Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Default Strange results with shotgun slugs

Bought a slug shotgun with a rifled barrel and bought 3 boxes of Hornady SST 300gr sabot slugs.

Box 1 : Shot well, adjusted windage and elevation to print where I wanted them at 50m. Holes in target were in gauge of the bullet and there was visual confirmation of the sabot leaving the slug.

Box 2 : 8" group not consistent with the flight of the previous box and the holes were massive in the 50m target. No visual sabots separating from projectile.

Box 3 : Back to small holes and 1.5"ish group with confirmation of sabots leaving the slug in flight.

Has anyone had indications of the bullets and sabots remaining married at the target before? Seems really weird.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:00 AM

Defective batch of Slugs. It isn't all that common but I have read similar complaints about the Hornady SSTs on other reviews of their slugs. Have not personally experienced it though so just passing on what I read elsewhere.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 PM

I was getting 1.5 inch groups today out of my Browning Abolt slug gun at 100 yards today.. had a flyer drop 4 inch down and 1 inch to the right. I noticed on its sabot.. that one pedal was broken off. Could have been a factor? After that one round . Was back to normal.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:20 PM

Give Lightfield Hybrid’s or Winchester BRI a try. Pretty accurate from my Rem 870 Sure Shot w/cantilever barrel.
The Shootist in St Albert has 2.75 & 3” Lightfields
Old 05-08-2019, 09:10 AM

I wonder if the sabots begin to stick to the slug after they age a bit, like sitting on a store shelf or in a warm gun cabinet?

I had an experience once with Remington factory loads in .270 Win, where I decided to use up some older ‘bargain bin’ ammo of indeterminate age just to salvage the brass. The first two showed absolutely wild over-pressure, and when I tried to separate the remainder in my press, I was not able to pull (or push) the bullets at all. Carefully cutting one in half showed that the bullets had completely bonded to the case necks over time, thanks to what appeared to be some sort of green sealant applied by the manufacturer.

I wonder if, in your case, box #2 was maybe older than he other two boxes?
Old 05-08-2019, 12:30 PM

I had a similar issue. New gun, bought a selection of brands to see which worked the best in the gun. I had great groups the first time out with the Hornady.

Stocked up and went back to the range and experienced total lack of consistency.

Attributed to my skills and getting lucky the first day. Hmmm, maybe it wasn't me!