Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. As for the USA vs Britain, the British have one of the highest rates of violent crime in the world, so perhaps that is why their rulers made up such strict firearms laws. The British just can't be trusted to carry firearms.
And it sure seems to be working.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"The largest empire to ever gracefully relinquish power" Is that what an ass whoopin' is called "over there"?
?? Not sure wich part of the globe incompassing empire you speak of sir the thirteen colonies. We went over that.
Ever been on a nato small forces exercise,so one can get a feel for this mighty us military lol cause watching the dutch hand them there poop was priceless.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
So calling me full of is outspoken not rude. Got ya. I'd love to see your outspokenness first hand. I'll pay your airfare down to see you spit your hatred for the US.

Sounds real civilized.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Gone Hunting

"For something people are so passionate about, it does not appear that much time is actually spent thinking things threw."

I guessing you meant through and not threw as in threw up.

I agree. If you feel so passionate about running someone else's life and deciding what they should be doing, then you need to spend a lot less time on the keyboard with senseless ramblings and more time doing in depth research on the effectiveness of gun control and confiscation. Then come back with a cogent argument.

Again if you feel you can't be trusted with a firearm, I'll support your choice.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
So calling me full of is outspoken not rude. Got ya. I'd love to see your outspokenness first hand. I'll pay your airfare down to see you spit your hatred for the US.

Cause there so polite. actually only the quoted statement is fos. Being a canadian im sure your a fine guy whom is equally out spoken of your own beliefs.

Last edited by fish gunner; 12-21-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
?? Not sure wich part of the globe incompassing empire you speak of sir the thirteen colonies. We went over that.
Ever been on a nato small forces exercise,so one can get a feel for this mighty us military lol cause watching the dutch hand them there poop was priceless.
The Dutch????? Time to pull your head out of the dyke. Your rambling Rose.

The Brits. The Brits. try to focus. we'rte talking about the Brits and how they lost every scrap of real estate they've ever had, except for the where what's her name lives.

Calling a retreat an advance to the rear still means a retreat.

Bashing the U.S. military does not in any way make the British armed forces look better. You need to realize that in spite of the excellent people in the British Armed forces, Britain's day in the sun has long passed. as a country it is just hanging on..

Old 12-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
The Dutch????? Time to pull your head out of the dyke. Your rambling Rose.

The Brits. The Brits. try to focus. we'rte talking about the Brits and how they lost every scrap of real estate they've ever had, except for the where what's her name lives.

Calling a retreat an advance to the rear still means a retreat.

Bashing the U.S. military does not in any way make the British armed forces look better. You need to realize that in spite of the excellent people in the British Armed forces, Britain's day in the sun has long passed. as a country it is just hanging on..
Im trying to point out most of the British empire was handed back peacfully not all but most.
A US soldier is a fine solider. Had pints and brewha's witth many. the lack of resolve of the nation is the weakness not the men.
Btw I signed the petition.

Last edited by fish gunner; 12-21-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
"For something people are so passionate about, it does not appear that much time is actually spent thinking things threw."

I guessing you meant through and not threw as in threw up.

I agree. If you feel so passionate about running someone else's life and deciding what they should be doing, then you need to spend a lot less time on the keyboard with senseless ramblings and more time doing in depth research on the effectiveness of gun control and confiscation. Then come back with a cogent argument.

Again if you feel you can't be trusted with a firearm, I'll support your choice.
No, I meant, think things threw. As in, "Take a knee and think things threw".

My point, is rather than using an online protest, which environmentalists have proven ineffectual, but feel-good, it would be more useful to identify some small battles and act on them in a way which has more of an impact.

My guess would that <10% of those people joining the feel-good protest have ever written their representatives or anyone else for that matter.

If all those people signing their names would write their representatives and file a FOI request on various issues, a whole lot more would be accomplished.

There's a lot of guys willing to rant and rave, but very very few willing (and possibly able) to take the necessary steps to organize effectively and follow through in a professional manner.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Gone Hunting

"the lack of resolve of the nation is the weakness not the men."

At last a point we can agree upon.

Beeguy Posting "Take a knee and think it threw" sums up your argument perfectly.It must be a stategy put forth at the troll convention under the bridge. The last guy that used that quote had no credibility either.

Now you have advice on how to get open carry passed.

If a shizophenic threatens suicide , is it a hostage taking incident?

You're arguing both sides. Is that becuase you can't unscramble your thoughts or because you would just like to be right for once.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Our police have guns wouldn't that equal out that similarity. Ah no because the us has a fire arm for every citzen . 3x as lightly to die of a gunshot just because one lives in that country. Come on . Our system sure looks better on paper.
There are quite a few countries with much higher body counts and supposedly fewer firearms. Jamaica and Britain come to mind among others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENGUN View Post
During hunting I could understand. But either way it won't happen. As per the American model, we clearly have better safety figures and it is, at least to some degree, because of the rules we have in place. Protection from people? I think there would be a lot of vigilantes and more problems.

As for the being able to kill with a rifle from really far. How many thugs are getting out and practising their shot? How will they get to the best vantage point and account for variables? With a hundgun they just conceal it and walk up - BOOM - and run. The bad guys are already carrying them and we don;t know. And now everyone around that just witnessed the situation pulls out (they're now legal as per the hypothetical) their gun and starts firing as well. More innocents hurt, more choas... the list goes on.
So if someones starts shooting through the walls of your house you would immediately hide the guns to protect the innocent. Riight!

Makes sense to me. And cops never have a stray shot.

Truth be known, those diligent enough to carry usually have a higher level of gun competence than most police.

560 now.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!

Last edited by Tactical Lever; 12-21-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:03 PM

I wonder if those who arguing on this thread actually have handguns and spend enough time on a range?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I wonder if those who arguing on this thread actually have handgun and spend enough time on a range?
Well I know a few that don't have! But most do (that are arguing for).

I never get "enough" time but I'm not terrible. I suspect I would be a little better if I carried everywhere, and thus increase my time informally plinking and chasing game with them.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Da Nile is the source of this thread.

There is something to be said for identifying attainable goals.

Baby steps.
True.
Hunting with handguns might be attainable someday. Id like to grouse or deer hunt with a handgun.

As far as open carry goes, not likely. People are too stupid to even understand the hunting draw system, and we should support them carrying a handgun??

Selling dynamite at Walmart would make more sense.

Lots of guys say " make the process tougher". Problem is, most of the guys and gals who are in charge of these permits and courses are stupider than the applicant.

Seriously. Go to an Edmonton gun show sometime and just walk around and listen to the way people talk. Get a coffee, sit at a table with some other guys, and listen how they talk. It's friggin spooky.

Listening to constant references to Hitler etc etc.

As disrepectful as this may sound, things will be different after a generation from this century dies off. Remember, not every old person " built" this country. Some are just old bastards.

Our own people are our worst enemy.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 PM

Smile Way to go Randy

X's 2 welcome back!

Old Bastards you say?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I wonder if those who arguing on this thread actually have handguns and spend enough time on a range?
or own a firearm period, or even go outside for that matter.

Signed! #587

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 12-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Make up whatever excuses that you want, it's a fact that the British lost the American Revolution. Laugh at the Americans if you want, but that doesn't change the facts. If anyone should be laughed at for having such a high rate of violent crimes, it's Britain.
To be fair the British never fought very hard to keep it because they did not consider those colonies all that important.
They had a large portion of NA still, a war in Europe to support in defence of England herself and... it was thought the American Colonies would probably collapese eventually and fall back to them.

In other words the idea of a British defeat is a bit of an overstatement.
The fact is the British made a half hearted effort to quell an uprising and then weighed the worth of commiting more to it or cutting losses in favour of their homeland.

As for open carry I'd like that for myself and for most guys here....for hunting of small game. I'd also like to be able to go to a buddys place out in the country and plink withoiut worrying that we were not at a registered range.

However... I look around and watch people and cannot say that I would like to see a pretty big chunk of the population at large walking around with a sidearm.

I think we'd certainly have to tighten up the licensing system before any such law would be considered... we already ahve too many proven idiots that managed to pass those tests.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 12-21-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
True.
Hunting with handguns might be attainable someday. Id like to grouse or deer hunt with a handgun.

As far as open carry goes, not likely. People are too stupid to even understand the hunting draw system, and we should support them carrying a handgun??

Lots of guys say " make the process tougher". Problem is, most of the guys and gals who are in charge of these permits and courses are stupider than the applicant.

Seriously. Go to an Edmonton gun show sometime and just walk around and listen to the way people talk. Get a coffee, sit at a table with some other guys, and listen how they talk. It's friggin spooky.

As disrepectful as this may sound, things will be different after a generation from this century dies off. Remember, not every old person " built" this country. Some are just old bastards.

Thank you for the honest real world reality check .I my self would not even pass the requirements I would like to see in place for a permit to carry.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
This should have been posted in the beginning:

We, the people, call on the Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper, & the Premier of Alberta, Alison Redford, to allow licensed & certified, law abiding citizens open carry permits for the use of self defence in the Province of Alberta.

This will allow law abiding citizens 18 years of age & older, who have passed a safety background check, as well as a federally approved safety course, the right to openly bear arms.

This petition is very specifically about open carry for self defense.

Best of luck.
So why are you scared
Old 12-21-2013, 11:58 PM

Petition signed and supported. Thx.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
True.

Spot on.

Too many wannabes and too many idiots.

Just today I had an argument with a guy driving on the wrong side of the road.
After I explained that the street was a two-way for the last 14 years that I've been using it...he still argued that I was wrong.

Then he tried to make a left onto another streets off ramp....into more oncoming traffic and on a divided road. ...137th Ave

Worse still....seeing what he was doing someone else followed him.

Can you imagine either guy armed?
Old 12-22-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Spot on.

Too many wannabes and too many idiots.

Just today I had an argument with a guy driving on the wrong side of the road.
After I explained that the street was a two-way for the last 14 years that I've been using it...he still argued that I was wrong.

Then he tried to make a left onto another streets off ramp....into more oncoming traffic and on a divided road. ...137th Ave

Worse still....seeing what he was doing someone else followed him.

Can you imagine either guy armed?
I am sure they would be quite polite to each other
Old 12-22-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
The expiditonary forces the terrorists defeated in the thirteen colonies. In now way reflects on the might of the British empire that was at the same time defeating Napoleon and freeing europe from tyranny. Nice try though.
When the US Forces actually get a win on their own please let me know, unless we're discussing granada. At roughly which time the British had just sailed a fleet half way round the world to defeat a first world military in their own back yard.
If it wasn't for the US England would be speaking German,
But who really cares
Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
sorry but its timmy, paul, don, rob, jack and so on. not just one guy that's doing it. its a lot of guys. I agree that as a responsible restricted owner it would be nice to carry but as a whole long gun guys are screwing it up. yes a lot of us are always with in the law but you gotta look at how many are not. beside's as stated before a hand gun for bear protection is not viable. your better off with a shot gun or bear spray. and yes ive heard every bear spray down side but watch a few vids on it. it has come a long way. I live in grizz country and had some very close calls my self once with no weapon and once with just a bow. scary stuff but I knew what to do and got out ok. a hand gun is a very poor choice for defence in that senerio.
Again
JMO
Rob
Who really cares if it's good for bear protection.
I can go anywhere and do anything legal with my 300 bee or mini 14 but somehow you people think if I have a Ruger single six all hell will break loose.
Give your head a shake, it's really hard to understand how people can't see that criminals are just that, and everybody else should not be punished because of them.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
So whilst the british are defeating the most powerful army on earth at that time (the french) fielding a force in the tens of thousands if not hunderds of thousands with naval support to rival any nation on earth . The loss of thirteen colonies to a guerilla terrorist force by a few thousand troops unsupported thosands of miles of miles from home . Which I might add a few short years later we burnt down their capital with a small regular force supported mostly by natives and militia. One has to weigh the reality of the loss of the sothern portion of NA vs upper canada . We still won lol.
So why aren't you still in the promised land
Old 12-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfriver View Post
If it wasn't for the US England would be speaking German,
But who really cares
Face palm,if it wasn't for britan the US would be speaking French along with the germans. If the commonwealth did not protect the Atlantic seaboard where would the US be . You guys really need to read more.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
True.

X2
Old 12-22-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Face palm,if it wasn't for britan the US would be speaking French along with the germans. If the commonwealth did not protect the Atlantic seaboard where would the US be . You guys really need to read more.
So why would you come to this little colony if it's such a paradise over there?
Old 12-22-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
I agree but as stated before look at oilfield signs all shot up. guys are just screwing all of us and as a government you have to look at that..
id love to see it happen as id make a tonn of cash because of it. but I want whats best for our safety and a lot of guys are just not safe!
So your saying that you should be punished because someone else breaks the law.
Why don't you give up your atv's because people are driving in creeks.
the logic of some is quite unlogical.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:49 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfriver View Post
So why would you come to this little colony if it's such a paradise over there?
Im not in a colony im in canada . Becase I choose to, I can live in the US or umpteen other countries, I choose canada . The greatest country ime, scotland is where my heart will be buried but my body will be laid here. For my part I have earned the right to live where I choose. I love Australia however its to hot and naturally dangerous. I love New Zealand but its too far removed from the rest of the planet. I love canada for the people and the weather I love winter. I speak from a life of travel. the british system if not perfect is perhas the most successfully adopted. The though of an society so feared of each other that they resort to arming themselves as a solution is mind boggling . Fix the problem, cure the ills not gate seperate , segregate the society. Fix it . Our society is not perfect but the idea of needing a fire arm to protect ones self is ludicrous.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am sure they would be quite polite to each other
Or they'd shoot the store clerk and hold the door for the robber...lol