Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Excaliber does not make a bow.....they make x-guns

LC
Hey i got a copyright on the Xgun word....thats a $1 you owe me...lol

Anyway.... id like to join the Alberta crossbow association. ... anyone know why their website is down? And how much is their membership fee?
Old 12-13-2015, 01:03 PM

I took up archery 5 years ago, and still haven't flung an arrow at big game. Too picky I guess. I'm on the fence with cross bows.

A section of land that we hunt birds every year is a very good spot for Mules. Every year we find awesome racks, skulls attached. I cant help thinking that a crossbow would be more accurate, and subsequently more 'humane' in regards to 'arrowing' prey.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Hey i got a copyright on the Xgun word....thats a $1 you owe me...lol

Anyway.... id like to join the Alberta crossbow association. ... anyone know why their website is down? And how much is their membership fee?
I figured you might like that,

LC
Old 12-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I figured you might like that,

LC
This is starting to sound like the fly fishermen vs the hardware chuckers
Old 12-13-2015, 02:23 PM

Just cut my arm off an hour ago. In the process of filling out application for cross bow permit right now. Will let everyone know the outcome.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Just cut my arm off an hour ago. In the process of filling out application for cross bow permit right now. Will let everyone know the outcome.
My BIL just about tore his thumb off when her fired a crossbow, thumb up.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wrong there is no general big game season in 248. Rifle can not be used for big game there ever.

LC
Yes I stand corrected. Even though you can use a high powered rifle in a large part of WMU 248 you can't use it for big game.
It makes me wonder why someone would go for a Moose draw in 248. I know of one member on the forum who did this year, but I don't see the logic in it. He got a Moose cow draw in 248, but you can arrow antlered or antlerless without a draw anyways. Maybe he can use a shotgun in the draw?
Old 12-13-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe ABA could have a division, and therefore membership, for crossbow folks too. Then guys like me wouldn't feel like outcasts from the string-propelled-pointy-stick-with-fletching-on-the-other-end crowd so much

Think about it, it would add strength and numbers and voices to items of mutual concern. It could be called the ABCBA - the Alberta Bowhunters and CrossBow Association

With the ABA crowd I'm a welcome prospect - 'cause I have used and hunted with a recurve - a bow that really bows when ya draw it back!. Those 'bows' that don't bow and have training wheels just aren't for me. I like the real thing . I hunted with a real bow long before them training wheel thingys came out. I hear everybody that uses them have sights - some even have scopes now! And triggers - yup, triggers! Who'd have ever thought those things would be called 'bows'

But on the other hand, because I like crossbows too, I'm an evil pariah, maybe worse

On second thought - about my good idea above - it would never work. The ABA would make us crossbow folk meet in the outhouse - but only after we muck it out
Old 12-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Someone alluded to it in an earlier post....it would not necessarily increase the hunters in the field during archery season substantially as those entry level archers would likely drop the compound and pick up a crossbow.

If your worried your hunting opportunities will be reduced by their success, your just being greedy. Open your mind, share your sport and hunting opportunities with your fellow outdoorsmen after all, the woods are full of game.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
This is starting to sound like the fly fishermen vs the hardware chuckers
This ^^^ Sportsman's famous divide and conguer.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-13-2015, 04:41 PM

Despite disagreement in the thread, nice to see nobody's been rude or started calling names. I think that's a first for any of the crossbow threads. Hell it may even be a first for any general section thread that went past 2 pages.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Maybe ABA could have a division, and therefore membership, for crossbow folks too. Then guys like me wouldn't feel like outcasts from the string-propelled-pointy-stick-with-fletching-on-the-other-end crowd so much

Think about it, it would add strength and numbers and voices to items of mutual concern. It could be called the ABCBA - the Alberta Bowhunters and CrossBow Association

With the ABA crowd I'm a welcome prospect - 'cause I have used and hunted with a recurve - a bow that really bows when ya draw it back!. Those 'bows' that don't bow and have training wheels just aren't for me. I like the real thing . I hunted with a real bow long before them training wheel thingys came out. I hear everybody that uses them have sights - some even have scopes now! And triggers - yup, triggers! Who'd have ever thought those things would be called 'bows'

But on the other hand, because I like crossbows too, I'm an evil pariah, maybe worse

On second thought - about my good idea above - it would never work. The ABA would make us crossbow folk meet in the outhouse - but only after we muck it out
Lots of ABA members have crossbows...

LC
Old 12-13-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Don't throw away that arm, my dog loves moose bones.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
Don't throw away that arm, my dog loves moose bones.
Already had you in mind when I seen your thread on wolf bait station. Pm me address for delivery.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Already had you in mind when I seen your thread on wolf bait station. Pm me address for delivery.
Very nice of you to offer someone a hand.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Very nice of you to offer someone a hand.
Well it wouldn't flush down the toilet....
Old 12-13-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Well it wouldn't flush down the toilet....
LOL!
Old 12-13-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
A compound bow requires no more skill than a crossbow does. It only requires more muscle power. End of story. Stop trying to pretend bow hunters are special.
Yes, please do ! There is a lot bigger difference between a Trad Bow and a Compound. How may of you "Bowhunters" used a Trad in 248 ? Now, wouldn't that be a challenge..
Old 12-13-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Yes, please do ! There is a lot bigger difference between a Trad Bow and a Compound. How may of you "Bowhunters" used a Trad in 248 ? Now, wouldn't that be a challenge..
My brother and I grabbed a diamond compound 70lb draw a target and a handful of arrows . Set the target with lines at 10,20,30,40,50,60 yards . We were both consistently hitting kill shots on the vitals target at 40,50,60 within about 30 min and after watching a YouTube video. I can barely hit the bag with a recurve after 20 yards haha
Old 12-13-2015, 05:50 PM

Still no info on that website or membership cost!

Maybe someone has an address i can mail my money too?.. and perhaps a large money donation....
Old 12-13-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Still no info on that website or membership cost!

Maybe someone has an address i can mail my money too?.. and perhaps a large money donation....
Hydro1@gmail.com is always accepting donations.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:30 PM

Traditional archery gear is a funny one. Crossbows predate compound bows by several centuries. Hell they predate the discovery of North America by several centuries.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:47 PM

I think to protect archery season it should be limited to recurve and longbow. Compounds offer too much mechanical assistance in way of let off. It's hard to be righteous about having to hold draw when the cams have taken the majority of that away.

Quote:
Now there's a curveball.
I have had 5 shoulder surgeries and can no longer pull a bow either the traditional or compound. I will say though, calking a crossbow is not easy.

Here it is boys;

The crossbow is heavy, awkward, noisy to carry.
A conventional bow is light, easy to carry, and pretty much noiseless.

Similarities;
Both have cams, arrows/bolts, high tech luminous sights and a string.

I will gladly lay my crossbow down when you self-righteous bow hunters lay your compound down; and commit to a traditional re-cure.

The mechanics of hunting with either is all the same; i.e. stalking, distance, scent, wind etc.

Too many guys watch too much TV and those guys always make it so easy with either a crossbow, any bow or any style of rifle....

Get over it; crossbow hunting is very difficult but it still allows a person to to further enjoy a wonderful pastime .... IMHO.

BTW, I have harvested 1 deer in that last 4 years, so I have left a ton in the field, for the rest of you bow hunters.......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:53 AM
Banned

This thread need's a bow pic !!!

Old 12-14-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I think to protect archery season it should be limited to recurve and longbow. Compounds offer too much mechanical assistance in way of let off. It's hard to be righteous about having to hold draw when the cams have taken the majority of that away.

I have had 5 shoulder surgeries and can no longer pull a bow either the traditional or compound. I will say though, calking a crossbow is not easy.

Here it is boys;

The crossbow is heavy, awkward, noisy to carry.
A conventional bow is light, easy to carry, and pretty much noiseless.

Similarities;
Both have cams, arrows/bolts, high tech luminous sights and a string.

I will gladly lay my crossbow down when you self-righteous bow hunters lay your compound down; and commit to a traditional re-cure.

The mechanics of hunting with either is all the same; i.e. stalking, distance, scent, wind etc.

Too many guys watch too much TV and those guys always make it so easy with either a crossbow, any bow or any style of rifle....

Get over it; crossbow hunting is very difficult but it still allows a person to to further enjoy a wonderful pastime .... IMHO.

BTW, I have harvested 1 deer in that last 4 years, so I have left a ton in the field, for the rest of you bow hunters.......
No problem. Lay it down.I only use Longbows and Recurves .
Old 12-14-2015, 07:07 AM

I just read through all the comments on this thread and have to say this is dejavue for me. I'm from Missouri and we have spent the last 1.5-2 years argueing about crossbow inclusion. Just last week our commissioners finally voted to include crossbows as an approved archery method starting in 2016. That means full inclusion and disability permits are no longer needed.

As I read through all these posts its amazing to see almost the exact words from the anti crowd. I admit I am procrossbow. I have yet to read a post that actually presents a valid reason to not allow full inclusion of crossbows in archery only seasons. The crossbows are easier posts are always a hoot. Usually posted by someone that has never hunted with a crossbow and doesn't have a clue. I agree you can become proficient with a crossbow quicker than with verticle bows. However, isnt proficiency what the skilled hunter wants. Would you rather have a hunter who can't shoot accurately out wounding and losing game with his verticle bow or a hunter that became proficient quicker with a crossbow taking game without wounding or losing it.

Crossbows aren't easier from a tree stand as suggested. you are much more limited in your field of fire. The limbs of a crossbow, even a short one, make shots to the rear of your stand nearly impossible. I will give the edge to the crossbow from a ground blind.

A lot has been said about the moment of truth and drawing a compound in the presence of game. How much easier using a crossbow which is already drawn and ready to fire. I have never found drawing to be an issue, its movement and you have that with both methods.

I have archery hunted for over 50 years, long before compounds. The same arguements were used to oppose compounds in the states in the erly days. Compound bows were going to decimate or deer populations. As we all know that didn't happen. No matter how you slice it crossbows are a archery method and the opportunity to hunt with one shouldn't be prevented anywhere. They are just another tool. Crossbows aren't a magical doomsday device that cause game to fall dead at the sight of the bow.

Lefty I see that you are a staffer with several firms as indicated by your signature line. Each and everyone of these companies support and produce product for the crossbow user. Do these firms welcome your anti crossbow stance? How can you be a staffer for companies that support something you're so opposed to. Seems like hyprocracy to me.

Crossbow guys keep working towards inclusion. All the Anti side hace is emotional and empty reasoning to prevent the adoption of inclusion. Normally they just come across as petty and selfish afraid somebody else will kill their game.

On another aside the comment about P&Y stand on crossbows. P&Y is about money they also take funds from crossbow related industry so I guess their high ideals aren't as high or as ideal as presented. Keep in mind they are a private club and can make any rules they want. Mark my words when it appears their membership is falling and the money is drying up. They will change their rules and accept crossbow records too. Maybe a seperate book but they will be there. They have changed positions several times in the past and will continue to do so. Its about the money.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:36 AM

You guys read my comments as "anti-crossbow" which I am not. I have never said ban crossbows or ban crossbow hunting.

I read through ALL OF MY POSTS IN THIS THREAD....not one is anti-crossbow. Please point out which one is. I stated I support current rules as written here in Alberta.

Also for the crossbow folks did you know the federal rules may be changing to allow crossbows to be used for migratory birds?

My comments are that the crossbow has its place and has its seasons and actually here in Alberta there is an extended season that is crossbow inclusive, which apparently many crossbow folks didn't even realize.

I have already stated several times that if I should suffer an unfortunate injury I would apply for a crossbow permit.

So explain to me how stating that crossbows should be used as they are now is an "anti crossbow" stance? Just because my opinion differs then I am an anti? What a wonderful bunch of liberal thinkers we have

Again crossbows can be used along side rifles in the entire province, and they have their own season along side archery, muzzle loaders, and shotguns in a "bow zone".

I support how things are now. IMHO, no change is necessary. That's my "official" thoughts. There is lots of opportunity to use a crossbow now, seems to me that the folks using them are not taking full advantage.

I hunt alongside a fellow hunter who uses the crossbow during the appropriate season in the "bow zone" and I have taken him out gopher shooting and called coyotes for him to shoot with his crossbow....so I am far from "anti-crossbow".

I suggest the pro-crossbow guys perhaps read my comments and remove "their emotion" from the equation....Again how many crossbow users without disability permits hunt in general seasons with a crossbow? I hunt in general seasons with my bow all the time....a rifle can be used there I choose not to use one. I like the added challenge.

Finally one of you admitted they are easier to become proficient at

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-14-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:12 AM

Oh, there is an antlerless moose draw in the "bow zone" that allows crossbow use too....

LC
Old 12-14-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Despite disagreement in the thread, nice to see nobody's been rude or started calling names. I think that's a first for any of the crossbow threads. Hell it may even be a first for any general section thread that went past 2 pages.
Haha! So true! Thanks for keeping it civil, everyone!

My 2 cents:

My sister introduced me to crossbows years ago, so I have had the opportunity to play with them a fair bit. Lots of fun to use, fairly easy to learn, but cumbersome to carry around and hold on target. I actually prefer using my compound.

I believe that those that are concerned about the depletion of general/early season opportunity for M&M (Mulies and Moose) are going to see that happen regardless of whether crossbows are admitted into archery-only seasons or not. Even in my circle of hunters I've seen more of a shift towards bowhunting versus rifle hunting, mainly due to the increased opportunities.

In general, I'm also getting to the point that I'm having more fun with my bow than my rifles anyhow.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Moose don't have arms.