Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2010, 06:52 PM

Default Walleye on hard water at Newell

I have been trying to figure out the walleye in the winter at Newell for two years now, and I have yet to catch one. I can catch them in the summer but can't find them in the winter. I am just curious to know if anyone out there has ever cought a walleye thorugh the ice at Newell???
Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM

i have yet to catch one, dad has caught 2 and buddies come down from edmonton and do decently well.

watch this video, may help you out fishing on big waters in winter for big walleye!

Off the Beaten Path For Walleye

do you run a flasher???
Old 01-15-2010, 08:22 PM

Here is one from Newell last winter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (60.2 KB, 262 views)
Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 AM

I have tags good till March. Want to give it a try so we can have a fish fry!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
Here is one from Newell last winter
Great looking (eye), nice sunny day also.

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM

yea I use a flasher and when I was there last week, I fished form 15 to 50 feet of water and didn't even see anything on the screen. Anyone have any advice on areas of the lake to target? I fished the big hole, SW of the boat launch.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 AM

I dont understand why noone is willing to help.... guess thats why its a trophy lake... everyone keeps quiet. lol

look for transitions... not so much holes in the winter months... walleye cruise flats looking for food and will come into the shallows around evening. Shallows doesnt mean 10 feet of water, if fish live in 30-40 feet shallow may mean 20 feet. The walleye that I know of being caught are fished north of the boat launch... fish on the opposite side of the island... there is some rocky breaks I seen in about 12 feet and drops fast into about 30 feet. At dark they moved in about 20-25 feet of water and have landed a few here and there but werent targeting them specifically...

ill head out with ya sometime and try and chase them down if ya like... pm me if interested.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 AM

Brandon, on the north side of the island? Yeah I've seen people there, haven't tried it yet though. The transition on the south side of the island is OK and the odd 8 lber is usually caught there.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Brandon, on the north side of the island? Yeah I've seen people there, haven't tried it yet though. The transition on the south side of the island is OK and the odd 8 lber is usually caught there.
yes, if i remember correct it was off that island.... -or- wait... maybe the point north of that island...? its been over a year since ive been out there so a map is making me second guess...

BUT there are rock piles in shallow... and if ya fish it heading north (off the point of the island / or point ) it drops faster and bigger shallower shelves..

id like to get out there and target walleye specifically one of these days... walleye under the ice fuel my fire. haha but ill take a big pike anyday