Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstop660 View Post
Why are you convinced that crossbow inclusion will result in a increased kill to the point of adversly affecting your harvest numbers. It hasnt in the states.
We are not talking about just deer. Can you hunt Moose, Elk and Mule Deer on a General OTC Tag in Missouri? What is the average length of your archery season? Some of ours are nearly two months.

I hunt with rifle, bow and muzzle-loader. Things are pretty fine for the status quo. If I buy a cross bow then I would use it during the general season. No big deal.

You sure you don't sell, manufacture or get some sort of a financial reward for promoting crossbows?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I see nothing wrong with a fellow hunter from Ontario or even the USA putting in their nickles worth. One thing I have always liked about being on this forum is all the different ideas and opinions that are put foreward. Sometimes I read something that I had never thought of before, and whats wrong with getting input from other sources?
I honestly don't think that xbows will be the death of hunting in AB. I would say the majority of new xbow hunters are going to find out the hard way that it's not as easy as they think. I say this as a third year serious bow hunter who now can appreciate just how hard it is to get in bow range of a Deer.
I can see some problems, however, with Moose numbers declining. I hope any changes made reflect this.
I don't have a problem with fellow hunters voicing their opinion, no matter where they are from as long as they realize that their province/country may be much different than ours. I DO have a problem with someone from another province writing to OUR politicians and trying to influence them in something that does not in any way concern them. I'm not writing to Ontario politicians and telling them that Alberta's system works better and they should follow suit because frankly its non of my business.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The relevance being that the number of archery hunters could increase significantly,which would likely increase the harvest, which could result in more WMUs being put on draws for some species.

Are you sure that will not happen anyhow, given the growth of Alberta's population?

There's quite a few rifle hunters taking up bow hunting, just to capitalize on the general season opportunities. This will have the same effect, no?
Old 12-14-2015, 11:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
I don't have a problem with fellow hunters voicing their opinion, no matter where they are from as long as they realize that their province/country may be much different than ours. I DO have a problem with someone from another province writing to OUR politicians and trying to influence them in something that does not in any way concern them. I'm not writing to Ontario politicians and telling them that Alberta's system works better and they should follow suit because frankly its non of my business.
It may concern them as they might someday move here to Alberta, they are not locked into a province, free to come and go and write whoever they please about whatever they please.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-14-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstop660 View Post
No money coming in to me from any company. I'm Retired. I'm pro archery be it verticle or crossbow. I think I explained my self in the first post I made. I have been through this battle and have watched those opposed to crossbow make claims that is no more than emotional hogwash. I see one of your members said the reason some are against inclusion is due to protectionism or selfish motives. I found your site due to comments on another forum regarding opposttion comments here . I'm here to support the guys wanting full inclusion.

Is an opinion any less valuable whether its a first post or thousands. I also have friends in Alberta. Besides Maybe I'll come hunt Alberta one day.
Well said and that would be awesome if you came and hunted outer province, it is big and has lots to offer.
Oh yeah welcome

Old 12-14-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont-xbower View Post
Hello fellow archers.

My first post.

I live in southern Ontario and we have been able to us xbows for archery hunting for several years now.

I can understand the opposition to xbows from the vertical guys. However from what I have read if all goes well you will see full inclusion as early as the start of the 2016 deer season.

When xbows became legal here we had the below results.

A boost to revenue for additional deer seal purchases.
Elderly hunters and apprentise hunters started to bow hunt.
Deer harvest levels were increased to the mnr standards.
Increased revenue for archery shops for xbows and arrows.
Increase of non resident hunters. Revenue up.
Many of your vertical hunters will transition over to the crossbow....
Ontario crossbow hunters far exceed the vertical method.
Ontario hunters don't care what bow you use. We are all humters doing what we love to do.

I hunt with a crossbow and have done very well putting prime organic venison on the table with my crossbow.and in the end thats what its all about...

I have sent my comments in from a province that allows you to use what you want during the open archery season.

Good luck to the future crossbow hunters in Alberta. Ontario is behind you 100%....
Welcome and thanks for your input, very nice to see a real time first hand experience on the adaptation of introducing crossbows into the archery season.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Just cut my arm off an hour ago. In the process of filling out application for cross bow permit right now. Will let everyone know the outcome.
Hmmm a bit extreme but whatever it takes I guess, I will wait until 2016 hunting season and just take the new purchase out in the woods after I read the regs and see they are legal to use during archery season....

Old 12-15-2015, 01:28 AM

Number 1:

Number2:
Old 12-15-2015, 01:59 AM

Now I don't care what you shoot.
If you don't think at least one of the two crossbows cnp posted are bad arse looking you need to quit bow hunting.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:02 AM
Banned

This thread is still going? It's nice to see real examples from people from outside of Alberta providing real examples of the impacts of the inclusion of crossbows in archery only seasons instead of the usual ABA spokespersons providing their rhetoric about how crossbows would be the demise of archery seasons in Alberta as we know it. Nova Scotia recently included crossbows in their archery only seasons and there have been no detrimental impacts on the opportunities or the deer and moose populations. Ontario, the same thing.

If anything, the AB government should get a grip on these guys that have 9 different big game animal tags in their pocket and there wouldn't be any draw problems. Who needs 3 whitetail deer, a moose, a mulie and a friggin elk regardless of what type of tool that you are using? That's just making a pig of yourself IMO.

This ABA protectionism is total BS. There is plenty of room for crossbows in the archery only season. Instead, they fight against the inclusion of crossbows AND banning atlatl and spears. This is not in the best interests of hunters and only benefits a small percentage of bow only hunters. Next they'll want separate draws for archery and rifle seasons. Oh wait......

Last edited by HunterDave; 12-15-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
Now I don't care what you shoot.
If you don't think at least one of the two crossbows cnp posted are bad arse looking you need to quit bow hunting.
The black one is too scary looking and should be banned as an assault crossbow......Justin!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:40 AM

What is wrong with an able bodied person hunting with a bow in an archery season ? Are you all just to lazy to learn to shoot a bow? It's interesting none of you use your crossbows in the general seasons we have now.
MAN UP FOR HEAVENS SAKE.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This thread is still going? It's nice to see real examples from people from outside of Alberta providing real examples of the impacts of the inclusion of crossbows in archery only seasons instead of the usual ABA spokespersons providing their rhetoric about how crossbows would be the demise of archery seasons in Alberta as we know it. Nova Scotia recently included crossbows in their archery only seasons and there have been no detrimental impacts on the opportunities or the deer and moose populations. Ontario, the same thing.

If anything, the AB government should get a grip on these guys that have 9 different big game animal tags in their pocket and there wouldn't be any draw problems. Who needs 3 whitetail deer, a moose, a mulie and a friggin elk regardless of what type of tool that you are using? That's just making a pig of yourself IMO.

This ABA protectionism is total BS. There is plenty of room for crossbows in the archery only season. Instead, they fight against the inclusion of crossbows AND banning atlatl and spears. This is not in the best interests of hunters and only benefits a small percentage of bow only hunters. Next they'll want separate draws for archery and rifle seasons. Oh wait......
Every Albertan is able to purchase these tags...it is called opportunity. How many people fill every tag they purchase? Personally I bought a boat load of tags....for the opportunity available. I filled 2 tags total an elk and a mule deer tag. Last year I filled an elk tag. Year before an elk tag and a draw mule deer tag with the rifle. Is that being a piggy?

I do not speak for ABA, I am not on the executive, I speak for myself. In fact I don't think a single poster here is representing the ABA. Correct me if I am wrong.

BUT since you brought it up, Let take a minute to look at what the ABA has helped ALL Alberta hunters with,
-allowing camo clothing (dating back to 1969)
-black bear baiting
-antlerless elk tags 212
-lobbied with other groups even though they are NOT archery only
-primitive weapons season in 357 (ESRD has since closed season) Oh and crossbows were allowed.
-cow moose draw 357
-Sunday hunting
-mountain goat seasons

Of course numerous other things related to archery only. After all they are an archery/bow hunting organization.

Where is the Crossbow Harvest Thread?...where is the ACBA/AXBA? Why aren't the crossbow supporters using the available seasons to utilize the weapon they are so passionate about? There is lots of opportunity to use them, why aren't they?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-15-2015 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:18 AM

When the full inclusion goes through I will be looking to book a trip to Alberta and will be using my Excalibur Micro. I have seen some of those dark horned big body Alberta whitetails and man they got my attention. If any of you Alberta hunters want to come here to Ontario to crossbow hunt you are more than Welcome...
Old 12-15-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont-xbower View Post
When the full inclusion goes through I will be looking to book a trip to Alberta and will be using my Excalibur Micro. I have seen some of those dark horned big body Alberta whitetails and man they got my attention. If any of you Alberta hunters want to come here to Ontario to crossbow hunt you are more than Welcome...
You can come use a crossbow to hunt them now . In fact in many places the MAJORITY of the season you can use a crossbow. Full inclusion not required book your trip today!

People are always worried about what they don't have and never consider what they DO have.

What part of that do you not get? Actually if you want the dark horned ones, you can hunt the entire rut with a crossbow!

Maybe do some research before assuming you can't LOL.

BUT I digress the poor lonely crossbow Hunter has all this opportunity staring them in the face yet they fail to realize it.

LC
Old 12-15-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You can come use a crossbow to hunt them now . In fact in many places the MAJORITY of the season you can use a crossbow. Full inclusion not required book your trip today!

People are always worried about what they don't have and never consider what they DO have.

What part of that do you not get? Actually if you want the dark horned ones, you can hunt the entire rut with a crossbow!

Maybe do some research before assuming you can't LOL.

BUT I digress the poor lonely crossbow Hunter has all this opportunity staring them in the face yet they fail to realize it.

LC
Compound and traditional archery users have that same opportunity so why do they need a "special" season set aside for them?
Old 12-15-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Compound and traditional archery users have that same opportunity so why do they need a "special" season set aside for them?
Safety is one factor, a lot of the modes employed (decoys) etc. for example the case of antelope are not conducive for having general season run at the same time.

You could call ESRD, this was likely decided long before I was even born. Certainly before I started hunting.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-15-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Safety is one factor, a lot of the modes employed (decoys) etc. for example the case of antelope are not conducive for having general season run at the same time.

You could call ESRD, this was likely decided long before I was even born. Certainly before I started hunting.

LC
I looked behind me and saw you lurking...morning LC.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I looked behind me and saw you lurking...morning LC.
Morning Sir! Early flight to Saskatoon today....sitting in airports is boring

LC
Old 12-15-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Well said Davey ol' boy!

Not too many people like change then when it comes they move on to other squabbles, coop coffee shop discussions, change everyday, some leave mad, some happy but they always show up sooner or later!

Old 12-15-2015, 05:46 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Morning Sir! Early flight to Saskatoon today....sitting in airports is boring

LC
Ahh toon town, enjoy the flight!

Old 12-15-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Well said Davey ol' boy!

Not too many people like change then when it comes they move on to other squabbles, coop coffee shop discussions, change everyday, some leave mad, some happy but they always show up sooner or later!
Want to see an uproar....take away some general season time for a xbow only season....see what the rifle only guys have to say

Heck many of them are mad they have to wait till Sept 23rd to start hunting.

LC
Old 12-15-2015, 05:52 AM

Cool

Quote:
Want to see an uproar....take away some general season time for a xbow only season....see what the rifle only guys have to say

Heck many of them are mad they have to wait till Sept 23rd to start hunting.

LC
True enough,

You on your way to toon town to buy a black XBow? Or got one stashed away?
XBow secret club meeting....
Just don't let Justin find out

Old 12-15-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
True enough,

You on your way to toon town to buy a black XBow? Or got one stashed away?
XBow secret club meeting....
Just don't let Justin find out
Nah going to lobby for camo clothing inclusion in Saskatchewan, it's not allowed there you know

LC
Old 12-15-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Welcome and thanks for your input, very nice to see a real time first hand experience on the adaptation of introducing crossbows into the archery season.
X2 Maybe we should have a black powder,bolt action, lever action, etc.
It's all about the me season.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-15-2015, 06:48 AM

I'm not sure how somebody figured that the ABA was solely responsible for getting rid of orange an Sunday hunting.
I gave up on that friggin'' bunch when they lobbied to change and separate from the Alberta Bowhunters and Archers because they were different than target archers -BS!!
Archers bowhunt and bowhunters shoot target archery as well.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-15-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:51 AM

Nothing is stoping any of u guys from picking up a bow PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and hunting the archery season oh wait it's the PRACTICE THING!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:56 AM
Gone Hunting

I never really cared one way or the other about cross bows. After reading all the posts here, I think I will put in my 2 cents to the Government regarding them. From what I see bowhunters and the ABA have done more to divide the hunting fraternity than any anti-hunting group. Somewhat shameful the elitism and protectionism that is shown here.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I'm not sure how somebody figured that the ABA was solely responsible for getting rid of orange an Sunday hunting.
I gave up on that friggin'' bunch when they lobbied to change and separate from the Alberta Bowhunters and Archers because they were different than target archers -BS!!
Archers bowhunt and bowhunters shoot target archery as well.

Cat
Who said they were solely responsible? I said they HELPED. Also the ATAA is the group that eliminated the Hunter Class from 3d archery...the ABA has brought it back, in grand fashion I might add.

I have only been an ABA member for two years, I am unaware of all that transpired previously.

LC
Old 12-15-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I never really cared one way or the other about cross bows. After reading all the posts here, I think I will put in my 2 cents to the Government regarding them. From what I see bowhunters and the ABA have done more to divide the hunting fraternity than any anti-hunting group. Somewhat shameful the elitism and protectionism that is shown here.
Sorry that's the perception you have, but these crossbow decisions are many years old and do not rest solely on the ABA, you have heard of AGMAG? Trust me the ABA does not have the power or the say that you give them credit for.

Before any more words get put in my mouth I am out

LC