Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 AM

I can't believe they've allowed this wreck of a thread to continue this long.

Shame on a few of you guys. Should probably stick to fishing........

All I really have to say at this point is how soon we forget the names of our fellow outdoorsmen, Bob Wagner and Robert Bennet.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

All I really have to say at this point is how soon we forget the names of our fellow outdoorsmen, Bob Wagner and Robert Bennet.
??
Old 12-22-2013, 01:13 AM

This thread is a good example against open or concealed carry
Old 12-22-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
??
It wasn't a riddle BDB.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfriver View Post
Who really cares if it's good for bear protection.
I can go anywhere and do anything legal with my 300 bee or mini 14 but somehow you people think if I have a Ruger single six all hell will break loose.
Give your head a shake, it's really hard to understand how people can't see that criminals are just that, and everybody else should not be punished because of them.
Quote:

No idea who those guys are/were.

It is interesting that the petition does not identify the setting in which they are requesting a permit to carry for self defense.

There is a big difference between shooting a predator in a rural setting and a person in an urban setting.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
??
Quote:
It wasn't a riddle BDB.
Can't say it was very clear either.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Can't say it was very clear either.
Hypocrite.

Mr Wagner was a bowhunter from Didsbury attacked and killed by a grizzly a few years ago. Mr Bennet was attacked by a grizzly and survived due to having a sidearm. It was featured in an AO article authored by TJ Schwanky (you buy the magazine, right???)

I support open carry in the bush and for the most part in public too.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
True.
Seriously. Go to an Edmonton gun show sometime and just walk around and listen to the way people talk. Get a coffee, sit at a table with some other guys, and listen how they talk. It's friggin spooky.
Not too long ago a friend and I had a guy at a local gun counter tell me all about the security system he's setup for his gun safe that shoots tranquilizer darts at you if you enter the wrong code into a key pad. Couldn't have anyone stealing his 1" @ 1000 yards no 4 Enfield and other treasures.

Thought to myself that was kinda odd but I had nowhere to be really so we let him continue.

Then he went on to tell us all about how he put a .50 BMG round through some guys truck because he had stolen all of his guns he had at his cousin's house and was returning for some reason. Apparently the RCMP had given him a note authorizing him to use deadly force but he didn't for some reason I don't recall. Of course if pushed he would "take the guy apart". Apparently this lead to to construct the aforementioned tranquilizer dart system along with other "secret" more dangerous security gadgets he didn't want to reveal.

Seriously, I have a witness to the entire conversation.

The idea that this guy could legally have a loaded pistol in his pocket as he prowls Walmart for knockout juice to load up his darts does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Not too long ago a friend and I had a guy at a local gun counter tell me all about the security system he's setup for his gun safe that shoots tranquilizer darts at you if you enter the wrong code into a key pad. Couldn't have anyone stealing his 1" @ 1000 yards no 4 Enfield and other treasures.

Thought to myself that was kinda odd but I had nowhere to be really so we let him continue.

Then he went on to tell us all about how he put a .50 BMG round through some guys truck because he had stolen all of his guns he had at his cousin's house and was returning for some reason. Apparently the RCMP had given him a note authorizing him to use deadly force but he didn't for some reason I don't recall. Of course if pushed he would "take the guy apart". Apparently this lead to to construct the aforementioned tranquilizer dart system along with other "secret" more dangerous security gadgets he didn't want to reveal.

Seriously, I have a witness to the entire conversation.

The idea that this guy could legally have a loaded pistol in his pocket as he prowls Walmart for knockout juice to load up his darts does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
I said cyanide dipped, not tranquilizer.....sheeesh.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:58 AM

In all fairness though, MW, you'll find liars, blowhards and poseurs in every crowd. Giving credibility to that individual's words would have the average urbanite thinking that ANY change to our gun laws would have random shoot outs in the street being a common occurance.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:13 AM

i have a feeling that most members on here would open carry just to be "cool".

Do anyone have a legitimate reason for open carry, or is it just because you want to?

would your life change from having open carry vs not? i think the answer for the majority is no.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:18 AM

Go try some early season bowhunting in bear country DK then get back to us. Stop thinking like a ref.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:36 AM

I definitely support open carry.

I don't want to sound cliche, but as a woman I think having a firearm on your person is an excellent idea. I have been caught in situations where I wish I had my Beretta on my hip because they would have played out a lot differently. Having to carry dog mace as the only means to defend yourself is not as effective as having 40 calibers of terrifying strapped to your belt. Crime rates would go down drastically if criminals had to give a second thought to who they attack due to the possibility that their potential victim is "packing".

In Canada we have an extensive process to get your restricted gun license that, as you all know, includes competency testing, extensive background checks, mental stability checks, and even calling references. I think if you're able to pass that, you've earned the right to carry your firearm.

People buy handguns for protection, not to shoot at a paper target at the range once in a while. Why not use them for what they're intended for? I guarantee that almost no one would have to take their weapon out of their holster if an open carry law was passed. Why? Because the sight of it is deterrent enough to criminals.

Responsible gun owners don't contribute to crime rates. Criminals don't care about gun laws, or any laws at all, hence why they are CRIMINALS. You cannot use statistics to try and prove your anti-carry argument because those statistics aren't even relevant.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Go try some early season bowhunting in bear country DK then get back to us. Stop thinking like a ref.
Hahaha loved the ref part.

But I was referring to what the petition is set out for, and that being for self defense. Sure I could see wilderness open carry being a viable option.

But then the govt would have to define wilderness. Is it acreages and/or crown or just not within city/town limits?
Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
In all fairness though, MW, you'll find liars, blowhards and poseurs in every crowd.
Most of them aren't in a position to but a bullet in my rear when they are digging for change in their pocket in the checkout line of the Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickaclarke View Post
People buy handguns for protection, not to shoot at a paper target at the range once in a while. Why not use them for what they're intended for? I guarantee that almost no one would have to take their weapon out of their holster if an open carry law was passed. Why? Because the sight of it is deterrent enough to criminals.
I can't claim to understand what a woman would feel like in threatening situations but here's something to think about. I'm bigger and dumber than most guys which leads me to not being very careful at times. This has got me in trouble more than once, a little healthy caution is a good thing.

I suggest you consider that having that "pistol on your hip" confidence could get you in trouble too.

Also, police training studies have shown many times that if an an attacker gets within 20 feet before a pistol is drawn it's not going to do any good. Can you draw and fire your pistol effectively in under 2 seconds? I can't. Somebody coming after you with a crowbar or something can cover thirty feet of ground in 2 seconds. Better to avoid trouble in the first place and learn to effectively defend yourself with your hands if need be.

You're also very unlikely to punch somebody in the face when digging for change in your pocket in the checkout line at Walmart.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
??
No but that doesn't mean that all of us know who the two you refered to were or what their significance to the topic might be.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hypocrite.

Mr Wagner was a bowhunter from Didsbury attacked and killed by a grizzly a few years ago. Mr Bennet was attacked by a grizzly and survived due to having a sidearm. It was featured in an AO article authored by TJ Schwanky (you buy the magazine, right???)

I support open carry in the bush and for the most part in public too.

Tree we've hashed that one over exhaustively.
Handguns are a poor defence against bears...spray has been proven to be more effective overall.
Second.... there is no proof that the first chap would have been better off with a sidearm.

Third.... most folks here have no issue with carrying a handgun in the bush if it makes people feel better but THAT is not what the petition is asking for.

Forth...is there proof that the second guy would not have survived had he used spray?

And finally... until you've had someone in your sights and dropped em you have no idea whether you'll be able to or not...regardless of how well trained you are or how convinced you are otherwise.
You also have no idea what that feels like...for the rest of your life so be careful what you wish for.

Handguns for defence in the hands of most people pose a greater threat to themselves and innocents than to any agressive baddy out there.
That to has been proven again and again.

Significant changes to criminal law, gun law and training would be required and most folks are just to prone to look for the quick way of doing things for that to happen.
We do not need a bunch of wannabe fantasy prone George Zimmermans running about with an overactive imagination, fingering their triggers every time they see someone in a hoody.

Sorry buddy... I draw the line at the point where we might see those that satisfied a once in a lifetime test designed so that a 12 year old could read the book once and pass it... carrying sidearms for defence in towns and cities.
When the chit hits the fan... there is a lot going on and it is as cut and dry as recognizing a baddy drawing and firing.
Normal nice people tend to be overwhelmed in the face of hate or violence and perceptions, logic and the ability to unfreeze and act are more often paralized than not.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 12-22-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Most of them aren't in a position to but a bullet in my rear when they are digging for change in their pocket in the checkout line of the Walmart.

I can't claim to understand what a woman would feel like in threatening situations but here's something to think about. I'm bigger and dumber than most guys which leads me to not being very careful at times. This has got me in trouble more than once, a little healthy caution is a good thing.

I suggest you consider that having that "pistol on your hip" confidence could get you in trouble too.

Also, police training studies have shown many times that if an an attacker gets within 20 feet before a pistol is drawn it's not going to do any good. Can you draw and fire your pistol effectively in under 2 seconds? I can't. Somebody coming after you with a crowbar or something can cover thirty feet of ground in 2 seconds. Better to avoid trouble in the first place and learn to effectively defend yourself with your hands if need be.

You're also very unlikely to punch somebody in the face when digging for change in your pocket in the checkout line at Walmart.
There was a post here a few months back that linked to a study showing exactly how un-deadly handguns really are.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:46 AM

So BDB you're gonna trust bearspray over lead? When I had my atc interview the guy said he wasn't to trusting in bearspray . He suggested a air horn with gun powder and lead as backup.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
So BDB you're gonna trust bearspray over lead? When I had my atc interview the guy said he wasn't to trusting in bearspray . He suggested a air horn with gun powder and lead as backup.
Hunderds of bear encounters never needed either. Very simple solution see bear, leave .
Old 12-22-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Hunderds of bear encounters never needed either. Very simple solution see bear, leave .
True enough but I'd rather be prepared for the encounters that equalisers are needed. Better to have and not use then not have and need. To each their own but I'm very partial to having my sidearm with me and hope I don't get in a situation where I have to use it.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevGuy View Post
I'm going to be honest. I don't want open or concealed carry in Canada.

What makes more sense and what I want is wilderness carry. I wanna be able to take my handgun out in the bush.
I like that option if a possibility. It would be nice to whack gophers with a .22 as well...
Old 12-22-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:

And then the micro managing deniers show up.

Why would anyone smart enough to get a permit go "looking" for trouble? How often does it happen where open carry or CCW is allowed. Sounds more like something a criminal tough guy would do, not a tested, vetted and approved license holder.

Ian Thompson kept criminals from burning his home down with him inside it with a handgun. Tens of thousands of dollars in court costs later he was acquitted. People with control issues created the laws that allowed that atrocity to happen.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
This thread is a good example against open or concealed carry
Why is that?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-22-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Nothing more important than being cool out fencing, or checking cows.
Do anyone have a legitimate reason for open carry, or is it just because you want to?
Yes. Varmint control both the wild and homosapien kind. Where I live it's a minimum 30min police response time. Why should my wife and daughters be forced victims because society won't punish criminals nor allow women a useful self defense tool?

would your life change from having open carry vs not? i think the answer for the majority is no.
Probably not mine but a lot of gophers lives would though. Practice makes perfect just in case the firearm is ever needed in a self defense situation.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Banned

Cool

With a .5 per 100000 deaths in canada from firearm related deaths and wild life related incounters in a similarly low percentage. I feel it is very difficult to suggest a armed trained populace, not following the swiss method. Would reduce these numbers.
Imo the swiss have the best solution.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I honestly can't see myself running around town wearing a handgun, but I certainly would wear a handgun when out in the woods. I would be content being allowed to openly carry a handgun wherever it is legal to discharge a firearm. I would enjoy hunting big game with a handgun, and varmints as well.

As far as self defense from predators such as bears, goes, I would not be carrying a 9mm or a 45ACP, if it's worth carrying a handgun to protect yourself against bears, it's worth carrying one chambered in a proper cartridge. Carrying sidearms in bear country may save a life or two , but I do predict that it would also result in more instances where bears that are supposedly attacking people, would be shot at, and in fact, some people would likely even provoke bears into attacking them, by opening fire on them, when they had no intention of attacking.In fact, based on some previous incidents, I have no doubts that this has already happened.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 AM

Start the petition for open carry and settle for being allowed for hunting. These become like a negotiation,,, no? Think of the petition process, you have to start high in order to allow for hunting.

This should not become a debate about what is effective bear / cougar defence but rather consider carrying a nice scoped handgun for deer or a.410 handgun for grouse - would be great. We like to hunt right?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
What we need is more people to stand up and say they want the law changed, and believe it can be changed. If we feel defeated before we start nothing will ever change.
^^^^This^^^^if you don't believe, your beat before you start.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
With a .5 per 100000 deaths in canada from firearm related deaths and wild life related incounters in a similarly low percentage. I feel it is very difficult to suggest a armed trained populace, not following the swiss method. Would reduce these numbers.
Imo the swiss have the best solution.
Are you for or against?
It seems to me people are making decisions for me that I don't like. If a person were able to carry it would be my decision to or not to. Same as it would be your choice. Nobody has once said it is mandatory to pack. What it all boils down to is free choice.
If you look around there is many cases of irresponsible people. From drivers, parents, gun owners to even guy using crescent wrench for a hammer.