Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2018, 02:17 PM

Definitely could have been a poor mix, or not troweled in proper time under certain conditions. I know small hairline cracks are very common and shouldn't be an issue other than cosmetically, however if they're more than that then you may have a bigger issue. I would definitely work towards speaking with the builder to get it rectified.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:29 PM

The guys that said all concrete cracks are all 100% correct. Otherwise rebar serves absolutely no purpose. Excessive wide cracks are a different issue. That is not caused from wether you parked on it or not. Even the wall will crack. It happens. I assume there was some engineering specs for this project and if your contractor followed them he has done his job. The only concern that you have is the spalling. That may be an issue. I would call your contractor and make a note of it and have him notify his supplier. Sometimes there are some impurities in the concrete that can be repaired. Other times there is an issue with the concrete air entrainment or other issues.
The big thing here he is not to lose your head and lawyer up as has been advised. That will cost everybody money and get everyone’s guard up.it is a last resort. If your contractor is reasonable he will Work with you and come up with a solution.
Thicker concrete, more rebar or a Thicker base does not stop cracking. It can minimize it though. There is no need to spend money on testing at this point. Have a look at all of your neighbours garage pads. They will all be cracked and some may have some issues that yours has.
As for adding water, most concrete is designed to be poured at a reasonable, workable slump. Some water can be added to achieve this! Using water for finishing CAN be a no-no. if excessive water is used or at the wrong time.
To summarize, keep your head, communicate, make notes, take pictures and don’t listen to your buddy who’s son got a job at a concrete plant for a summer.
When in doubt consult Canada or Alberta redimix standards code and Alberta building code.
Good luck.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:28 PM

Some valuable info being shed here, left a message with builder but he has not called back. From yesterday to today one of the cracks grew about a ft. in length.I did my own sidewalks 20 some yrs ago and not a single crack in them, heavy rebar, anchored to the house in spots and I remember wetting the base. This was a bigger job so I let the builder do it.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:27 PM

There are some really smart people in this thread.

Concrete is a different beast and it’s properties have changed over the years. Everyone thinks it’s grey and gets hard and that’s about it to it. We can do so many things with concrete these days that we couldn’t do 20 years ago. Chemicals have really changed the concrete world. That being said it’s still delicate and has to be handled properly.

And sub base prep and engineering is important as well. It all comes together to create an awesome finished product but if short cuts are taken, the end products can be a heavy grey pos.

Working in Ft McMurray for a major supplier as a quality control representative I saw lots of awesome engineering of concrete. I also saw lots of abuse by contractors. I also saw screw ups by different suppliers over the years. I worked for one supplier that batched 260 metres of crap that had to be all hydrovaced up the same day.

Same for the geotechnical end. That is my schooling background originally. It’s just dirt. It’s easy...

Give your contractor a bit more time as he is probably busy but didn’t let them of the hook of at least having the chance to look at the issue, explain or repair it. The end product is tied to their name as well. It can be bad business. But don’t accept **** work either if that’s the issue.

PCFGA on Facebook