Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 PM

Default Frazer River Sturgeon Fishing

Had the opportunity to run into BC and try our luck at the great white sturgeon the Frazer is known for.. Little did we know, our first morning out would be an experience of a lifetime...

It was may be 15 to 20 minutes into the day and we see a rod slowly bending, double hook set and the adventure and fight of our lives began... Jason was first up, he man handled this beast for near 2 1/2 hours before handing the rod over to myself.. I put in the same shift and let me tell you I never expected the power these fish had..

Now, about five hours into the fight, guide is saying this fish should be over 8 feet and keep gaining on it boys.. Up river, down river and any direction this fish felt like going we went... It was after 6 hours of fight that we finally seen her crest and the pressure was on, monster double digits and not giving up..

We all were amazed when she crested about 35 feet out, something we all will never forget... It took near 7 1/2 hours to bring this girl to shore for a once in a lifetime photo shoot and two very happy flat landers

In two days we managed to land a 8' 4", 7' 6", 7' 4", 7" 2" and many below the 7 foot mark.. Unreal experience and trip of a lifetime..

Here is our prize fighting white sturgeon from the Frazer. We filmed our entire trip, so hope to share this with the public as words just can't describe this adventure..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (32.4 KB, 484 views)
File Type: jpg image-1.jpg (36.3 KB, 454 views)
Old 08-07-2013, 05:35 PM

Simply awesome!!! big congrats, on my bucket list, going to have to bump it up LOL!! that's a long fight LOL. luv the pics, smiles say it all
Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 PM

let the opportunity to do go by once, never again ... great fish...a tad bigger than the ones in Edmonton
Old 08-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Wow. That is awesome! I don't think it gets much better than that.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 PM

Unreal fish boys congrats!! what kind of bait?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Awesome sturgeon guys!

Did you guys go with a guiding outfit? The reason I ask is Im headed out there in a few weeks and im still undecided on a guide..there's so many to choose from.

Feel free to reply or PM.

Again, amazing fish. I can't wait for my trip out there at the end of august.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Congradulations!....Awesome adventure!!! I thought that was you with my cousin in the picture,but I was'nt 100% sure. Was that the 11 footer?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:04 PM

I couldn't have described it better man! Pretty awesome trip we had .
Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 PM

That's an amazing fish! Definitely have White Sturgeon on my bucket list! I'll second Buckbrushoutdoors on what kind of bait you used?!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 PM

wow that is an amazing fish!!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Banned

Congrats on some great fish! Kinda wrecks a guy tho. Now it's about the only fishing trip I get excited for anymore.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
That's an amazing fish! Definitely have White Sturgeon on my bucket list! I'll second Buckbrushoutdoors on what kind of bait you used?!
Maggots.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 PM

Pure AWESOME!!! We're leaving on the 17th to chilliwhack to do the same with my wife and son. Your pics and story make me just so excited there's a hint of nervousness lol GREAT JOB!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Maggots.
HaH! Funny stuff!

Congrats fellas, just purrrrrrre awesome indeed!
Thx for sharing

Last edited by Fishfinder; 08-07-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Cuz
Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 AM

Sledhead71- that's a nice looking Fraser River sturgeon.

1bluZebec- good luck on your trip, out of Chilliwack.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Those big fish should never take more then an hour to get in. I brought in a a 7 foot 5 in 20 minutes. Have to lay the boots to them....
Old 08-08-2013, 04:12 PM

Congrats man!! They are friggen awesome fish
Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 PM

Just pure awesomeness!!!

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 08-08-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Those big fish should never take more then an hour to get in. I brought in a a 7 foot 5 in 20 minutes. Have to lay the boots to them....
Really? Thats impressive your a god like specimen.

Any how awsome fish boys, as with everyone else definatly on my bucket list!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Dude , as noted we caught 3 that were 7 plus feet and one 8'6 (second biggest) .......a fish of this size , length with a 50 inch girth doesn't compare to 7 footer ....not even close . If 7 feet is your biggest than you don't know the power these big fish have until you catch one . And I hope you do one day , fish of a lifetime ... Good luck

Last edited by Drop_Tine; 08-08-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:01 PM

A dream of mine is to get a group together and head to Fraser river sturgeon fishing.
Congrats guys on a fish of a lifetime
Old 08-08-2013, 11:19 PM

very nice
Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 PM

Oh my god! That's insane! Congratulations guys
Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 PM

Wow, amazing pictures! Congrats!
I'm Karlynn, author/creator of The Kitchen Magpie, proud Canadian girl, mama & wife, creator of simple, family friendly food/recipes & lover of all things outdoors. Fishing fanatic. Writer of many stories, photographer of everything.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:53 AM

Right on if a guy can crack 120 inches then you have a fish of a lifetime....
Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 AM

First I would like to say congrats on the fish but Safety D is correct, 5 hours to land a 8'4 inch sturgeon is much too long, about 4 hours too long. The only reason it would take 5 hours to land an 8ft sturgeon is that it was fouled hooked. I have landed hundreds if not thousands of fish this size and have fished sturgeon for over 30 years , 22 of them guiding. I am not trying to start anything but I just don't want people thinking that this would be acceptable in any way. Most larger sturgeon in 8ft- 9 ft range should be landed in 1 hour, it sometime feels like 5 hours but no way should it take that long. Not only is it hard on the angler but very hard on the fish.

Last edited by Vic Carrao; 08-09-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Carrao View Post
First I would like to say congrats on the fish but Safety D is correct, 5 hours to land a 8'4 inch sturgeon is much too long, about 4 hours too long. The only reason it would take 5 hours to land an 8ft sturgeon is that it was fouled hooked or very inexperienced guide. I have landed hundreds if not thousands of fish this size and have fished sturgeon for over 30 years , 22 of them guiding. I am not trying to start anything but I just don't want people thinking that this would be acceptable in any way. Most larger sturgeon in 8ft- 9 ft range should be landed in 1 hour, it sometime feels like 5 hours but no way should it take that long.
What would you know about sturgeon fishing??? Your too busy playing in the canyon!

Just Kidding, how's it going Vic? I'm itchin to get back out there with you, Hunter's chomping at the bit too, we just have to wait until little brother is big enough. We're training him young tho, had him out on the water for some full day trips this summer, he should be good to go for next season. I still might be able to sneak away for a couple days yet later this fall if your not all booked up!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Carrao View Post
First I would like to say congrats on the fish but Safety D is correct, 5 hours to land a 8'4 inch sturgeon is much too long, about 4 hours too long. The only reason it would take 5 hours to land an 8ft sturgeon is that it was fouled hooked. I have landed hundreds if not thousands of fish this size and have fished sturgeon for over 30 years , 22 of them guiding. I am not trying to start anything but I just don't want people thinking that this would be acceptable in any way. Most larger sturgeon in 8ft- 9 ft range should be landed in 1 hour, it sometime feels like 5 hours but no way should it take that long. Not only is it hard on the angler but very hard on the fish.
We have been lucky to pick vic and his team of guides for a sturgeon fishing adventure and it was great, he knows what he is talking about and we landed fish of that size and it never took near that long that amount of time is way to hard on the fish
Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Hey Kurt, those kids must be getting big, say hi to the wife and kids for me.

not to carry on but I think it might be useful to provide a copy of the Sturgeon Best handling Practices for everyone who is planning on fishing for sturgeon. This document was put together by fisheries and guides to help reduce impact on sturgeon and keep this fishery open for sportfishing.

Releasing White Sturgeon The Gentle Way

The majority of white sturgeon populations in British Columbia are listed under the federal Species at Risk Act and are not open to angling. Since populations in the Lower and Middle Fraser River are relatively healthy, they are able to support exciting world class fisheries. However, these populations are still vulnerable to impacts from angling, habitat destruction, pollution and salmon net fisheries, and they are still provincially and nationally designated as endangered. In addition to being endangered, white sturgeon mature after 17 to 20 years and can live for more than 100 years, so impacts or injuries can be long lasting. As such, all sturgeon angling in the province is catch and release only, and will be more strictly managed in the future.

Indications are that catch and release sturgeon angling can be a low impact activity. However, to minimize harm to fish, extra care and attention must be taken to ensure their health and survival, and to maintain the treasured fishery. Anglers must abide by the following capture and handling practices.

1. Angling tackle should be heavy enough to handle these potential large fish. Use heavy rods and reels, and at least 100 lb. manufacture rated test line. Play and release fish as rapidly as possible. A fish played for too long may not recover.

2. Only barbless hooks are permitted while sturgeon angling. Well embedded hooks can be removed with long needle-nose pliers, or a hook remover. Grab the bend of the hook and twist, and the hook will dislodge. Be quick, but gentle. A fish that is deeply hooked, hooked on or near the gills, or bleeding profusely has a much lower chance of survival once released. You can improve its chances by cutting the leader and releasing the fish with the hook left in. The line will rot and the hook will eventually drop out.

3. Leave the fish in the water wherever possible.
A fish suffocates when it’s out of the water, and is at risk of internal injuries due to its own weight, especially if it is large (greater than 1.5 m in length). Ropes, tailers, nooses or any other device are not used on any part of any fish to hold or land the fish.

4. Land larger fish in shallow water near the shore.
Do not drag any fish out of the water onto the shore. Do not land a large fish at the boat and then tow it by the tail to shore. Towing a fish to shore is very damaging to the fish and can lessen its’ chances of survival or even kill it. If you land a large fish at the boat, then release it at the boat. Smaller fish can be landed on the boat by lifting and cradling it with gloved hands underneath and behind the front fins and just forward of the tail. It should be placed into a wetted sling. A fish should never be pulled into a boat by using a rope or by its’ gill plates. mouth, or pectoral fins. Use as many people to cradle the fish as is necessary to not hurt it.

5. If you handle a fish, then do so with care.
Keep your fingers away from the gills and out of the gill plates, and don’t squeeze of hug it. If you want photographs then leave larger fish in the water, smaller fish should be cradled. Have your camera ready and be quick so the fish is only briefly disturbed. Take the time to hold the fish in the water to recover. Point the fish upstream into the current while reviving it, and when the fish begins to struggle and swim normally, let it go.

Take Care and be gentle
to help maintain this amazing fishery & allow these gentle giants of the Fraser to live another day.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:25 AM

Hi Guys, I just spoke with the guide who did this trip and he clarified that the fish was 10ft 3inches not 8ft 4 inches, although that is still too long for any size sturgeon it makes a bit more sense when you have 2 anglers who are not experienced.

Some of you might wonder why this is such a big deal but it is as fish handling is a major issue right now in our region and if we want to continue to fish for sturgeon on the Fraser, anglers and guides must use do diligence in handling and reducing playing time of sturgeon.

Hope you all get to experience this great fishery and congrats again on the large catch of a lifetime.