Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you use when shaving?
Single blade safety razor? 25 12.89%
Disposable multi blade shaver? 106 54.64%
Straight razor? 18 9.28%
Electric shaver? 38 19.59%
Do not shave. Bearded? 21 10.82%
Pluck them whiskers? 1 0.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2018, 08:17 PM

Default A question for everyone who has whiskers

So I was checking out a shave shop in Edmonton and am considering using straight razor for shaving. This shop has some beautiful razors and using one would mean no more buying razor blades. This is the shop I was checking out. The shop category has all the blades. There are lots of guys growing beards now and the store has things to maintain a beards too.

https://www.kentofinglewood.com/coll...traight-razors

And it got me to wondering how many use just what for shaving. I started out using safety razors in the 70's and then went to the generic disposable multi blade shavers when they came out. What do you gents prefer? Any guys using straight razors? Maybe some are even plucking out their whiskers.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 PM

Saw the price on the first one and thought "huh, I figured these would be more expensive". And then I scrolled down.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 PM

I use a straight razor, but I keep some disposables around for the days when I don't want to risk removing things other than the whiskers...

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 PM

Went from disposable to a safety razor. So much better, wished I would have done it 20 years ago. Would have saved a lot of money compared to the multiblade crap.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:54 PM

I use both sn rirctruc ( for quick shave and mustache trimming) and razors if I have time .
Cat
Old 12-12-2018, 09:57 PM

I've been using the Gillette Fusion ProGlide for quite a while, just buy them when they are on sale at Costco. I find that a cartridge will last me up to a month, if I just rinse them in rubbing alcohol after I shave. Dries them out, no rust, still plenty sharp. I am pretty hit an miss on shaving though, 3 or 4 times a week. Whiskers don't bother me.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-12-2018, 11:54 PM

Don't shave much anymore I typically just use clippers to trim it back down to stable every week or so. Whenever I do its either with a phillips norelco electric shaver or the phillips on blade (use the one blade more often).
Old 12-13-2018, 01:34 AM

I have several straight razors. I use continuous diamond plates and a strop to sharpen them. I've bought a few from used sales, antique shops, bargain sales, etc. I was given the first one that my grandpa taught me to shave with.

I haven't used them in a while as I have been keeping somewhat of a beard on. I have a higher end Wahl clipper with guards for trimming to length.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:16 AM

That is a decent shop but the prices are quite high. It is a good place to go and talk to the guys, you can learn quite a lot from them as they are pretty knowledgeable. You can however buy razors and the other accessories on line for a lot less money.

I have used a Henkels straight razor for many years. They do a great job but you can buy a lot of razor blades for the price of a good straight razor so if it is mostly about saving money you will be many years breaking even. I don't know if Henkels still makes them but there are lots of used Henkels for sale on Ebay. Make sure any razor you buy does not have any nicks, rust or other damage on them, it makes them virtually useless.

There are quite a number of really good Straight razors made and you can pay from $80 to $800 for one. Buy a good quality one but if you spend more than $2-300 for a new one you aren't really getting a better razor, just fancier engraving or handle material.

I only stone sharpen my straight razor every 6 or 7 years. The rest of the time the leather and canvas strop is more than enough, but I have a relatively soft beard. I always shower before shaving and with the softened hair I use no soap or shaving lube. I find I get a much closer shave that way.

Take your time when you start out and never pull the razor sideways, always straight up or down. Never shave when you are even a little shaky or distracted. Lock the door when you are shaving, this is not when you want to get bumped or startled. Best of luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:48 AM

KoI is a REALLY expensive place to shop. There are seriously many better places to go. Combined with a lot of the cheaper razors aren't all that good, even the Dovo razors have been known to be utter crap. Quite a few smaller "family" businesses that don't have anywhere near the markup.

If you have a soft beard you could go with a thinner blade such as a hollow or full hollow ground. A thicker beard you might want to go with something like a wedge.

There are a couple Facebook groups that I would recommend if you are interested in more info. The first is Canadian Wet Shavers https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanadianWetShavers and the second is North America's Best Wet Shavers Club. https://www.facebook.com/groups/305368952979318/

I use a safety razor simply because it doesn't make my face burn for hours after a shave like carts did. The blades are also MUCH cheaper. A 100 pack will run you $15-$20 for most common brands and for me that is 3-4 years worth of blades.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:27 AM

I've got a trick to make Mach 3s or any disposable blade last years. I've been using the same 8 pack of Mach 3 Turbos for about 5 years now. Before you go spend any money on fancy gear just try this for a month, you'll be blown away by how well it works. This has saved me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars over the years.

https://youtu.be/5ADaRIqy0Dc
Old 12-13-2018, 08:00 AM

Went to a beard back in late 2016. I looked into a straight razor since my neck does get irritated from shaving 1-2 times per week through.

I'll admit the sticker shock of a most of these straight razors kept me from buying one, though I hear Santa may be bringing one in a couple of weeks.

Also, a number of guys here complaining about price and going online after researching in store - don't ever complain about not having a decent local gun shop again, this is exactly why that happens...

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Banned

Single edge. Better shave and waaay cheaper.
Bought these nearly 2 years ago https://www.amazon.ca/Astra-Superior...08FMZ3A13FC16D and only 1/2 way through them.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Prefer the safety razor myself since I'm usually in a rush in the mornings. Blades are $0.18 each and last a long time.
Check out https://www.fendrihan.ca They have much better prices than Kent.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-13-2018, 10:11 AM

$1,600.00 for a razor. I'll stick with the two blade Bics.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I've been using the Gillette Fusion ProGlide for quite a while, just buy them when they are on sale at Costco. I find that a cartridge will last me up to a month, if I just rinse them in rubbing alcohol after I shave. Dries them out, no rust, still plenty sharp. I am pretty hit an miss on shaving though, 3 or 4 times a week. Whiskers don't bother me.
X2, gotta be clean shaven every day for work, them blades rarely go on sale, but they last quite a while.
How's that Colt doin? Is she ok?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
X2, gotta be clean shaven every day for work, them blades rarely go on sale, but they last quite a while.
How's that Colt doin? Is she ok?
The Colt is great. I did have somebody make a very serious offer a month ago on it, but I resisted the urge to sell...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-13-2018, 10:26 AM

Braun series 9 electronic with alcohol cleaning station. Series 5 lasted me 4 years (still works fine) and new blades at ~$50 every 18 months. It was on sale from $339 to $199 last year.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
$1,600.00 for a razor. I'll stick with the two blade Bics.
Now realistically that's like saying '$14000 for a Gunwerks...I'll stick to my slingshot'
You can buy a decent safety razor for well under $100 or a decent straight razor for under $200.
I paid $50 for my Merkur safety razor two years ago...along with 100 blades (of which I've used 1/2) for $18.00.
$68 total for two years. Pretty sure you've paid that much for you Bic's and at the rate I'm going I've got another two years worth of blades.
After that it will be $18 for four years worth of shaving.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 AM

https://blademag.com/blog/frozen-sha...treated-blades
Old 12-13-2018, 12:29 PM

I usually use a Bic disposable after reading this thread I'm ready to jump on the
safety razor bandwagon just a few questions:
What type?
butterfly
adjustable
comb
What are the best blades?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I usually use a Bic disposable after reading this thread I'm ready to jump on the
safety razor bandwagon just a few questions:
What type?
butterfly
adjustable
comb
What are the best blades?
Oh boy, here we go lol.

For most people the easiest is a 3 piece. So many brands and just like with everything there will be some that you hate and some that you like. Open combs are more aggressive.

Adjustables can be nice since you have more working room to figure out what works for you. If you have really thin hair a mild razor would usually work better while if you have thick hair or don't shave often a more aggressive razor is what you want.

Blades are extremely subjective and you will find a very noticeable difference between brands. They come in all sorts of different sharpnesses and coatings. Much the same as one mans chosen calibre, bullet and rifle is another mans trash. For this reason blade sample packs are really popular.

I have some extra gear if you want to send me a pm we can work something out.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM

There's a lot choices, I'll jump in the middle range with a 6 pack sampler, going with a butterfly type I used 40 years ago until you couldn't buy blades I remember it was easy to clean.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Banned

Actually all covered in depth about a year ago
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=razors
Old 12-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
There's a lot choices, I'll jump in the middle range with a 6 pack sampler, going with a butterfly type I used 40 years ago until you couldn't buy blades I remember it was easy to clean.
Be careful with the cheap chinese butterfly razors, they can vary from utter trash to decent.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:45 PM

Went with a Parker 82R Double-Edge Safety Razor, Butterfly Opening it had the best reviews
Old 12-13-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Went with a Parker 82R Double-Edge Safety Razor, Butterfly Opening it had the best reviews
Awesome. Parker is a pretty good brand.

Here is a list of a few Canadian vendors that you can check out.
https://topofthechain.ca/

https://prohibition-style.myshopify.com/ This guy makes the Prohibition Style products and ships from near Calgary.

https://www.fendrihan.ca/ Already mentioned. They carry some higher end stuff with decent prices.

https://www.italianbarber.com/ AVOID THIS PLACE. The customer service is a joke, the owner has gone on public rants because people called him out on it. Year after year the same BS.

https://www.beardandblade.ca/ This guy is closing up, also in Alberta in Lethbridge. Use code CLOSEOUT25 for 25% off most items.

I am honestly probably forgetting some of the smaller ones. I know there are a few other artisans on Facebook and what not.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:08 PM

I keep a furry face, but to keep the edges straight, and on the dome (where the hairs have been leaving in droves for some time), I use a Mach 3.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 PM

Default Whiskers

I'm lucky in that I don't feel a need to shave any more than twice a week. When I do, I just go with the dollar store variety twin blades & shave cream. I bet I don't spend more than $8 bucks a year on shaving at home. That being said, I do treat myself to a good shave now & again at the barbershop....those are priceless.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:32 PM

I never was much for shaving, always had a beard of some kind,sometimes I buzz it of with my Remington ,just to see what my bare face looks like for change.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.