Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 PM

Default Best Hand Auger

Starting to think about ice season, haven't ice fished for at least 20 yrs. What is a good hand auger, thinking of buying used, am good at sharpening stuff so not put off by hard to sharpen or get blades for. If I can't find a cheap used I'll have to go for new, no power stuff. Thanks!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Banned

the one with an engine that has a pull cord I yank with my right HAND.....
Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 PM

The Normark "Swede Bore" hand augers are wicked sharp, and cut good ice.

They are about $80 regular price, but they last forever. Blades can be swapped out easily, and they are available at most retailers which carry ice fishing gear.

Or, you could look for a used one, and buy new blades. It should cut ice just like a brand new in the box hand auger.

If you are fishing pike, they may not be your best option; too small of a diameter, and difficult to punch more than 10 holes in 24+ inches of ice in one day. Something to consider!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
The Normark "Swede Bore" hand augers are wicked sharp, and cut good ice.

They are about $80 regular price, but they last forever. Blades can be swapped out easily, and they are available at most retailers which carry ice fishing gear.

Or, you could look for a used one, and buy new blades. It should cut ice just like a brand new in the box hand auger.

If you are fishing pike, they may not be your best option; too small of a diameter, and difficult to punch more than 10 holes in 24+ inches of ice in one day. Something to consider!

I used to have a hand one although a cheap one but I took the fun of out of fishing or me, early and late in the year they were ok but when u find 2 feet plus of ice u never end up moving or never set up the cameras or tip ups. If you buy a used one not sure where your located but I found a life time supply of blades in the cabelas bargin cave. 50 percent off blades last times was in there and they had a bunch. Check garage sales or kijiji you can grab some for 5 bucks for the auger then U just need good blades.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM

Bought this Eskimo hand auger brand new for 40 bucks, adapter for a drill 10 bucks. 18v dewalt drill will make 3- 2 ft holes on one battery.( with a newer battery) Cuts as fast as a lot of gas augers. I've got 6 batteries that I keep in the truck and last all day perch fishing. It's a no brainier for me as I use power tools at work and their always around.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 AM

I like the Normark Fin-Bore...the one with the curved blades. I've got an 8" one that I use during the early season for pike and it does the job just fine.

The big thing I like about this auger is that it has the offset handles as opposed to the bit and brace style, so you can get both arms working at turning the auger instead of just one

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 AM

I'm a big fan of strikemaster lazers. Plus if you're like me and occasionally snowshoe into places, you can get a light composite one instead of metal.

also, unless you fish for massive pike or lakers, a 6" hand auger will save you a lot of effort. You can still fit a very big fish through that size hole.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Most of them are pretty decent, such a simple unit pretty hard to screw it up lol. Buy new blades though for what ever you get and protect them!!! Thats where youll notice the big difference, remember sharp blades, sharp blades, sharp blades!!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klagore View Post
Bought this Eskimo hand auger brand new for 40 bucks, adapter for a drill 10 bucks. 18v dewalt drill will make 3- 2 ft holes on one battery.( with a newer battery) Cuts as fast as a lot of gas augers. I've got 6 batteries that I keep in the truck and last all day perch fishing. It's a no brainier for me as I use power tools at work and their always around.
I'm in construction and I use my makita, I get about 5 2' holes out of a battery. It's much lighter and quieter than my gas auger. If you already have a good drill and extra batteries its the way to go! Another downside is your limited to a smaller diameter hole if you want to get a couple extra holes out of your battery.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 AM

Save your money and buy a power auger off the start! (upselling)

I have an electric and a gas. (Ion and a Jiffy 30/like new tehcumseh/sp)

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Save your money and buy a power auger off the start! (upselling)

I have an electric and a gas. (Ion and a Jiffy 30/like new tehcumseh/sp)
I'm evolving, kinka like guys going back to the bow, then the recurve and then the long bow. My objective is to end up chopping holes in the ice with an axe, but I don't want to jump into that, so it's one step at a time, the hand auger is just one step.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-22-2013, 12:47 PM

I use A Strikemaster gas auger but I also carry a Strikemaster hand auger just in case something were to happen to the power auger, at least I'd still be able to drill a few holes. I like the Strikemasters but I'm sure there are others that are just fine too.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm evolving, kinka like guys going back to the bow, then the recurve and then the long bow. My objective is to end up chopping holes in the ice with an axe, but I don't want to jump into that, so it's one step at a time, the hand auger is just one step.
lol

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:57 PM

i like my hatchet.... for early and late season.... other than that id never go with out a gas auger... hand drilling through 2+ft sucks not to mention ive bent a swede bore hand auger out at pcr and had to drive back to calgary with out even fishing!!!

power auger ftw!!!

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
the one with an engine that has a pull cord I yank with my right HAND.....
x 200 ... Used to have an 8" hand auger and the best thing that ever happened to me was that some one stole it out of the back of my truck ! sucks to be them . Got me a power auger and life is good .
Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 PM

If anyone is interested I found a good deal on what is supposed to be the best. Be aware that parts might be tough to come by in Canada. It is designed so that it can be used with a drill as well, if you are so inclined. Not sure how many they have left.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ505832582

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM

you had better hope you have alot of batteries or a corded drill... honestly your best bet is power auger!

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
you had better hope you have alot of batteries or a corded drill... honestly your best bet is power auger!
I personally don't plan on using a drill, just hand.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
Like I said dewalt 18 v drill- 3 2 ft holes 10 inch diameter with one battery 1yr old not bad... With 2 or 3 batteries how many holes do you need to find fish
Obviously gas is dominant but it's funny, I raced a gas auger and won. lots of torque on those puppies.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 PM

hey hey hey folks we have 6 bloody months of winter do we really gotta talk ice fishing its not even September yet . All kidding aside but come onnnn .
Old 08-22-2013, 08:30 PM

I'm getting excited already can't help it. mornings are getting chilly
Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 PM

I agree with kLagore. Cordless drill is the way to go. Way lighter than a gas auger and faster too !! If you have to do a lot of walking cordless is the best option. He beat my gas auger hands down with his drill Can't wait to get them perch man see ya out there.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I like the Normark Fin-Bore...the one with the curved blades. I've got an 8" one that I use during the early season for pike and it does the job just fine.

The big thing I like about this auger is that it has the offset handles as opposed to the bit and brace style, so you can get both arms working at turning the auger instead of just one
X2 and as an added bonus they fit on most power auger shafts as well so if you do decide to "get modern" one day, you'll have a spare!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
\ What is a good hand auger, If I can't find a cheap used I'll have to go for new, no power stuff. Thanks!!

The ultimate ice hole maker is not an auger at all. It beats the heck out of any store bought hand auger. I would bet big money on it.
I have used an ice chisel for the past 30 years. It has a 20 lb. bar with a good blade cut from a grader blade. Beaver trappers swear by them too.

You can make a hole any size, round or square. You can make your hole for wide angle viewing by chiseling the sides of the hole on an angle. note: any hole bigger than 10 inches must be marked for other peoples safety.

The beauty of a ice chisel is that rarely gets dull and never needs repair.

I can go through 2 or 3 feet of hard ice quicker than any hand auger. I have an orange strap on it to strap onto my wrist so I don't drop it down the hole.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...psfc14c337.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5720c914.jpg
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 AM

The blue one...8 in
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The ultimate ice hole maker is not an auger at all. It beats the heck out of any store bought hand auger. I would bet big money on it.
I have used an ice chisel for the past 30 years. It has a 20 lb. bar with a good blade cut from a grader blade. Beaver trappers swear by them too.

You can make a hole any size, round or square. You can make your hole for wide angle viewing by chiseling the sides of the hole on an angle. note: any hole bigger than 10 inches must be marked for other peoples safety.

I can go through 2 or 3 feet of hard ice quicker than any hand auger. I have an orange strap on it to strap onto my wrist so I don't drop it down the hole.

I had an ice bar, three sides instead of four like most, that thing cut like crazy as well, but I found I was played out after a few holes with it. Cutting with a hand auger won't be a picnic either but if I remember correctly was easier than the bar.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 AM

Default RE

Best to invest into an propane or Gas auger. Specially when your drilling through foot of ice.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

really eh? might have to look into that as a backup or for when I snowshoe in!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-23-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I had an ice bar, three sides instead of four like most, that thing cut like crazy as well, but I found I was played out after a few holes with it. Cutting with a hand auger won't be a picnic either but if I remember correctly was easier than the bar.

I find the bar easier. The chisel bars weight does most of the work once you get the knack for it, though I do agree that a person can't make too many holes in a day.

Luckily I usually only need one hole to catch fish.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
really eh? might have to look into that as a backup or for when I snowshoe in!
In my opinion, you won't beat it for back up or for full time use.
Any good welder can make one pretty easy and cheap. I had said mine was made form a grader blade. I meant a planer blade.

Jiffy augers makes 3 chisel models too. I have tried a store bought jiffy but find mine with the angled blade is easier.

The only thing packing it any long distance is the weight. Alot of times I will put my gear in a 5 gallon pail, and use the chisel over my shoulder to carry the pail. Fairly compact that way. It is also useful as a weight for holding down a tent on windy days. If you are pulling a sled , no problem.