Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you use when shaving?
Single blade safety razor? 25 12.89%
Disposable multi blade shaver? 106 54.64%
Straight razor? 18 9.28%
Electric shaver? 38 19.59%
Do not shave. Bearded? 21 10.82%
Pluck them whiskers? 1 0.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2018, 11:42 PM

Hard to beat a multi blade disposable. Do I have a safety razor like my dads? Yes. Does it work? Yes, works great. Takes more time, and you must be careful, go slower. Got it from Fendrihan. Will last a lifetime. Good cheap blades. However, I can run a disposable across my face very fast, with no issues. Can't do that with a safety razor. Straight razor? Got one of those too, although a cheap one. No damm way. Don't like it. Can't see an expensive one being any better. Good way to cut yourself unnecessarily. I'm not as tough as some I guess, and don't need to be. Nostalgic? For sure. Better? Not in my opinion. For me, can't beat a 5 blade Schick. Change it out every couple months, good to go.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I never was much for shaving, always had a beard of some kind,sometimes I buzz it of with my Remington ,just to see what my bare face looks like for change.
I also use a Remington buzzer just to trim or clean up my beard , I haven’t shaved it bare in the last 6 years
Old 12-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
Hard to beat a multi blade disposable. Do I have a safety razor like my dads? Yes. Does it work? Yes, works great. Takes more time, and you must be careful, go slower. Got it from Fendrihan. Will last a lifetime. Good cheap blades. However, I can run a disposable across my face very fast, with no issues. Can't do that with a safety razor. Straight razor? Got one of those too, although a cheap one. No damm way. Don't like it. Can't see an expensive one being any better. Good way to cut yourself unnecessarily. I'm not as tough as some I guess, and don't need to be. Nostalgic? For sure. Better? Not in my opinion. For me, can't beat a 5 blade Schick. Change it out every couple months, good to go.
The people who use safety/straight razors are the kind of people to whom the journey is just as important as the destination.
Isn't for everyone.
Isn't a matter of being 'better'...it's a matter of it being a boring world if we all had to do things the same.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:57 PM

Question for the straight blade guys, where do you get them sharpened ?
Old 12-15-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muller View Post
Question for the straight blade guys, where do you get them sharpened ?
I do it myself. Daily on the leather strop, once every six months on the linen., every 6 or 7 years on a glass smooth Hard Black Arkansas, and then only a few strokes on each side. If you have a real heavy and thick/tough beard you may have to double the linen and Arkansas frequency.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
The people who use safety/straight razors are the kind of people to whom the journey is just as important as the destination.
Isn't for everyone.
Isn't a matter of being 'better'...it's a matter of it being a boring world if we all had to do things the same.
I actually use a safety razor because the multi blade cartridge razors gave me ungodly razor burn and ingrown hairs. I'm talking about burning for 6+ hours sometimes. I never once had that happen with a safety razor.

I have a friend that could only shave 1 time per week because his skin was so sensitive and carts were painful. Sent him a safety razor and he can shave several times a week without issue.

I know a few people who do the same with straight razors.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:09 PM

Default Razors

I used to watch my old man use an english strt. razor when I was a kid- 60s.

It scared the hell out of me then, and it still does!!
Old 12-15-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
I've got a trick to make Mach 3s or any disposable blade last years. I've been using the same 8 pack of Mach 3 Turbos for about 5 years now. Before you go spend any money on fancy gear just try this for a month, you'll be blown away by how well it works. This has saved me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars over the years.

https://youtu.be/5ADaRIqy0Dc
I tried this method to sharpen the multi-blade this morning and it seems to work.

BW