Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 AM

Default Rules for carrying firearms in BC

Hey Guys,

I'm going to Kicking Horse (near Golden, BC) for a few days for skiing, snow mobiling, and snow shoeing. We are going to be out on crown land while snow mobiling and snow shoeing, and I'm thinking of bringing my 12ga and a 22lr with me.

I want the 12ga in case we come across a sleeping bear and **** it off, coyotes, or wolves. I'll have my 2 dogs with me while snow shoeing and I want to make sure I can take care of any threats to them.

The 22lr will be for plinking mostly.

Anyways, I'm curious if I'm allowed to have firearms on me in BC without a hunting license, and if I can shoot anything without a hunting license.

Any info is appreciated!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Some parks don't allow you to pack a firearm, but in general, you just need your PAL to carry a gun. If you want to shoot more than popcans, you need a hunting licence.
I don't know the answer to this, but you MIGHT be able to shoot "Scedule C" animals without a licence. I would look into it carefully before I attempt to do so though.

Schedule "C" animals can be captured or killed anywhere and at any time in BC. Schedule "C" birds may be hunted using electronic calls. You do not need a hunting licence to hunt or kill the following Schedule "C" wildlife:
(a) Rana catesbeiana - American bullfrog
(b) Rana clamitans - green frog
(c) all species of the family Chelydridae - snapping turtles
(d) Didelphis virginiana - North American opossum
(e) Sylvilagus floridanus - eastern cottontail
(f) Oryctolagus cuniculus - European rabbit
(g) Myocastor coypus - nutria
(h) all species of the genus Sciurus - gray squirrels and fox squirrels
(i) Passer domesticus - house sparrow
(j) Sturnus vulgaris - European starling
(k) Columbia livia - rock dove (domestic pigeon)

You do need a hunting licence to hunt the following Schedule "C" wildlife UNLESS you are hunting them on your property or they are damaging your property:
(a) all species of the genus Corvus - crows, except Corvus corax - common raven
(b) Pica pica - black-billed magpie
(c) Molothrus ater - brown-headed cowbird and the eggs of this bird species may be destroyed.

RD
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
If you want to shoot more than popcans, you need a hunting licence.
Is it actually legal to shoot pop cans or just go plinking outdoors or do people just do it anyway? I've done it but I've never actually known if it's entirely legal. Of course I'm more curious about the laws regarding this in Alberta. Can anyone point me to the regulations in this regard?

"From my cold dead hands!"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Thomas Jefferson
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often
and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Banned

You are probably O.K. with just your P.A.L. to carry but you will need a B.C non res licsence and a guide if you are shooting critters.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Is it actually legal to shoot pop cans or just go plinking outdoors or do people just do it anyway? I've done it but I've never actually known if it's entirely legal. Of course I'm more curious about the laws regarding this in Alberta. Can anyone point me to the regulations in this regard?
Legal in BC as long as you clean up after yourself.
(I know, I know, it doesn't mean anything if I don't post a link, but you're more interested in Alberta anyway)

Cheers
RD
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM

Don't forget to seal your firearms while you are driving through the National Parks.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 PM

Default A response from a BCer.

This might sound a little crass but I'm sure we'd prefer you leave your guns at home in Aberta than find an excuse to kill our critters.

As far as I know it's probably illegal to kill bears, wolves, or what have you to protect your dogs. Lived here all my life, done alot of backpacking. Your more likely to die from an avalanche or tumble down a ravine than face wolves preying on you. Wolf attacks on humans next to never. Bears are fast asleep. Relax in the pristine BC wilderness and enjoy the snow.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBusa View Post
This might sound a little crass but I'm sure we'd prefer you leave your guns at home in Aberta than find an excuse to kill our critters.

As far as I know it's probably illegal to kill bears, wolves, or what have you to protect your dogs. Lived here all my life, done alot of backpacking. Your more likely to die from an avalanche or tumble down a ravine than face wolves preying on you. Wolf attacks on humans next to never. Bears are fast asleep. Relax in the pristine BC wilderness and enjoy the snow.
I plan on enjoying the pristine wilderness, and will do it the same way I do on the AB side of the mountains. Always take my shotgun out when I go back packing and usually the 22 also for some fun. Have yet to kill a single "critter". But I'll still always carry, just in case. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it, especially when I have my wife and kids(dogs) with me.

My biggest concern is that the area has a grizzly bear sanctuary, so I assume there is a possibility that there are some stray grizzly's out there. If I came across a sleeping one while on snow shoes, and ****ed it off, I don't stand a chance of fleeing, too damn slow in snow shoes. I realize the minuscule chance of this happening, but prepare for the worst...

PS I looked up the regs, I would need to get a non res hunting license to shoot coyote and additional tag for wolf, the license is ~$70, more than I care to spend for no reason.

Last edited by korie83; 12-04-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

If you are concerned about safety, you would know that you are more likely to have a 'gun-related' accident than use it to protect your family from the abominable snowman, sleeping bears, or rabid wolves.

Just look at the stats.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Don't mean to sound disrespectful but this is what I never understand. I have travelled and hiked BC backcountry from the west coast to the Kootenays, the Yukon boarder to Washington State. BC has more black bears, grizzlies and wolves than anywhere in North America outside Alaska. Also, a ton of cougar and other predators. I have never carried a gun, not even while out hiking the Stikine Plateau. Never seen a grizzly, nor a cougar. They don't like you as much as you don't like them. Certainly no need to worry about grizzlies in the middle of winter.

If you read the statistics Albertans die in droves in BC avalanches, but never have I heard of a predator killing someone while out show shoeing or skiing.
As the previous poster spelled out you are probably more likely to die "protecting" yourself with a firearm. I advocate using your head. If your family is at risk don't go. Don't go out in the wilderness to drink coco and then a need to defend them. The facts just doesn't support the rationale.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Grizzly bears do come out in the winter, don't kid yourself!!! All you need is your PAL and you can carry your firearms for plinking or self defense.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 PM

I don't worry much about sleepy walkabouts on a warm day in the middle of winter, nor should most.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 PM

kories83 - your fears make you sound like a guy whose from the States.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
If you are concerned about safety, you would know that you are more likely to have a 'gun-related' accident than use it to protect your family from the abominable snowman, sleeping bears, or rabid wolves.

Just look at the stats.
I have complete confidence in my safe handling of firearms, I have no worries that I might hurt someone, even by accident.

Quote:
Don't mean to sound disrespectful but this is what I never understand. I have travelled and hiked BC backcountry from the west coast to the Kootenays, the Yukon boarder to Washington State. BC has more black bears, grizzlies and wolves than anywhere in North America outside Alaska. Also, a ton of cougar and other predators. I have never carried a gun, not even while out hiking the Stikine Plateau. Never seen a grizzly, nor a cougar. They don't like you as much as you don't like them. Certainly no need to worry about grizzlies in the middle of winter.

If you read the statistics Albertans die in droves in BC avalanches, but never have I heard of a predator killing someone while out show shoeing or skiing.
As the previous poster spelled out you are probably more likely to die "protecting" yourself with a firearm. I advocate using your head. If your family is at risk don't go. Don't go out in the wilderness to drink coco and then a need to defend them. The facts just doesn't support the rationale.
Just because it has never happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have never been in a vehicle accident in 30 years, should I no longer wear my seat belt (and yes I know statistically this is much more likely to happen). I also keep road side emergency equipment in my truck, never needed it. I lock the doors of my house at night too, never been broken in too. I even have a home alarm system. Are you seeing my point? I realize firearms have a potential hazard involved in their use compared to these other safe guards I've listed, but not if they are used in a responsible manor. It's no skin off my back to throw my 12ga in my pack along with *SHOCK* all my other safety and survival emergency gear, so why not have it. A shotgun can also be a great tool for signaling in case of an emergency too!

And btw, anytime you do any kind of backcountry hiking, snow mobiling etc there is a risk factor, not just because of predators. How is providing myself options to deal with potential risks not "using my head"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
kories83 - your fears make you sound like a guy whose from the States.
Fear is not a factor in any of this, its just situational preparedness. We prepare for the unexpected in all sorts of ways everyday of our lives, how is this any different? Does wearing your seat belt mean you are afraid to drive down the street?

I'm not sure how this thread got so side tracked. I am not some kind of paranoid trigger happy Rambo wanna-be nut job. I'm not running through the woods looking for an excuse to blast random animals. My shotgun fits in my hiking pack just as easily as all my other hiking gear, which includes first-aid, survival, and safety gear, so I carry it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to run into problems with hunting laws etc, carrying it.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korie83 View Post

. . . I'm not sure how this thread got so side tracked . . .
This thread has not got side-tracked at all.

Given what's been said by others so far, it's 'right' on course!

TF
Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don't worry much about sleepy walkabouts on a warm day in the middle of winter, nor should most.
Yeah,neither did the old couple who got sh!t hammered by a grizzly just outside my town here last week.They are both in Foothills Hospital right now.

I carry.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Better safe than sorry...better to have it and not need it than...where am I? Can't believe this argument is happening here. I would never leave my house without a firearm if it was allowed.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:

No disrespect intended, but I'm one of the few that has had a couple wolves make a run at my kids in the winter. Right around Christmas time actually. I managed to change the Black ones mind on the spot, and the gray ones mind the next morning as it was feasting on the Black one (All that you can't see of the black one is INSIDE the Gray one). We were only about 100yrds from the front step at the time.
Like the OP said, "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

My dog managed to intercept the Black one in the initial confrontation, although he had to hustle his butt to get there in time. It was within about 20ft of the kids when "Shadow" blocked her forward momentum.

RD
Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Everyone's got a story. Not sure what I've done right and others have done wrong? Just stating the facts fears are just that. Most of our fears are unwarranted and thats undisputed.

To the original poster. Have fun in BC but I'd prefer you leave your guns at home than mess up our wilderness. If BC is so scary then do an all inclusive in Mexico. Yet, better not but that's whole different story. I won't get into that one.

Last edited by BCBusa; 12-05-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
To the original poster. Have fun in BC but I'd prefer you leave your guns at home than mess up our wilderness.
How is his bringing his guns going to mess up 'your' wilderness?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
No disrespect intended, but I'm one of the few that has had a couple wolves make a run at my kids in the winter. Right around Christmas time actually. I managed to change the Black ones mind on the spot, and the gray ones mind the next morning as it was feasting on the Black one (All that you can't see of the black one is INSIDE the Gray one). We were only about 100yrds from the front step at the time.
Like the OP said, "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

My dog managed to intercept the Black one in the initial confrontation, although he had to hustle his butt to get there in time. It was within about 20ft of the kids when "Shadow" blocked her forward momentum.

RD
Have you thought about getting a partner for your dog?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 PM

Looks like your pooch got bit up pretty bad. Good pooch. Hope it makes a full recovery.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunt View Post
Looks like your pooch got bit up pretty bad. Good pooch. Hope it makes a full recovery.
That's not the dog

RD
Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Everyone's got a story. Not sure what I've done right and others have done wrong? Just stating the facts fears are just that. Most of our fears are unwarranted and thats undisputed.

To the original poster. Have fun in BC but I'd prefer you leave your guns at home than mess up our wilderness. If BC is so scary then do an all inclusive in Mexico. Yet, better not but that's whole different story. I won't get into that one.
Just so you all know,I`m from the east Kootenays,I carry a rifle when I go out.

B.C. Busa is from the lower wasteland,even worse,the Island.He carries granola bars and and a hopefull song in his heart.

Bring your guns,better than getting killed on your holiday.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Guess I move like a ghost, several Grizz encounters and one cougar in the east slope of the rockies. Can't see the BC side being much different. I'd take mine
Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM

All fear mongering aside, I take guns with me everywhere while in the bush, not so much for predator defense/self defense, emergencies and what not. Why? Because I enjoy shooting, the barrel cools faster when its cold out, there is usually less people in the area, win win.
Yes it is legal to carry your NR firearm in the bush, in BC, but like other posters have said, ensure you are where you think you are and not in a National/Provincial park where there are restrictions. That goes for storage while driving through parks too.
Good luck and enjoy the outdoors.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post

B.C. Busa is from the lower wasteland,even worse,the Island.He carries granola bars and and a hopefull song in his heart.

lol, I know I found that odd too, to the OP enjoy the BC wilderness.

OP you can use this website to see the restrictions on any BC park..
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/
Old 12-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

Default Yeh - was fishing in creston last summer - duck lake

walking off the road on the north side to get to the shore - suddenly we're in b/w Ma and her cub who was up in a tree munching. I had three little kids, (4) fishing rods and (2) tackle boxes ....

Thank God she didn't feel threatened - we just slowly turned and walked back to the car, Ma-Ma didn't charge !

Never felt so naked in my life and I've sworn to NEVER go into BC wilderness without a shotgun on my back !

TBD

... take yer guns ( most always a warning shot is all you'll need to fire ) !

... and if it's a GRIZ don't shoot him with a .22

Last edited by TBD; 12-19-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Gone Fishing

When I was living in Mackenzie,BC, I looked into what would be required to just pack a defender with me when I go backpacking solo! As I understood the reg's to read was I would need to have a hunting licence for any critter I might shoot that was in season in the area I was hiking.
Seemed like way too much BS for me so I just carry my bear spray, it works on wolfs, bears and cats and a whole lot less weight and hastle.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post

Absolutely!!
ha ha ha ha