Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:06 PM

There seems to be some people here that would have this discussion turned into a landowner vs.....debate. Nobody is right or wrong in this scenario. But..... Its safe to say that all partys involved in the incedent are idiots that did wrong.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
I completely agree. I'm not familiar with that part of Saskatchewan but my guess is that Louis Reil southbound is a Provincial Highway out of Saskatoon,, I'm not sure about Sask-laws but I'm not sure one can cross a highway with a sled (I could be wrong).

Buddy with gun was also still upset about his cat being ran over.
I have no idea about ohv use in Saskatchewan. It shouldn't matter in the grand scope of things(not a rifle scope) wether you're in town or out of town. It's trespassing no matter how you look at it. Just because the guy has a farm with ten acres or 10000 acres it doesn't make it right.
If I'm at your neighbors on one side and want to go to neighbors on the other side does that give me the right to cross through your yard? In my book no. Do you have the right to set me straight so it does happen again. Absolutely.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Got a real winner here folks.
Someones gotta shed some light on the younger generations thought process if it offends you get off the internet
Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
There seems to be some people here that would have this discussion turned into a landowner vs.....debate. Nobody is right or wrong in this scenario. But..... Its safe to say that all partys involved in the incedent are idiots that did wrong.
It is a unfortunate situation but hopefully a lesson learned
Old 03-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have no idea about ohv use in Saskatchewan. It shouldn't matter in the grand scope of things(not a rifle scope) wether you're in town or out of town. It's trespassing no matter how you look at it. Just because the guy has a farm with ten acres or 10000 acres it doesn't make it right.
If I'm at your neighbors on one side and want to go to neighbors on the other side does that give me the right to cross through your yard? In my book no. Do you have the right to set me straight so it does happen again. Absolutely.
You do know that I agree with you, just different words being used?
Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickyfingers View Post
Someones gotta shed some light on the younger generations thought process if it offends you get off the internet
Not at all. Nothing offensive about it. Just don't think that you can cross my land without some repercussions.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
You do know that I agree with you, just different words being used?
Yes I do lol
Old 03-26-2014, 02:36 PM

Thought I'd share this story since the snow mobiler story is so popular right now!

A few years ago I worked for a company that sprayed herbicide on oil and gas leases. {{In order for oil companies to keep their wells running - they need to get them weed free in order to follow the regulations and minimize fire hazards. Otherwise their well will be against regulations and could be shut down, could result in major fines, etc.}}

Well, most of these well sites are located in the middle of farmers fields and such. In order to navigate through the farmers fields - sometimes you have to drive along fence-lines to see past the meter tall crops. Landowners and farmers - all - sign a contract, agreeing for all maintenance and oil and gas related work to occur, with the guarantee that they be paid a monthly fee while the well operates on their land. Usually it's about $10,000 - $15,000 a year.

Anyways, one of the crews went out to a well site somewhere in Saskatchewan. The land owner came out with a firearm and did nearly the same thing to the crew as to the snow-mobilers in the video floating around the news. Only difference is the land owner fired a round into the windshield of the truck. The herbicide crew left the land under force. Not only did the crew follow the regulations as signed on the contract, but they also had done everything properly by oil and gas regulations. They'd done nothing wrong.

The oil and gas company simply moved their lease from the landowners land, about 50 meters away - on the other side of the fence! The land owner lost his firearms, got sued by the herbicide company, and got sued by each of the crew members. I think the land owner went to jail for a short time too.

All - in - all: pulling out a gun regardless of the situation, is almost always wrong. (only extreme cases - life and death would I see pulling a firearm as resulting in better conflict resolution for all)

In the video of the snowmobilers - the landowner was wrong too. Guns don't solve problems. Laws and regulations solve problems by themselves without the need of excessive force or coercion. Evidence of trespassing is plenty enough to keep it from happening again. (in the case of the snow mobilers)

Anytime a gun or a deadly weapon is involved - it almost always overrides any laws that may have solved the entire situation in and of itself. It could have been a win-win situation, but in my mind - it will be a win - lose - the snowmobilers being the winners and the land owner being the loser in response to the firearm.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz
Old 03-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Banned

All you guys that say it's ok what the landowner did, do you think that if hunters were found trespassing on my property, whether intentionally or not, it will be okay with you if I come charging at you with a gun in my hand, hit you in the head and kick your truck? Yah right, I'm sure you'd just say sorry sir I had it coming? I suppose because they are evil sledders, not true outdoorsmen like hunters, they are fair game for such actions? I can almost guarantee at least some of you would sing a different tune then right?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
All you guys that say it's ok what the landowner did, do you think that if hunters were found trespassing on my property, whether intentionally or not, it will be okay with you if I come charging at you with a gun in my hand, hit you in the head and kick your truck? Yah right, I'm sure you'd just say sorry sir I had it coming? I suppose because they are evil sledders, not true outdoorsmen like hunters, they are fair game for such actions? I can almost guarantee at least some of you would sing a different tune then right?
Would affect me simply because I WOULDNT trespass.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM

I watched the video and this could have been handled way differently...on all fronts, for one the farmer should not have had the shotgun in his hands, slung over his shoulder was enough....and non threatening...and to kick the snow machine and cuff the guy was not called for...

The language and getting in the farmers face not to mention the trespassing was the cause of this....had those guys not been there, there would be no issue.

Cause ....and effect.

LC
Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Not going to make a difference to me. We don't know each other but a would respect your property as I would hope you'd respect mine.
It it was a pipe or axe handle, would it of made a difference?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I watched the video and this could have been handled way differently...on all fronts, for one the farmer should not have had the shotgun in his hands, slung over his shoulder was enough....and non threatening...and to kick the snow machine and cuff the guy was not called for...

The language and getting in the farmers face not to mention the trespassing was the cause of this....had those guys not been there, there would be no issue.

Cause ....and effect.

LC
LC,

In case you didn't notice, there is NO sling on this shotty... How do you carry a weapon like this safely with no sling ? One easy way would be like this fella did, even had the chamber open bypassing a little button called the safety
Old 03-26-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Would affect me simply because I WOULDNT trespass.
Nice comment.

Finally the person the world's been looking for. The person that has or never will make a mistake.

Love it. He very clearly said intentional or not.

Maps change. Land ownership changes.

Wish I was perfect. Maybe one day.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:15 PM

Some snowmobilers simply have no respect for private property.

Their biggest justification is " we arent hurting anyone".

If you dont own it, stay off it!

Now, farmer boy is an idiot. He had a shotgun in his hand. He wasnt levelling it at anyone. He had it in his hand.

Slapping that guy was stupid. Farmer was looking for trouble then so I have zero sympathy for him.

Here is what I prefer happen :

Farmer gets charged with assault, mischief and firearms offense, and snowmobile guy hits some old barbed wire at 90 mph.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 03-26-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
Nice comment.

Finally the person the world's been looking for. The person that has or never will make a mistake.

Lotta guys like that on here.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Lotta guys like that on here.
Oh well

Only proves your point of elitist true outdoorsmen vs skum sledders.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
LC,

In case you didn't notice, there is NO sling on this shotty... How do you carry a weapon like this safely with no sling ? One easy way would be like this fella did, even had the chamber open bypassing a little button called the safety
True...just thought the addition of the sling would leave both hands free to bang two heads together

LC
Old 03-26-2014, 04:30 PM

Good one lefty. Lol
Old 03-26-2014, 04:42 PM

The trend I see here. Some think the law only counts when it's convenient.

"They did wrong by me by trespassing. Thus meaning the law no longer applies to Me. "

The law is the law. The rest is opinion.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
The trend I see here. Some think the law only counts when it's convenient.

"They did wrong by me by trespassing. Thus meaning the law no longer applies to Me. "

The law is the law. The rest is opinion.
What law bid he (landowner) break in regards to the gun? No where did he threaten anybody with it.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:59 PM

The farmer was an idiot . He wasn't on his own property when he confronts them .The first words out of his mouth are "get off my property"and then starts kicking the guys sled and slaps the other sledder! He say's he took his gun because he was afraid he might get beat up without it. If he would have been calm and reasonable I am betting they would have turned around and gone on their way. He absolutely should lose his firearms like anyone else would if they pulled a stupid stunt like that. The trespass thing doesn't wash because this happened, not on his land but his neighbors. Better ways to handle it . This kind of BS is what makes the whole firearm community look like a bunch of irresponsible idiots spoiling for a fight.

Edit: the idea that he was just out on his land hunting is a no go too because he said right in the video he took the gun to the confrontation for protection in case a fight broke out (which he tried several time to start).
Old 03-26-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Some snowmobilers simply have no respect for private property.

Their biggest justification is " we arent hurting anyone".

If you dont own it, stay off it!

Now, farmer boy is an idiot. He had a shotgun in his hand. He wasnt levelling it at anyone. He had it in his hand.

Slapping that guy was stupid. Farmer was looking for trouble then so I have zero sympathy for him.

Here is what I prefer happen :

Farmer gets charged with assault, mischief and firearms offense, and snowmobile guy hits some old barbed wire at 90 mph.

and a fresh set of batteries on the go pro, so Landowner can replay Smuggy's contrite little face on the big tv in Landowners trophy room LOL
Old 03-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nice comment.

If you only go on land you have verbal or written permission to be on, how do you trespass.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
What law bid he (landowner) break in regards to the gun? No where did he threaten anybody with it.
Where did I so much as mention a gun. You can't hit people. You can't kick people's property. And I might be wrong. But I don't belive so.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Trespassers are fair game, whether sledders or hunters.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Banned

Should have brought an atlatl instead.

Or would that just add fuel to the bow hunters fire?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
If you only go on land you have verbal or written permission to be on, how do you trespass.
Your missing the point. Your not a flawless person. You can make mistakes. Become disoriented. Land ownership can change without your knowing.

You could get hurt. The only way of surviving is to cross some one field to get to help and save your life.

There's a million scenarios. You saying it's physically impossible for you to make the mistake or find yourself in a situation where you are on land that you do not have permission. Is complete and utter ignorance. I'm sorry if that offends you.

Your not perfect and just as capable of mistakes as the next guy. If you can't admit that. Then I can't say anymore.

I'm not saying trespassing is right. But in the context given. Unintentional trespassing is a possibility.

And I'm not refering to the sledders we are speaking in general terms.

Keep in mind the one giving you permission is just as capable of making the mistakes. Not sure of his property lines/ownership.

It's possible. Sorry
Old 03-26-2014, 05:11 PM

heres another way to look at it.....tresspassing is a small fine. Assault is a hefty fine, criminal record, with the possibility of jail time...... So which of the 2 partys involved is the bigger criminal here? Thats right!!!! Now your seeing the big picture instead of tunnel visioning this scenario. There all idiots though...
Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
heres another way to look at it.....tresspassing is a small fine. Assault is a hefty fine, criminal record, with the possibility of jail time...... So which of the 2 partys involved is the bigger criminal here? Thats right!!!! Now your seeing the big picture instead of tunnel visioning this scenario. There all idiots though...

Yeppppp!