Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-08-2019, 11:00 PM

Default Best Camo Pattern for Alberta

I am thinking of picking up some Sitka or Kuiu gear and I am wondering what pattern you guys think is the most effective in Alberta.

Some of the hunting will be in the prairie grasslands and some in the bush and some in the mountains. Do you think the sub alpine Sitka line would cover all 3 terrian?

I was in Bass Pro today and tried some of the Sitka gear on. Man that stuff is top quality, its very light and extremely comfortable and well thought out.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I am thinking of picking up some Sitka or Kuiu gear and I am wondering what pattern you guys think is the most effective in Alberta.

Some of the hunting will be in the prairie grasslands and some in the bush and some in the mountains. Do you think the sub alpine Sitka line would cover all 3 terrian?

I was in Bass Pro today and tried some of the Sitka gear on. Man that stuff is top quality, its very light and extremely comfortable and well thought out.
And extremely expensive....
Old 07-08-2019, 11:19 PM

A 2010 Chevy.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:01 AM

Default Shhhsssh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
And extremely expensive....
Quite, dont tell my wife Shhhssssh
Old 07-09-2019, 12:21 AM
Banned

Yes, you’ll be fine with with that gear in that pattern. Your scent, sound, silhouette and movement will give you away long before what you are wearing will.

If you want to save money and still get a great hunting jacket, the US Military gortex jackets on eBay with the blue/grey digital pattern camo are a bargain.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:22 AM

As stupid as it might sound - get some ugly brown carhartt work pants. Wear them in, get them dirty, wash, repeat.
They’ll get to be about the same colour as dead grass, and will work as decent camo in almost all situations. Think about how well a deer blends in when it’s standing still, and the colour of the pants almost match.
Having said that, camo is mostly for people to feel like they’re hidden. If you’re doing it right, you should be able to smoke a cigar and wear a tuxedo... not that i would ever try that, though. Whatever gives me confidence is going to make me a better hunter
Old 07-09-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
As stupid as it might sound - get some ugly brown carhartt work pants. Wear them in, get them dirty, wash, repeat.
They’ll get to be about the same colour as dead grass, and will work as decent camo in almost all situations. Think about how well a deer blends in when it’s standing still, and the colour of the pants almost match.
Having said that, camo is mostly for people to feel like they’re hidden. If you’re doing it right, you should be able to smoke a cigar and wear a tuxedo... not that i would ever try that, though. Whatever gives me confidence is going to make me a better hunter
Times 2 , my vote is also “carhart camo “
Old 07-09-2019, 05:57 AM
Banned

I very rarely wear camo. Jeans and a Jean jacket is what works for me.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:

No offense, but that's a waist of money. Animals don't care what you wear when you shoot them. Play the wind, camo is only good to attract hunters.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:12 AM

If it will help with your confidence i think go for it, most of these garments are designed to perform in the back country which will set them apart from your carhartts and jean jacket. I'd look at First lite as well. JMO
Old 07-09-2019, 07:29 AM

The kuiu stuff is generally great gear but i have issues with the pants. My guide pants are pilled and worn after two seasons. Not what i would expect for the price.

I would buy a neutral pant (carhartt) and then spend on two jackets. Vias for grass Verde for bush. The kuiu jackets seem to hold up well.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 AM

Just a random thought from a hunting newbie.

I would consider the type of terrain you are most likely going to want to wear a gore-tex jacket/pant and then give preference in pattern to that terrain, also where you will spend most days in the field.

Myself, I would give preference to something with a pattern well suited to mountain hunting as that is where I am most likely going to be wearing the jacket on multiday trips above the protection of the treeline. It is also the hunting I am most excited about. If I was hunting grasslands on day trips from the vehicle I would rarely ever use gore-tex and I only use it in the forest during a solid rain - but that is me and I know some people live in the stuff.

The reason I would want a hunting specific rain jacket is not so much for the camo, but is the soft, silent fabric!!! Have fun buying it!!!!
Old 07-09-2019, 07:35 AM
Banned

Blue fr coveralls and leave them outside. I've poked deer in the nose wearing them. Camo is just nail polish for men
Old 07-09-2019, 07:39 AM

I picked up a set of the Sitka timberline pants 2 years ago as I was in need of a new set of pants and wanted something more technical and high quality. I went with the Optifade Open Country which I find to be a more versatile camo pattern.

They are great pants, very comfortable and can be used for almost the entire season. Go up one size from what you would normally wear. Sitka fits a little small. Expensive but so far seem to be holding up extremely well.

Bottom line, go with whatever is going to keep you warm and comfortable and last a long time.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
Camo is just nail polish for men

Ok you owe me a tablet cleaning. Just spit my morning coffee. Funniest thing I've seen here for a long time. Well done.

But, but, it keeps guys from scoping you.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:03 AM

I have a bunch of both and once the snow falls they stick out like a sore thumb. Emailed kuiu about this and the Alberta rep told me they have none do not plan to make any. Said to go and buy clothes to put over top. So pay huge $ to buy their products then go to Walmart and buy something to cover up their ****ty camo
Old 07-09-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I have a bunch of both and once the snow falls they stick out like a sore thumb. Emailed kuiu about this and the Alberta rep told me they have none do not plan to make any. Said to go and buy clothes to put over top. So pay huge $ to buy their products then go to Walmart and buy something to cover up their ****ty camo
lol, because it hardly ever snows in the mountains, you can see that in all the KUIU videos!!!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:10 AM

I have worn the Sitka Open Country for the past three years from Sept 1 to Nov 30 and from the prairies to the mountains. This will be my first year having sub alpine and I bought it for early season sheep as well as early season tree stand hunting. Once the leaves are gone, I will be back to the Open Country pattern.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:12 AM

Default Camo

If you have "extra" money to burn, then look at Badlands.... They have the BEST warranty hands down.
You rip it they replace it, you tear it going through a fence, they replace for LIFE. I don't think ANYONE offers that... Its like the Vortex warranty for clothes
Old 07-09-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
A 2010 Chevy.
Hahaha awesome
Old 07-09-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Save your money, go with a Forest Lawn dinner jacket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E52575AF-317A-41A9-A677-F053649426F5.jpg (19.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:26 AM

If you're looking for hi-tec stuff you're on your own. If a simple camo pattern that will break up your outline while not breaking the bank will do, have a look at ASAT. It's an All Season All Terrain pattern that simply works. Comes in Regular or Leafy. Just don't be deceived by how it looks to your eyes on the retailers display rack. It's far from pretty but it has been tried and proven in Alberta since 2001.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:49 AM

Wow...blue jeans,blue FRs,blue/grey digital camo.....you guys should read up a bit on deer vision.The blue spectrum is highly visible to deer and the absolute worst colour you could ever wear deer hunting,you’d be better off in a Santa Claus suit.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:25 AM

You should also consider which material is the quietest, especially if you plan to do a lot of stalk and spot.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:35 AM

I use First lite Fusion and Cypher..

IMHO it beats out both sitka and kuiu.. but it is all expensive stuff.

Of which none of these companies be it Kuiu, first lite or sitka are worth even close to what the ask retail. They all make quality product, but the retail prices should be half of what they are or less.

I have been considering changing over to some of the Russian Gorka Suits. They are very reasonably priced, with many different patterns, and insulation levels. I know there are many people on where who use them as well and seem to rave about them for the $$

If I had to do it over again, Im quite sure I would save the premium I paid for first lite and buy 1 or 2 of them instead. An entire suit with jacket and bibs usualyl cost under $200. Cant even barely buy 1 peiece of any of those "premium brands" for that price.

I really like the Tibet Pattern, it looks quite a bit like first lite Fusion IMHO..
as well as one of the white winter type alpine patterns.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:31 PM
Banned

Whatever brand of pick up, in white. Fleet truck white.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Whatever brand of pick up, in white. Fleet truck white.
But don't you still have to wear camo while driving?
Old 07-09-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
If you're looking for hi-tec stuff you're on your own. If a simple camo pattern that will break up your outline while not breaking the bank will do, have a look at ASAT. It's an All Season All Terrain pattern that simply works. Comes in Regular or Leafy. Just don't be deceived by how it looks to your eyes on the retailers display rack. It's far from pretty but it has been tried and proven in Alberta since 2001.

I’ve been looking high and low for the new Asat gear in Canada with very little luck. I’ve read that the fit of the older line kind of sucks for tall skinny guys like me. Sitka optifade can be almost invisible up above the tree line but I’ve been busted many a time in the bush with it.

The closest I’ve ever been to getting stepped on by an elk was while wearing Canadian surplus digital green fleece in early September. That cow looked right through me. Same with good snow camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Don’t need camo just a mullet the deer will be dazzled by your trendy hairdo. You may even encounter aggressive cougars and younger pumas.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
I’ve been looking high and low for the new Asat gear in Canada with very little luck. I’ve read that the fit of the older line kind of sucks for tall skinny guys like me. Sitka optifade can be almost invisible up above the tree line but I’ve been busted many a time in the bush with it.

The closest I’ve ever been to getting stepped on by an elk was while wearing Canadian surplus digital green fleece in early September. That cow looked right through me. Same with good snow camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try Amazon.ca . I beleive they have current stock