Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
And some don't even watch old westerns , they just make crap up.
Love it
Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray284 View Post
If you are a trapper, Photographer or any job that requires you to be on your own in the bush you can take a test and obtain a permit for concealed carry while you are working.I have not heard of any trouble arising from this or anyone having to use a handgun for protection from any animal
We are all photographers here.Could you be so kind to advise if we have to be professional photographers to apply for concealed carry?
Thanks
Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 PM

As a bow hunter and a fisherman I would feel better if I and my family were allowed to carry a firearm. Also in Montana they have open carry, I go there quite a bit and still have NEVER seen a sidearm on the street. The whole argument about the carrying of a firearm will create crime is a rouse by the left.

P.S. I am number 700 on the list just to give you a update on the count.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I couldn't even bother trying to do the math on how many a day that would be!
Cat
I saw 5 grizzlys over a 4 hour period in Kananaskis, then saw 3 the next day, and 2 on my way home the day after that. I don't hunt, and rarely am in the bush for fishing, so I'm not sure why it seems so far fetched?

Cheers,
Jay
Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
If it gives hunters and trappers easier access to sidearms I don't have a problem with that. If it allows inner city youth and criminals to carry then I'm against it.
OK....finally I agree with you

Thank you
Old 12-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
So tell us what changes lately have been beneficial overall????
How about the obvious.

They pretended to scrap the registry,

didn't they?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
As a bow hunter and a fisherman I would feel better if I and my family were allowed to carry a firearm. Also in Montana they have open carry, I go there quite a bit and still have NEVER seen a sidearm on the street. The whole argument about the carrying of a firearm will create crime is a rouse by the left.
Stats say otherwise. Our friends down south have way more guns and way more murders aswell. When's the last school shooting you can remember in Canada ?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfboOt1bJcA

Bears. Now you're putting the whole station in jeopardy.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Stats say otherwise. Our friends down south have way more guns and way more murders aswell. When's the last school shooting you can remember in Canada ?
Taber
Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
So one question, and truly honest here - if you're hunting in the bush, don't you already have a gun? What's the need for a second gun? Is it simply a matter of being able to draw and shoot quicker?

And for the hunters who feel like the stance against this is based on hunters being criminals, and wide brushes, and you carry them now and so on...

My perspective is not that what-so-ever. My perspective is that if it's easier for you to get them, it's easier for everyone else to get them. And if there's something you're allowed to have, then many more stores will sell them, and current stores will sell more. At the end of the day, it's simple math - more guns, more crimes as a result of guns. This provides opportunities for crimes to be committed using guns that would not normally would have been committed (the multitude of school shootings being an example).

As for the argument of 'would you commit a crime against me if you saw me carrying a gun' can only be met with what do we see from our southerly neighbors? Maybe it deters some, and others becomes a 'my gun is bigger than your gun' match...so the answer would be absolutely, yes, happens all the time.

The petition is being requested as a means of protection. As per my original post, protection from what? If it's animals only, as in the case of hunting, perhaps laws that provide people with a valid hunting license/ticket the means to carry...only while hunting. Otherwise, can't imagine what we need protection from.

Cheers,
Jay
For myself the sidearm would be late summer fishing on trout streams with berry bushes nearby and summer horse riding
Old 12-22-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
There are a lot more people as well, and your argument about school shootings can be skewed an way you look at it .
There was a one not too long ago where the gunman was killed by a teacher before killing anybody .
Statistics and polls are so one sided that an argument on either pro or con really is lame IMO.
real numbers may be a better way to look at it.
I have many friends Stateside, and the number that carry compared to the number that don't is about equal.

Cat
Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
Taber
Wasn't that in the early 2000's ? I vaguely remember it.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Gone Hunting

"Maybe it deters some, and others becomes a 'my gun is bigger than your gun' match...so the answer would be absolutely, yes, happens all the time."

Any data on this. How often does it happen.

More guns= more crime any data on this?

If criminals can't get guns as registered licensed gun owners, they will turn away from their wicked ways, rather than continue to get them where they do now?????? Really???

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-22-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Taber
Taber was 1999...and there have been a few more since then, maybe 5 or so - how many school shooting in the states this year? Or even the last 6 months? Or even this month?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I saw 5 grizzlys over a 4 hour period in Kananaskis, then saw 3 the next day, and 2 on my way home the day after that. I don't hunt, and rarely am in the bush for fishing, so I'm not sure why it seems so far fetched?
Just seeing a bear and actually having an encounter with a bear , aren't necessarily the same thing.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There are a lot more people as well, and your argument about school shootings can be skewed an way you look at it .
There was a one not too long ago where the gunman was killed by a teacher before killing anybody .
Statistics and polls are so one sided that an argument on either pro or con really is lame IMO.
real numbers may be a better way to look at it.
I have many friends Stateside, and the number that carry compared to the number that don't is about equal.

Cat
I'm obviously not anti gun as I own multiple guns. I think more guns in the hands of people who use them for defence is a bad idea. Now a days you go to the bar with your friends a ruckus breaks out and a few guys get punched in the face, add drunks and guns to that mix and see how much safer you feel.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
How about the obvious.

They pretended to scrap the registry,

didn't they?

So your argument is, that is an example of what you think is beneficial over all??

Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Wasn't that in the early 2000's ? I vaguely remember it.
My cousin was shot at Taber. I remember it.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
"Maybe it deters some, and others becomes a 'my gun is bigger than your gun' match...so the answer would be absolutely, yes, happens all the time."

If criminals can't get guns as registered licensed gun owners, they will turn away from their wicked ways, rather than continue to get them where they do now?????? Really???
By your logic the USA would be the safest place on earth. But it's not nearly 10000 people a year get murdered mostly by guns.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
My cousin was shot at Taber. I remember it.
Sorry to hear that.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Do you mean when a firearm just jumped up and started shooting scholl kids, or do you mean when some whacko went off the rails like the guy without the gun on the Greyhound. Wonder what would have happened there is a passenger was 'packin'?HMMM?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:

1)No Mr. Redfrog, I don't have any data that I care to look up, just what I see and read every day.

2)Yes, I stated them earlier in the 'guns crimes per capita' data ealier in this thread.

3)I didn't say anything like that what-so-ever, I said, if it's easier for you to get, it's easier for them to get. It also puts more guns in the market, allowing more guns to be gained illegally (theft of an honest hunter, black market, etc), and thirdly, puts more guns in the hands of people that would not have otherwise committed the crime without the access - mental health people come to mind primarily.

Cheers
Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you mean when a firearm just jumped up and started shooting scholl kids, or do you mean when some whacko went off the rails like the guy without the gun on the Greyhound. Wonder what would have happened there is a passenger was 'packin'?HMMM?
Wonder what would have happened if the perp had a gun and killed 10 people in the bus ?

You really think the world is like a duke movie where good guys and bad guys are easy to spot ad nobody ever gets shot by mistake.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
"Hundreds of bear encounters." "Hundreds of bear encounters."
Really?????

So what did you do in these cases. Advance to the rear.
He has a hot dog cart at the zoo?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
By your logic the USA would be the safest place on earth. But it's not nearly 10000 people a year get murdered mostly by guns.
How many don't get shot, because some3one is carrying.??

I go to the states a lot and always to states with open carry, and I feel as safe as when I'm home in downtown Bodo.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
For myself the sidearm would be late summer fishing on trout streams with berry bushes nearby and summer horse riding
And that would be reasonable. Or teach your horse karate!

I'm just not sure how the law could be structured for this. I still feel it opens the door too much for the not nature lover so to speak to just have an
Old 12-22-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:

I go to the states a lot and always to states with open carry, and I feel as safe as when I'm home in downtown Bodo.
Enlighten us, how many don't get shot, because someone is carrying?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry for ignorance.Are they all killed by (could be) victims of crime,acting in self defense ?
OR mostly kills were made by criminals, who have obtained their guns unlawfully(without even care what gun law states,or probably backed up by lawyers who explained all loopholes in any gun laws ) ?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

Do those states include inner cities of large metropolitan areas ?.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Wonder what would have happened if the perp had a gun and killed 10 people in the bus ?

You really think the world is like a duke movie where good guys and bad guys are easy to spot ad nobody ever gets shot by mistake.
I'm gonna take a wild guess here that guy who cutting the head off a bus passenger is a bad guy. A naked guy who is chasing a woman down the stret while waving a knife and screaming loudly, is a bad guy. A guy who is kicking in my door and makes it past my dog... Well let's just say we won't have to worry about his intentions or his poor unhappy childhood.

I practise target id all year round.