Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 10:58 PM

Default a question that bothered me so much

why no lake close to the city stock perch? does perch has more survival rate than trout? and more fun for kids to catch?

Teach me!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 PM

There are enough illegally stocked perch by the bucket brigade that they don't have to stock them. Stocking perch in small lakes without natural predation leads to stunted perch. No good. Trout on the other hand grow to enormous sizes if able to overwinter in small pothole lakes.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 PM

perch breed like mice . Look up threads on Lake Sundance in Calgary .
Old 08-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Gone Fishing

So how does one get a hold of this bucket brigade and get them to stock Hastings?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
So how does one get a hold of this bucket brigade and get them to stock Hastings?
I hope you are joking.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhh

Don't need hundreds of people fishing off my dock and burning our fire wood and leaving a mess. 15 years ago I almost cut the legs off my dock with the chain saw and a person at the end of the dock. No respect for other peoples property. Don't need fish hooks in the swimming area. ETC....

You going to be around on the weekend Rumtan. If so come on out and have a beer. I'm gonna be there Sat morning and stay overnight. PM me for directions.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Default RE

If you want to fish for some perch. Come out to Vegreville Pond, East hwy 16 from edmonton. Got about 3 km's east on hwy 16 from Vegreville town turn off. You will see a Atco power Station. Just follow the gravel road to you can't mis the pond.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e40water12 View Post
If you want to fish for some perch. Come out to Vegreville Pond, East hwy 16 from edmonton. Got about 3 km's east on hwy 16 from Vegreville town turn off. You will see a Atco power Station. Just follow the gravel road to you can't mis the pond.
I know this place and planed to go, but I also heard that there are all very littel perch in that pond..
Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES View Post
perch breed like mice . Look up threads on Lake Sundance in Calgary .
Isn't that a good thing for them to breed quickly? This means the F&W don't have to stock them often and save more money for something better? just stock several pond close to the city and let the kids have fun continueously.

On the other hand, the trount cannot pass the winter at most of the ponds close to the city. isn't that a waist of money to re-stock them again and again each year?
Old 08-23-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhh

Don't need hundreds of people fishing off my dock and burning our fire wood and leaving a mess. 15 years ago I almost cut the legs off my dock with the chain saw and a person at the end of the dock. No respect for other peoples property. Don't need fish hooks in the swimming area. ETC....

You going to be around on the weekend Rumtan. If so come on out and have a beer. I'm gonna be there Sat morning and stay overnight. PM me for directions.
you do understand that if you dont have a dock lease, you cant tell people to get off you dock, it sits on public domain. same for your beach, high water mark rules come into play there.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Post 2 pretty much says it.

And you can control that biomass by what you put in. Say 3000 trout versus 3000000 perch. Only so much food in the small lake/reservoir
If fish are prone to summer or winter kill stocking will continue the following year anyway. That is why many of these water bodies are put and take.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-23-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
Isn't that a good thing for them to breed quickly? This means the F&W don't have to stock them often and save more money for something better? just stock several pond close to the city and let the kids have fun continueously.

On the other hand, the trount cannot pass the winter at most of the ponds close to the city. isn't that a waist of money to re-stock them again and again each year?
No its not good . They breed faster then there caught and eaten . There gets to be so many they will wreck a body of water and kill everything , causing it to stunt , and lack of food etc . Its not good . You want perch go pick up some size 10 hooks a bobber and some maggots go sit at one of these trout lakes that have perch in em . Make sure you can keep them legally .
Old 08-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
I know this place and planed to go, but I also heard that there are all very littel perch in that pond..
and thats all they are going to be in any trout pond... you will have stunted perch too small to keep, and trout unable to grow during their short life.(from what ive seen). you want big perch, go to a lake that has a healthy food chain...thats where i catch the biggest ones. the bucket brigade mentality is very destructive to native fish, which i appreciate catching way more! it doesn't matter if it is a isolated body of water, there is always the potential,to spread, and makes it that much easier for A-holes to illegally introduce to other bodies of water and potentially cause permanent damage to a healthy fishery. Perch,Carp and Trout are in alot of places they shouldn't be...pretty sad that what was there for us is never good enough...

Dont get me wrong there is alot of great fisheries with introduced fish, but there has to be a line somewhere...