Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-06-2023, 09:45 PM

Default 28ga. lead upland loads

I need some advice re: upland (pheasant) loads for the 28ga. Based on what I've read on the web, some hunters prefer 1oz. loads while others claim a load exceeding 7/8oz. is a waste because it doesn't pattern well.

Any thoughts or experience? Hoping members like Oldgutpile, WWBirds, Catnthehat or anyone else might point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2023, 10:10 PM

Default You will get a lot of opinions and none are wrong

I was introduced to a 28 gauge by my friends from ontario who used them mostly for woodcock and ruffies. They asked me to pick up 1 ounce loads for them at wss before yhey arrived for a western hunt as that is all they used. We had some incredible hunts in saskstchewan and alberta and it quickly became my favorite partially due to the 5.5 pound baby frame covering many miles looking for sharptails. I try to reload anything i shoot a lot and in my resesrch i discovered the 7/8 load was considered by many to be a square load meaning 7/8 shot over standard charge was ideal. Shot a lot of sporting clays, chukars, huns and pheasants out to 30 to 35 yards and never felt undergunned. Not a big believer in shot size or choke having much influence on killing power. If you hit them they should come down and the dog gets a retrieve
Old 02-06-2023, 10:36 PM

I have tried 1 ounce loads, but I have settled on nickel plated 7/8 ounce loads, specifically Fiocchi Golden Pheasant. I have killed hundreds of birds using these loads over the years, with no issues.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:14 PM

I have used #5 WW 1 oz loads in my 28ga and it is a hammer ... have also used Fiochhi golden phesant as well in 7/8oz and see no real world difference that I can tell. But heard a story of an Alberta guy who imported a shipping container of WW 1oz 28ga loads to Argentina for dove shooting on his property there ... cant remember where I read it...anyone else???
Old 02-07-2023, 07:22 AM

The biggest difference that I notice, is that the nickel plated shot penetrates better than non plated shot, and it drags less feathers into the meat, and that is why I switched over to the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:08 AM

Default 28 info

Been using the 28's for probably 15 years now. I have used the 7/8 oz. loads with no issues on everything from Bobwhite to pheasant and even the odd goose. My favorite load is either #5 or #6 copper plated shot just for the reasoning of less feather drag. I make my own #8 shot from WW lead and on walked up birds, with the exception of feather drag, it performs really well.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:18 AM

I have used the 28 gauge extensively for quite a few years , and my son has used one as his main bird gun for the past 14 or so years.
As EH11 has mentioned, plated shot penetrates better, not because it is going faster, but because it is smoother and doesn't grab feathers .
I tried 1 OZ loads when I first started hand loading for the 28 and was not impressed, especially when I was able to shoot high 20's scores (and even cleaned a few rounds) on a ATA trap field with a mod choked SxS 28 using 7/8 oz loads.
I also agree with wwbirds about choke and shot size not being the biggest factors in killing. If your shot pattern is centered on the bird's neck and head it is going to die.
My favorite load is 7/8oz of 7 or 6 nickle shot behind 30 grains if H110, but I have seen some amazing shooting done with 3/4oz loads as well.
Cat
Old 02-07-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have used the 28 gauge extensively for quite a few years , and my son has used one as his main bird gun for the past 14 or so years.
As EH11 has mentioned, plated shot penetrates better, not because it is going faster, but because it is smoother and doesn't grab feathers .
I tried 1 OZ loads when I first started hand loading for the 28 and was not impressed, especially when I was able to shoot high 20's scores (and even cleaned a few rounds) on a ATA trap field with a mod choked SxS 28 using 7/8 oz loads.
I also agree with wwbirds about choke and shot size not being the biggest factors in killing. If your shot pattern is centered on the bird's neck and head it is going to die.
My favorite load is 7/8oz of 7 or 6 nickle shot behind 30 grains if H110, but I have seen some amazing shooting done with 3/4oz loads as well.
Cat
I use Universal with 3/4 ounce skeet loads, it burns exceptionally clean, and is very easy on hulls.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I use Universal with 3/4 ounce skeet loads, it burns exceptionally clean, and is very easy on hulls.
I loaded a truck load of Longshot in my skeet loads and home made shot , and 4756 as well as 7625 and HS6, but only because I have lots of it on hand.
They all seem to work well, but Universal seems to burn pretty clean , especially compared to Longshot!
Cat
Old 02-07-2023, 10:01 AM

Default Thanks guys

I appreciate everyone's input.

Cheers
Old 02-07-2023, 02:01 PM

Default 28 ga loads

I've used a 28 ga Beretta A400 with a modified choke for 95% of my upland hunting with the pointing dog the past 2 seasons. Reloads with 7/8 oz of #6 shot with Lil Gun powder have worked quite well for ruffs, sharptails, chukars and blues. Book load from Hodgdon using Ballistic Products wads.