Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2024, 01:32 PM

Adios.....

Life goes by fast enough that you don't have to take your holidays and spend lots of money on this BS....

Just sayin.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:59 PM

You need to ask yourself . How did he become your friend in the first place ?
Old 03-01-2024, 06:02 PM

I remember a good friend saying “people come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime” - very true!
Old 03-01-2024, 09:26 PM

Same with ex-wives. Sure at one time you ‘loved them to the moon and back’, but there came a time ….
Old 03-02-2024, 01:14 AM

Cutting ties is hard . My uncle told me about one winter when he and his brother headed into the mountains where they worked as a team loading up sleds with logs that would be taken to a sawmill where they got flattened.

A 10 year contract cutting ties sounds like you'd need more than one friend

Old 03-02-2024, 08:18 AM

My buddy and I skipped school to take a job at a tie mill. I didn’t last a day but he was stronger so he cut ties with me and cut ties without me.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:29 AM

There is the right way and the wrong way to cut ties with a close friend .

The wrong way is ..Telling the person not to call you as you want nothing to do with them .This closes the door forever .This also makes you look like a low life

The right way is just move apart slowly and just stop doing things with them .
This at least leaves the door open just to say hi as a gentlemen if they are in the same room or at at an out park .

Last edited by -JR-; 03-02-2024 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
There is the right way and the wrong way to cut ties with a close friend .

The wrong way is ..Telling the person not to call you as you want nothing to do with them .This closes the door forever .This also makes you look like a low life

The right way is just move apart slowly and just stop doing things with them .
This at least leaves the door open just to say hi as a gentlemen if they are in the same room or at at an out park .
You are way nicer than me lol. Some just don’t get the hint if you try to slowly move away from them too

But if I decide I am done with someone I am done with them. I was taught to be honest and honesty isn’t always nice.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:13 AM

Sounds like you're about a rigid in your beliefs as your friend is in theirs.

I have some very good friends who have completely different perspectives as I do but because we've been lifelong friends with other shared interests, experiences and history outside of politics and current events, we've maintained a level of respect and understanding that we simply don't agree on some issues. At times though, through respectful dialogue, we've actually been able to have shifts with some of our viewpoints.

If this particular friendship isn't deep enough that that the disagreements overshadow any positive aspects of the relationship then it's time to move on.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:56 AM

Clearly you two share something in common - this was the foundation of your friendship that began 10 years ago.

I don't see a need to terminate your friendship over differing opinions. That's essentially cancel culture - a toxic approach to differing opinions and dialogue.

Maintaining a friendship despite differing opinions is a skill. There is nothing wrong with listening to someone else's opinion and trying to understand their perspective. It's an opportunity for self-reflection, better understanding of your own perspectives, and growth.

Burying your head in the sand and removing those around you that see the world differently stifles personal growth and highlights your own insecurity.

That said, friends often drift apart and there is nothing wrong with that. Just the way life goes.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=pittman;4706167]

Burying your head in the sand and removing those around you that see the world differently stifles personal growth and highlights your own insecurity.

Just think how much personal growth and security he could have if he had trudeau as a close friend if that was the case. (Lol)
Old 03-03-2024, 10:45 AM

To preface, I consider myself conservative and right leaning and am friends with people of varying political beliefs from left wing to right wing and more right leaning than myself.

I don't mind a civil conversation on politics but typically choose to keep my opinions on politics and religion to myself. Not because I don't want to offend someone, but I truly believe opinions are like a-holes and we're all entitled to them.

However, I have been acquainted with people who can't keep their political opinions to themselves, left and right leaning. F the Libs or F the UCP shouldn't define your entire personality and it can really be exhausting being around someone who is constantly spracking off about their politics.

You say that a few other spouses have stopped talking to you for the same reason. Like someone else pointed out, sounds like you're just as rigid in your beliefs as your future ex-friend. I'm not saying cut him off or otherwise, that's completely your decision, but maybe keep your car cruise on topic and leave your politics at home.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:06 PM

Exclamation Just sayin'

Life is too short to put up with fanatics and zealots of any stripe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jordan not obligated.jpg (65.8 KB, 56 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-04-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
Clearly you two share something in common - this was the foundation of your friendship that began 10 years ago.

I don't see a need to terminate your friendship over differing opinions. That's essentially cancel culture - a toxic approach to differing opinions and dialogue.

Maintaining a friendship despite differing opinions is a skill. There is nothing wrong with listening to someone else's opinion and trying to understand their perspective. It's an opportunity for self-reflection, better understanding of your own perspectives, and growth.

That said, friends often drift apart and there is nothing wrong with that. Just the way life goes.
Yes. It appears Trudeau and Trump have both created a massive wave of cancel culture. Both have been incredibly and debilitatingly polarizing to the point just saying you like or dislike one or the other can cause people to never talk to you again.

People forget that we all can share many thing in common yet hyper focus on a few sensitive topics that have been blown up.

Friends can agree to disagree and still have a rum and coke and laugh about antics on a hockey game. Argue if burger or dogs are better bbq party food. If cats are better than dogs. If one should hire a repair guy or do it yourself off YouTube. If using a corkie fly fishing is really fly fishing and so on.

If one can’t be friends with someone who is a fervent Trudeau or Trump then it’s sad. It is also sad if you are the fervent person that you can’t give it a rest when hanging out with friends who aren’t.

If one’s entire sense of being revolves around one aspect of society… it means your need to open your eyes to other stuff and chill a bit. Otherwise as Pittman says, you will likely devolve to a singular and narrow view of the world. Surrounding ourselves with confirmation bias never helps one self grow.

That said, some friendships just drift apart, question is do you burn a bridge or just let it go for a while. Life changes for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
To preface, I consider myself conservative and right leaning and am friends with people of varying political beliefs from left wing to right wing and more right leaning than myself.

I don't mind a civil conversation on politics but typically choose to keep my opinions on politics and religion to myself. Not because I don't want to offend someone, but I truly believe opinions are like a-holes and we're all entitled to them.

However, I have been acquainted with people who can't keep their political opinions to themselves, left and right leaning. F the Libs or F the UCP shouldn't define your entire personality and it can really be exhausting being around someone who is constantly spracking off about their politics.

You say that a few other spouses have stopped talking to you for the same reason. Like someone else pointed out, sounds like you're just as rigid in your beliefs as your future ex-friend. I'm not saying cut him off or otherwise, that's completely your decision, but maybe keep your car cruise on topic and leave your politics at home.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-04-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Yep. It is. Just seems everyone's a zealot now.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 03-04-2024, 02:15 PM

It sounds like the guy was an acquaintance of 10 years not really a friend. Keep enjoying your week long car cruise as that's the common ground that led to hanging out with the guy in the first place. There are obviously a lot of other people that you can hang out and chat with, nobody said that you need to be "besties" with one couple. Why get wrapped up in other peoples' ideas, life's way too short? Go in with a who cares attitude and if someone is spouting some crazy nonsense that you don't agree with, carry on and chat with someone else.

If you want to quit the cruising group because you can't discuss politics and topics that are "rational" and "important" to "you", sell your car and use the money to hang out in a coffee shop of your choice or subscribe to any number of podcasts or publications that fit with your beliefs. It sounds like your love of cars and cruising have been overshadowed by other interests.

To me politics and personal ideals have nothing to do with the love of cars and being a gear head. Talk about cam profiles, fuel delivery, chassis, transmissions, paint etc. If someone came up to me at a car show or car cruise and started talking to me about politics or world events I'd tell them to beat it. I see and hear about enough of that crap everyday, the last thing I would want is to get bombarded with more of it while trying to enjoy one of my hobbies.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:39 PM

Sounds like he is a Liberal or NDP supporter? If this is the case I would punt him immediately. There is no hope for him and why not enjoy your vacation. I have no friends that support the left.😆
Old 03-05-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I feel sorry for this guy but punt him.
I'd punt myself and find something else to do. You always going to have issues like that in large groups of people that were not like minded going in.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:42 PM

I agree with the vast majority of the people on here ......... no point in getting aggravated or feeling like you can't have a meaningful discussion due to someone's "ABSOLUTE" hard line view on something.

I can't stand ignorance and intolerance and have crazy lib friends as well as ult right nut job friends too BUT all my friends have one thing in common, we can discuss, argue and disagree with each other, but we listen, consider each other's point and have respect for our differing views.

No point in dealing with anyone close minded, hard lined or willfully ignorant. Just too frustrating and hard to keep the energy up to deal with stupidity.