Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 06:11 PM

Default Hockey card value

Is there value in hockey cards anymore?
I found my stash of cards from the 80s.
Couple thousand cards.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:14 PM

Nope, best give them to me.....

Kidding aside, yes, there is, but with everything, it depends on the card and the condition. A McDavid rookie card sold for about $72k this summer.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:24 PM

Is there a reputable place in Edmonton?
Old 10-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Banned

Pick up a Beckett’s hockey card magazine and look up the value for the cards.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:38 PM

Likely not worth a lot. Best bet is to pull out the best rookies of the era; Lemieux, Yzerman, etc.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:41 PM
Banned

Go to the card show, it should be coming up soon, Calgary's show is next weekend October 27th and 28th AT the Delta Calgary south(Bonavista ballroom) Saturday 10-5 Sunday 10-3

The same guy organize's the Edmonton show.

My phones camera lens is cracked so it takes horrible pictures now...

Also ebay will give realtime market values, you can filter to see what they actually sell for as opposed to what the asking prices are it's all about supply and demand, and there was alot of cards produced back then.

The newer cards are limited print runs, combine that with all the great rookies the last 5 years and the new cards have more value and are more in demand now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181023_184555.jpg (49.8 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by ReconWilly; 10-23-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
Couple thousand cards.
PM me and I can get you in touch with my Dad....He can help you out....
Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

I have 2 old signed maurice Rocket richard and 1 terry harper signed cards I inherited from my mother. She got them when they came to st Paul way way back when. Wonder what they would be worth
Old 10-23-2018, 08:07 PM

I used to be big into hockey cards when I was a kid. Would you mind sharing the brand and years of the cards? Makes a huge difference. I didn't know it at the time, but I was smart back then... I traded many of my expensive inserts (expensive at the time) from upperdeck and parkhurst and score etc. in the 90's. Card shop would trade at 2:1 beckett prices. I traded the modern cards in for half book value just to get 70's and 80's rookie cards of many big stars. Sure glad I did!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:00 PM

The suggestion of buying the Beckett guide is the best idea. Take the long winter nights to go through the cards.

Also, You can value your cards individually using ebay. Just look up the card in the sports memorabilia thread on ebay and the card will likely appear. Some cards might be worth 1 to 5 bucks and the odd one could be worth 20 or more. You could get a good surprise and find one worth 50 dollars or more. Common cards are usually worth 5 to 10 cents. See if you have any complete or almost complete sets.

The serious card collectors are still around but some of the market has dropped. And some of those collectors are still trying to finish building old sets. I had a modern high end assortment collection I sold off and there were several collectors willing to pay a grand or two for certain cards so buyers are out there.

Or have fun and make some young hockey fan's day and donate the common cards to them. I shocked a friends young son when I donated him about 3000 modern common cards. He was the card king of his hockey buddies. A few binders full.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-24-2018, 11:33 AM

That’s too bad. When I was cleaning out my parent’s house after my Mom passed, I found my card collection from when I was a kid. A full season 79/80 (except 2 cards which I have purchased separately) and 2 Gretzky rookie cards, both of which are in their same protective case.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
That’s too bad. When I was cleaning out my parent’s house after my Mom passed, I found my card collection from when I was a kid. A full season 79/80 (except 2 cards which I have purchased separately) and 2 Gretzky rookie cards, both of which are in their same protective case.
The hall of famer cards are still sought after, especially rookie cards.

Wayne's rookie is still one of the greatest cards you can have,and in demand, especially if they are high grade's.

Mcdavid's rookie is the new Gretzky rookie card(the card of this generation), Crosby rookie's are up there with Gretzky rookies.

When Sid was coming out they began to correct the over supply problem, for the young collector's they are into the Crosby year>present.

There are still collector's looking for older cards, but a lot of collector's that want that stuff already have it.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:47 PM

Default Hockey cards

I have a Dave Semenko card, get teased about it all the time.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:48 PM

Obviously can't speak specifically to your collection, but in general NHL cards from the later 80's to early 90's era aren't particularly valuable due to the massive amount that were printed in those years.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:15 PM

I remember the days when I used them on the spokes of my bike.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:41 PM

When I was a kid Esso had a book for the original 6 NHL teams. I had it filled and stored away. Ex threw all my stuff out including that book. Was offered a grand site unseen for it. Kid never found it.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:38 PM

Ha, that’s right LSD,
I have both the Esso NHL Power Player hard cover album and the softie.
Both complete I believe.

TBark
Old 10-25-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
Couple thousand cards.
I would be interested what you find out. I just happened to find my stash of late 70’s earl 80’s hockey cards not long ago too....and Star Wars and ET and Mork & Mindy...
Old 10-25-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I would be interested what you find out. I just happened to find my stash of late 70’s earl 80’s hockey cards not long ago too....and Star Wars and ET and Mork & Mindy...
There is value! I don't think I'll ever sell, just keeping them in a closet. But get a Beckett price guide, values are always changing. Anything after 1988 I have no interest in. Mass produced, started throwing rare inserts in around then, to increase interest and collectibility of generally worthless cards. 1988 and prior, definitely have some collectibility. I have about 80,000 cards. Mostly worthless. I do have a small shoe-box sized box of cards, all mostly pre-88. Couple hundred cards, all in protective cases, probably worth tens of thousands. Mostly stars rookies from my time: Yzerman, Lemieux, Roy, (No Gretzky unfortunately, but have 2nd yr), most of the Oilers in their prime : Fuhr, Kurri, Anderson, Messier..... A lot of post 88' certified and numbered cards with silly things like pieces of Jersey, certified autographs etc. which I don't see the appraised value in. Old cards have value IMO...
Old 10-25-2018, 10:38 PM

Mine was the hard cover book. Took me forever to get that last player stamp.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:14 PM

I found my old collection from the 70's and 80's, was going to take them in and get some estimates, lot of the oiler greats rockie cards.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:00 AM

I had an apple box full of hockey cards and gave them away. Who knows how much money was spent attaching them in my bicycle spokes in the '60's ?

I then I came across 3 comic book, cardboard, storage boxes, full; pretty much all in the plastic envelopes.
These were my son's and he wants them gone....

Do the hockey card guys also do the comic books?

I'll start looking here in Calgary or Kijiji them.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I had an apple box full of hockey cards and gave them away. Who knows how much money was spent attaching them in my bicycle spokes in the '60's ?

I then I came across 3 comic book, cardboard, storage boxes, full; pretty much all in the plastic envelopes.
These were my son's and he wants them gone....

Do the hockey card guys also do the comic books?

I'll start looking here in Calgary or Kijiji them.
No idea about comics, try ebay, if you have the time set up a account and sell them yourself. ..that's how most people do cards nowadays.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:20 PM

i have a punch also from the 60s Bobby Hall Gordy Howell etc
Does any one collect the old cards
Old 10-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Anyone trading the tims hockey cards ?
Old 10-28-2018, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
i have a punch also from the 60s Bobby Hall Gordy Howell etc
Does any one collect the old cards
Assuming you meant Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe then yes!, condition is everything but cards of stars from that era are the crown jewels of any collection, far less supply and steady demand.

I'm not sure about Jayne Bretzky cards though...
Old 10-28-2018, 11:15 AM

In 35 years of buying and selling used goods, nobody has ever wanted to buy hockey cards, only to sell. Many hundreds of times over the years. I have no doubt some cards are worth big money but with the reproductions I see in my industry they must exist in that industry too. I know this is not helpful at all but it is an interesting observation nonetheless.