Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-02-2019, 09:48 PM

Default Accuracy nodes for the 17Hornet

First of all, Thanks a lot for the advice and encouragement on my previous thread where I moaned about not finding accuracy for 25gr pills in my cz527.

Previously I’d been loading the bullets to max mag length which was 1.745” And on a ladder test the best accuracy I got was 1” at 11.4gr of cfeblk. So it made sense to me to stay with that powder cuz I’d already found what charge my combo of rifle/bullet/powder liked.

And, as I mentioned in my previous thread, I got that trigger to where there’s no creep and no discernible after travel, making it every bit as good as the Tikka triggers that I know and hold very dear. (Still a really sticky bolt and the worst ever mag.)

Someone mentioned to try playing with the coal and the first test I did was at 1.800” And it shot a stellar .5” group. Previously unheard of in this gun. So I loaded up a 3-shot batch and did a ladder test from 1.810 to 1.850 incl at .010 increments. 1.810 thru 1.830 all shot the typical 1.75” groups. Then the 1.840 tightened back up to .5” and the 1.850 was two shots on a fly’s butt and a third 1” flyer which could have been my fault. But the two tight ones could have been a fluke,too. So more testing is in order.

What this did was build confidence in the Cz to shoot the 25’s. And that there’s two accuracy nodes at two very different seating depths. So now I’ll load up some more rounds going up and down from 1.800 and another batch from 1.840and up to 1.863 which is where the bullet touches the lands. I had to single shot all of this but now I can justify getting a Calhoon single shot follower.

And I can likely do this with the 20gr bullets as well.

This is when I really appreciate this forum is when I can get some success from the input of all you guys out there. Cudos to all you guys that take the time to share the knowledge and wisdom you have gained.

Last edited by aardvaark; 05-02-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:30 PM

You may have to sand the lips back on the mag till the bolt slides properly. I have no idea why the Chechs do this. Once fixed, the mags are great and the bolt is pretty smooth. Might have to work the action a little.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:47 AM

Default choices

I use the single shot adapter in all of my 527 rifles, would wear out my thumbs loading mags in a good gopher patch......FS
Old 05-04-2019, 02:49 AM

Default loads

I have just loaded some test ammo with Vhit 120 with 20 gr vmax bullets, some good threads on 24hour Campfire website
Old 05-04-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I use the single shot adapter in all of my 527 rifles, would wear out my thumbs loading mags in a good gopher patch......FS
Amen..PS if you get a case head behind another case and can't feed the top round CLOSE the truck window when you take the mag apart...them little piece can go a looong ways.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.