Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Prince Rupert trip

It's been a while since we got back from our Prince Rupert trip, and I finally got everything organized enough to post a trip report.

So here's the whole story. The short form LOL.

Last fall my kid brother and my BIL bought sister boats off a fellow in Peace River who used to run a fishing charter out of Kitimat.
The my brother bought the Codfather, a 25' cabin cruiser made by Zeta

My brother-in-law bought the Codfather 2, what can I say, the former owner is a maritimer. The Codfather 2 is a Bayline boat. The two boats are the same size and power. Both have Volvo Penta duprop drives and 350 GM powerplants. Both have Radar, GPS and Sonar.

They were told that brothers boat needed a motor plus some minor repairs and my BIL Wayne's boat only needed, new injectors a few minor repairs and a tune up.

To make a long story shorter, nothing was done until last month. Turns out both boats needed a lot more then we were led to believe. But we got them both running properly, and most of the minor stuff repaired.

All that remained was sea trials. Brother Ken opted to spend a day at the coast doing sea trials while Wayne headed to Lac Cardinal to give his boat a test run.
That's when things started to go south. The hitch pin on Wayne's trailer hitch came out, we are not sure why. The upshot was he ditched the boat and tore a hole in the hull.

Since we brothers had planned on fishing together in Ken's boat, this didn't effect out trip, yet. So we headed west. Ken left two days ahead of us, to do sea trials and to spend a day checking out fishing spots he knew.

So we made it to Prince George the first day where we planned to spend the night with a different BIL and our kid sister. Perhaps at this point I should make it clear that I come from a large family. Presently I have nine BILs, and two brothers. There were more of us at one time. It can all get rather confusing, but not to worry, the characters of this little drama don't matter as much as the events.

So we get to Prince George where we are told that Ken has had problems and is on his way back. We are to wait in Prince George for him.
Late that evening he arrives and the news is not good. The props were rubbing against the lower gear box and had destroyed the seal and bearing housing. It seems someone had failed to replace a couple of critical parts, thrust washers, some time befor my brother bought the boat.

Change of plans. We would now wait for Wayne, and go fishing with him. But, first Wayne had to get his boat repaired and then we would have to alternate. There were six of us and the boat could only accommodate three fisherman at best.
An awkward alternative, but workable.

We wound up spending five days in Prince George, visiting, going to yard sales with my sister, seeing the sights and helping rebuild my sisters kitchen.

Naturally I took the opportunity to do a bit of photography as well.
I didn't find a lot of interesting subjects, but I did find a few,

Like this Toad.

Then there were the faces carved into tree bark at a local park.
This is one of several I found.

Naturally there was some wildlife, my favourite subject. But not a lot.

I saw a few bears, like this one.

A few birds. Like this Violet Green Swallow, the BC version of our Tree Swallow.

And lots and lots of wild flowers. This is only one of the many species that are common there but do not appear here.
This is a Wild Tiger Lily.

Finally on Sunday Wayne called to say he had the boat repaired and in the water at Prince Rupert, so we headed for the coast.

A few miles west of Prince George we ran into rain, and it rained every hour of every day from then till we crossed back into Alberta.

Because of all the rain and the resulting poor lighting, I didn't get many photos on the rest of the trip. I'll share some of the best, mostly to show what we experienced.

A typical view of the mountains, on this trip.

The fishing fleet at Port Edward.

A Crabber at Cow Bay in Prince Rupert.

Crab pots stacked beside a processing plant at Cow Bay.

Last edited by KegRiver; 07-20-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: missed something
Old 07-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Prince Rupert trip continued

Harbor Seal in Cow Bay, Momma and the kid.

There were Eagles everywhere!

How many Eagles do you see ?

Black Tail Deer.

A Float Plane heading out into the bay to take off.

Enough sightseeing. Time to go fishing.

Brothers launching Wayne's boat.

Tending Crab Traps.

A days crab catch. We averaged between 10 and 20 a day from four traps.

We also had two prawn traps out. This is the result of setting the traps a bit too deep.

This was the days catch.

A close up.

And we caught a few fish too. Despite the nasty weather.

And crab bait.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:14 AM

Great pictures Keg, sounds like quite the adventure!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Gone Hunting

We did catch other fish, one Halibut, about a ten pound fish. A couple of Stary Sole, and some sort of Cod.

In the end we only got to spend two days out fishing. Due to circumstances, weather ext. we couldn't go far and in the area we were fishing no one was catching much.

Still we had a great time. It was all very interesting and I did have a lot of fun catching Rock Fish, what we caught most off.

And the scenery was stunning!

And the clouds did lift a wee bit from time to time.

At the end of the day, it didn't matter so much what we caught, it all tasted GREAT!

Last edited by KegRiver; 07-20-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Great pictures Keg, sounds like quite the adventure!
LOL It was, more so for what didn't go as planned. All and all, it was a trip of a lifetime. One I will cherish for the rest of my life.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
WOW, really neat to see the Ratfish amongst your catch.

Great pictures as always Keg, thanks for posting.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
WOW, really neat to see the Ratfish amongst your catch.

Great pictures as always Keg, thanks for posting.
It seems Ratfish are not well thought of. The boat rule was, first one to catch a Ratfish had to buy supper. I wasn't the first that day.
That honor ? went to the boat's owner, Wayne.

I wish I had been able to photograph all the fish we caught, but wind and waves conspired against me.

In all, I believe we caught 11 different species. Some were too small to keep, some were not good eating so were returned to the water, unharmed.
A couple were good only for crab bait, and five species were targeted species.

I even caught a starfish and a Sea Anemone. Well I sort of caught the Anemone. It was attached to bit of refuse I pulled up.

For me, the most exciting part was seeing all the weird and Wonderful Sea creatures.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:17 AM

Default awesome pics

30 years ago my uncle used to live in prince rupert when i visited him we used to go to port edward and crab fish off the dock not sure how it is now but was great times than txs for bringing back some old memories.............later
Old 07-21-2012, 12:59 PM

Default Welcome to your personal demon!!!!

Sooner or later, we all meet our personal demon.
I met mine in 1996. First trip to Gold River. Moutcha Bay was gravel pit then, run by an alcoholic, and in a horrible state of repair. Dust all week from the Tahsis road above the camping area. Equipment breakdowns left right and center. Coupe de Tat was a massive downpour at 4 in the morning, and waking up in wet sleeping bags will all the tent and gear soaked.

I turned to my brother and mentioned that I have a personal demon and he is busting a gut laughing. My brother looked across the rain soaked tent, from his wet sleeping bag and asked me why. I responded that my demon knows that I still will get up and put on wet clothes and go in a wet boat to go fishing.

My brother was silent for a minute and said "well we might as well go fishing then".

Just grin and know who is scr#wing with you.

Drewski