Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Banned

Default So why doesn't Mulroney pay Canada back?

So Dufster and the Whallin gotta pay the dough back for poor tax filing choices, I get that. But, why not make old Mulroney cough up that bit of dough he sued Canadians for? He claimed defamation of character based on unfounded info, which then turned out to be founded?

This I don't get.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
So Dufster and the Whallin gotta pay the dough back for poor tax filing choices, I get that. But, why not make old Mulroney cough up that bit of dough he sued Canadians for? He claimed defamation of character based on unfounded info, which then turned out to be founded?

This I don't get.
on a related note, check to see how much the Libs have paid back over ad scam.....the system is broke, with no accountability.....
Old 08-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
on a related note, check to see how much the Libs have paid back over ad scam.....the system is broke, with no accountability.....
collect it all I say,, maybe Badger could pull up the list. We know that a lot of transfer funds or equalisation goes to Quebec, but, not a peep on how much ended up in private hands due the corruption there.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Banned

To those in the fishing forums, Hal and I are talking secret talk for discussing where large Walleye hang out.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 PM

Hey Gust, the thread about pot in in general section
Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Hey Gust, the thread about pot in in general section
I always suspected you had a stutter.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM

N-n-n-nope..... just a stuck key.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:45 PM

And AFAIC, all the SOB's should pay back ill gotten gains!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
And AFAIC, all the SOB's should pay back ill gotten gains!
I think Badger or someone has the list of ill-gotten gains. Mulroney's tax advisor before, during and after his whoopsy-daisy with Schreiber was the head bureaucrat at Rev Can, and Mulroney was made privy to a provision that he didn't have to declare the bribe for up to ten years, should he have chosen to declare it. The provision was removed after it was made apparent during the Oliphant inquiry.

Did anyone watch it? There was that day when the double double sized blimp Oliphant was late because someone pulled the fire alarm in his condo and he had to exit the building via 18 storeys of stairs. Oh Mulroney, what a prankster.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:38 AM

Its disgusting. The media is all after small time perk intoxicated ex journalists duffy and wallin and a real crook gets away with costing millions on top of what he took. I read a fawning artical about mulroney recently i forget where all about his continuing influence behind the scenes and his charisma and freinds in high places iwas thinking what is this irrelevant crap did mulroney commission this article?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
In all fairness a lot of senators are expressing the same thoughts the rest of us are having...reform of the senate or just killing it.

One did bring upa good point about all of this.
A silver lining so to speak.

This scandel has brought the senate foreward and into the minds of people.
Now that everyoine is actually interested in what the senate does..and what ot is supposed to do... change should be on the way.

On a side note what kills me about the Wallin thing isn't the 120 Thousand that she must pay back... its the hundreds of thousands more that she doesn't.
How does a senator manage to rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in legitimate travel expences?

I can't wait until this all plays out...right to the bitter end.
Audit every last one of em.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:44 AM

They should also be made to pay for the audit once inappropriate expenses are found. The only way to fix the system is to make it too expensive to consider fraud. As it is they just have to repay what they stole with little to no penalties attached. It seems to be worth the risk.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
They should also be made to pay for the audit once inappropriate expenses are found. The only way to fix the system is to make it too expensive to consider fraud. As it is they just have to repay what they stole with little to no penalties attached. It seems to be worth the risk.
Well there goes another 80 thou...just for hers as I understand it.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 PM

Default Actually

Quote:

This I don't get.
Not to defend what he did do, but "facts check" in order. The defamation suit was due to completely false public accusations of corruption relating to improper infuence of government officials, secret foreign accounts, etc. The accusations were politically ill-motivated (Chretien) and just completely lacking in any substance. If that sort of thing was inflicted on me (you?) would you not feel entitled to recompense? I am glad that he took them on and made them swallow their lies. All he got was reimbursement of actual legal costs and public apology - he could have sought much more. Nothing "in his pocket". If any reimbursement were due to the public purse, it would appropriately come from Chretien, Liberano Party, and other ill-motivated officials who went on a political witch hunt.
The Schreiber affair was money received from Schreiber (not the public) for unrelated "lobbying" relative to DND purchase matters. It was wrong, maybe even "corrupt", but it cost the public nothing (directly), particularly since it produced no consequent benefit to anyone else, and no purchases.
The Senators in question (Duffy, Wallin, Harb, etc.), allegedly or actually, directly and arrogantly ripped off the public purse. And one suspects they are not alone, unfortunately. It will be surprising if the audits now proceeding don't turn up more "Honourable ..." offenders. Ottawaiasis appears to be a very powerful affliction (?) which corrupts at a surprising level. The whole thing is a major cultural problem which just feeds justifiable cynicism of our whole system of government - that is way sadder than the $ involved (?).
Old 08-16-2013, 06:55 PM

Default Actually

Quote:

This I don't get.
Not to defend what he did do, but "facts check" in order. The defamation suit was due to completely false public accusations of corruption relating to improper infuence of government officials, secret foreign accounts, etc. The accusations were politically ill-motivated (Chretien) and just completely lacking in any substance. If that sort of thing was inflicted on me (you?) would you not feel entitled to recompense? I am glad that he took them on and made them swallow their lies. All he got was reimbursement of actual legal costs and public apology - he could have sought much more. Nothing "in his pocket". If any reimbursement were due to the public purse, it would appropriately come from Chretien, Liberano Party, and other ill-motivated officials who went on a political witch hunt.
The Schreiber affair was money received from Schreiber (not the public) for unrelated "lobbying" relative to DND purchase matters. It was wrong, maybe even "corrupt", but it cost the public nothing (directly), particularly since it produced no consequent benefit to anyone else, and no purchases.
The Senators in question (Duffy, Wallin, Harb, etc.), allegedly or actually, directly and arrogantly ripped off the public purse. And one suspects they are not alone, unfortunately. It will be surprising if the audits now proceeding don't turn up more "Honourable ..." offenders. Ottawaiasis appears to be a very powerful affliction (?) which corrupts at a surprising level. The whole thing is a major cultural problem which just feeds justifiable cynicism of our whole system of government - that is way sadder than the $ involved (?).
Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
Not to defend what he did do, but "facts check" in order. The defamation suit was due to completely false public accusations of corruption relating to improper infuence of government officials, secret foreign accounts, etc..
The accusations were correct, he did have a secret account in NY, and he was being influenced as I'm sure others were. AND, it has been concluded that he should pay the money back.

He is a scumbag through and true. Just like Chretien and many others.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
Ottawaiasis appears to be a very powerful affliction (?) which corrupts at a surprising level. The whole thing is a major cultural problem which just feeds justifiable cynicism of our whole system of government - that is way sadder than the $ involved (?).
And, I completely agree with this assessment.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=
The Senators in question (Duffy, Wallin, Harb, etc.), allegedly or actually, directly and arrogantly ripped off the public purse. .[/QUOTE]

kickbacks cost way more and are far more serious than what duffy and wallin did. if airbus or thyson spent a few hundred thou to influence contracts worth multi millions we dont know how many millions this would cost us or if we are buying the right product. to let mulroney off the hook because he didnt deliver for schreiber is wrong he took the money in cash secretly for a reason. kickbacks represent multiples of wasted money not accountable amounts like wallin and duffy and they are a swindle on another level of dishonesty and contempt
Old 08-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Banned

Have we had any political leaders that weren't scumbags by the time they retired?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Banned

Default How about after Chretian Pays back tax payers ...

for the sale of his golf course in Shawinigan.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:29 AM

How about they all pay back what they owe regardless of political stripes they carry. This shouldn't be partisan it should be about getting our money back. I know the CRA won't give two craps who you or me support if we owed, they would just get it whichever way they saw fit.