and weary with their previous lives.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Dave, like I said, there are exceptions. If you were to bet money on who would do better in life coming out of high school, a kid that is a pothead or a kid that doesn't smoke, who would you bet on?

I'd be curious to know if you smoked all your life as you built homes and businesses or did you start after you became reasonably successful in life.

I have no problem with an adult smoking a joint by a campfire on the weekend and relaxing......I see it a lot. It's good that they have the discipline to do that on an occasional basis but I've met people that become consumed by it and have done a lot of damage to their lives as well. I think that, just like alcohol, too much of a good thing does more harm than good. To each their own and if you are someone that can smoke a joint by the fire after the kids are in bed and forget about it until the next time that you have a couple of quiet hours to relax then all the more power to you.
And that there is a perfect arguement for legalization. If it is legalized it will be regulated like alcohol and tobacco, keeping it out of the hands of kids. Currently pot is much easier for under 18's to access than alcohol, and pot can have harmful effects on the developing brain.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:00 PM

K, now you're throwing another equation into the mix...a kid who's smoking in high school. I'd bet on him being successful about as much as I'd bet on the kid that's getting drunk in High school being successful.
If my 16 yr old was getting stoned in high school I'd tan his arse as quickly as if he started smoking or drinking at that age. My son has severe Crohns and he only started smoking it to help alleviate his symptoms. I don't kid myself, he also enjoys its non medicinal effects as well. But it didn't bother me as he was an adult living on his own when he started it. He never smoked it in high school even though he knew we did. He also didnt smoke cigs or abused the bottle. An honour student.

My wife was raised the most straight laced religious person you'd ever meet. She tried it first in her late 30s (against my advice I might add) because she wasn't a drinker at all yet wanted to enjoy a "party" as much as the next person. The difference was, she could get just as "buzzed" as her girlfriends and still wake up the next morning at 6:00 am fresh as a daisy, with no hangover whatsoever...meanwhile her drinking friends would be puking their guts out regretting that they didn't know who they might've slept with the previous night.
Fast forward 15 years, and now it's a life saver as its the only thing that helps her cope with almost debilitating fibromyalgia.
I'm a bird of a different feather. I was raised a hippy child of the 60s. And started smoking it at age 9. Did so up until my teens. I then turned to religion and for the next dozen or so years abstained from everything.
In my late 30s I joined my wife and found it to be the perfect "relaxant". No gettig sick. No hangovers. I'm not a big drinker and I can't stand cigarette smoke. So we both enjoy it. Responsibly.

So there are 3 examples from 3 different upbringings of responsible users.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 08-13-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Do you have kids?

Would you want someone trying to sell alcohol to your child?

Would you want your child to be exposed to friends that do alcohol?

Peer pressure and bullying are huge in schools today. Would you want your child to be pressured into alcohol?

Why stop at alcohol?

One thing opens the door for something else later. We already have legalized examples. Should we continue down the same path?

Yes I have strong positive feelings towards alcohol. But that's my opinion! Not because anyone said, but because I choose too!
There..

Fixed it for you. See how ridiculous your argument sounds??
Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Ya know what I really like about this thread?

That a bunch of guys can throw mud at each other without any namby pamby mods getting all sensitive and swinging the ban hammer around.

If this was CGN, this thread wouldnt make it past page one and most of us would have been infracted or banned.

So thanks mods for lettin this one ride and giving free speech a chance.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM

My condolences Nikanit, and please excuse me for using your loss for an example.

Quote:

Ken
Quote:
I agree 100%

Pottymouth for PM!

I would jail the entire fricken works for life if I could, users, growers, distributors, everyone. New jail under the ice in Antarctica.

Really Ken?

Can't you see the hipocricy in these posts? Which one is truthful to your soul?

I been here long enough to be very confused by your obvious big heart and vocal stance of contempt for those with drug addictions.

I hope you find answers to this conundrum.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
My condolences Nikanit, and please excuse me for using your loss for an example.

Really Ken?

Can't you see the hipocricy in these posts? Which one is truthful to your soul?

I been here long enough to be very confused by your obvious big heart and vocal stance of contempt for those with drug addictions.

I hope you find answers to this conundrum.
I had a toasted cucumber sandwich for lunch. Actually it was 2 of them, sliced thinly, butter, salt and pepper.

If I had leftover roast beef or chicken or turkey I would have had a meat sandwich, but I really do enjoy cucumber sandwiches. Even lettuce sandwiches are good, and the odd time a dill pickle sandwich hits the spot.

What's your goto lunch?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I had a toasted cucumber sandwich for lunch. Actually it was 2 of them, sliced thinly, butter, salt and pepper.

If I had leftover roast beef or chicken or turkey I would have had a meat sandwich, but I really do enjoy cucumber sandwiches. Even lettuce sandwiches are good, and the odd time a dill pickle sandwich hits the spot.

What's your goto lunch?
mmmmm cucumber sani, ya forgot the mayo tho Ken........
Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
That's not been my observation. The people that I know all have mediocre lives and jobs and they don't have any ambition to do any better. Looking back at the people in high school that were potheads, none of them did amazingly well in life. I've noticed the same with the kids here in town that went to school with my Daughter. The ones that are potheads are just getting by (or worse) because they have no drive to do any better. There are exceptions and I'm just generalizing but that's been my experience.

I don't think that pot is any more or less evil than alcohol, in fact, if either one is taken to the extreme then I'd have to say that pot is better than alcohol in that regards. It's not physically addicting like alcohol is anyway.

Legal or not, if I thought that my Daughter was becoming involved in that lifestyle in high school I would do everything within my powers to stop it. Once she finished school (including university), left home and started living her life as an adult then she can make her own choices.

For any adult that wants to smoke a joint after work or in the evening while listening to the coyotes howl off in the distance then I say fill your boots. The world needs ditch diggers too.
I think it might have much to do with their start points.
I might have hung with a crowd that was heavier in high achievers or that had more wealth or opportunity to begin with.

Who knows?

What I'm saying is that basically...pot didn't seem to make them more or less that they were destined to be already.
The A students remained A students and the goofs stayed goofy.

I also have to agree with the other Dave...who mentioned that successful peole would be inclined to also keep that to themselves the same way they might keep other socially volatile things to themselves.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow397 View Post
Ya know what I really like about this thread?

That a bunch of guys can throw mud at each other without any namby pamby mods getting all sensitive and swinging the ban hammer around.

If this was CGN, this thread wouldnt make it past page one and most of us would have been infracted or banned.

So thanks mods for lettin this one ride and giving free speech a chance.
CGN....whats that?
Canadian girly-nerds?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Well I guess once we rejected Gusts use of reason and verifiable facts to foreward his argument...he had nothing left to say.

Its a great day for BSers and pundits everywhere!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
mmmmm cucumber sani, ya forgot the mayo tho Ken........
Nooooo

Mayo is for beef, spam, chicken, even bacon, butter only for cucumbers!

Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 PM

Mayo?
Miracle Whip baby!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Well I guess once we rejected Gusts use of reason and verifiable facts to foreward his argument...he had nothing left to say.

Its a great day for BSers and pundits everywhere!
Don't exclude the fundamentalists and ideologues!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:

What's your goto lunch?
Just love it when people have a serious topic to discuss, with maybe some tough questions to answer, discussing things that affect the lives of other human beings - maybe life and death themselves and people resond with ridiculous garbage.....

In your world Ken, you would have thrown his brother in prison for 10 years on first offence of getting caught with weed.....

You and Potty are very very confused souls.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Just love it when people have a serious topic to discuss, with maybe some tough questions to answer, discussing things that affect the lives of other human beings - maybe life and death themselves and people resond with ridiculous garbage.....
In your world Ken, you would have thrown his brother in prison for 10 years on first offence of getting caught with weed.....
You and Potty are very very confused souls.
Are you kidding or just genuinely stupid?
There was no mention of weed!
The man's baby brother died in his sleep from a Doctor prescribed Medicine!!!

Stop fighting just to fight!

Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding or just genuinely stupid?
There was no mention of weed!
The man's baby brother died in his sleep from a Doctor prescribed Medicine!!!

Stop fighting just to fight!
I wasn't going to say anything regarding this particular example, but.....

Ken, Jbrow certainly didn't put it well or politely, but the fellow originally did say that his brother was addicted to prescription drugs. It wasn't an accident that he had them. I want to be respectful to all here on this issue, but I think the point is that when we speak of actual people we know or that others know, we offer our condolences (as we should) and think it a sad thing, a health issue. But when we speak in generalities without a human face that's when we start thinking of drugs as a moral/legal issue and say things like "throw them all in jail", etc.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Mayo?
Miracle Whip baby!
I agree whole heartedly.....
Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I wasn't going to say anything regarding this particular example, but.....

Ken, Jbrow certainly didn't put it well or politely, but the fellow originally did say that his brother was addicted to prescription drugs. It wasn't an accident that he had them. I want to be respectful to all here on this issue, but I think the point is that when we speak of actual people we know or that others know, we offer our condolences (as we should) and think it a sad thing, a health issue. But when we speak in generalities without a human face that's when we start thinking of drugs as a moral/legal issue and say things like "throw them all in jail", etc.
Truthfully it was Walking Buffalo's comment that presented the point, which was put forth clearly in my opinion. I simply took a stab at Ken for blowing off his entirely valid challenge of Ken's failure in logic.

Okotokian has spelled it out well.

As a generality Ken, you would have thrown his brother in jail for having weed according to your previous statements.

once you find out that it is in fact a brother of someone on AO that has passed away (the cause in this situation has no weight), you suddenly show compassion.

This makes me think you, Ken, are in fact entirely stupid or a morally corrupt individual.

You express your condolences for his deceased brother in one hand, but wholeheartedly would have jailed him for life if he was ever a user of weed.

Thats completely insane. If you truly think like that, you need help.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:

You express your condolences for his deceased brother in one hand, but wholeheartedly would have jailed him for life if he was ever a user of weed.
Thats completely insane. If you truly think like that, you need help.
still there are we?

His brother died. Ergo the compassion.

He didn't do illegal drugs. He died of what I am to assume was wrong diagnosis and medication.

But yes, if people BREAK LAWS THEY SHOULD BE HELD LIABLE FOR THEIR CRIMES.

THAT is completely insane???

Get a grip.