Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM

Default Question of interpretation.

Thanks guys, for all your input into my previous post regarding "attracting fish to a particular area." This is a great forum not only to share info, but also to be made aware of more detailed aspects of the law that are sometimes difficult to spot. I'm not on here to create controversy or get arguments going, but, I do have another question of interpretation that maybe some of you can shed some "light" on!

There are definitely obvious regulations regarding the use of illuminating devices to attract fish. In the situation of Bowfishing however, would you interpret it illegal to use a laser as an aiming device? Laser sights are available for archery applications and do penetrate water.

This question is not meant to get sidetracked into whether Bowfishing is ethical, to be considered a worthy sport...and so on, and so on, [as happened with another post about Bowfishing]. The question specifically surrounds the use of a laser for legal Bowfishing for legal species.

Last edited by Artist; 03-31-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Update info
Old 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM

Personally I would say you fine. Just turn it off when the fish cops come. Haha. Really though o would say your ok there as long as you not activiy trying to lure fish within range with the laser light. And only have it on when necessary for aiming
Old 03-31-2010, 03:43 PM

I have the same question about the light on my Marcum. The light on that is to illuminate the surrounding area and give a better image, not to attract fish (though I have noticed that it does seem to attract burbot, but I don't fish for those). I can't find anything in the regs that tells me I can't use the light on my Marcum.

I wonder how much bearing "intent" has on the legalities. It would probably be pretty easy to prove that someone shining a flashlight into the water was trying to attract fish, but a laser sight or the light on a fish TV do have other primary functions that could make "intent" more challenging to prove.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM

Default Great point...

I'd have the same question regarding the light-feature on my Aqua-Vu camera! When the sun goes down making regular visibility minimal, the light-feature on the camera really extends viewing time; similar to fiber-optic sights extending shooting time for archery hunters in late-day low-light conditions.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:14 PM

As I understand my interpretation of the regs that you can use light under the water ie: camera or glo light. You just can use a spot light on top of the water in an effort to attrack fish. I find that walleye hate the light on the camera in low light conditions, from my observations.

Regs: It's unlawful to:
- Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used
in angling. (page 19)

Now with a laser sight, I have no idea. Best to call F&W and ask them.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM

seems to me, the laser is attached to your bow, which is attached to your arrow by means of an unbreakable line, in which case it should be quite legal. no different than a rod, line and light attached to the line. But check first, I was wrong once

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
seems to me, the laser is attached to your bow, which is attached to your arrow by means of an unbreakable line, in which case it should be quite legal. no different than a rod, line and light attached to the line. But check first, I was wrong once
I like your point better than mine. I change to yours
Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
That is a very logical deduction.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
That is a very logical deduction.
oh man, I hate it when the drugs wear off!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Would laser light bend in the water just like ordinary light due to refractive index?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
oh man, I hate it when the drugs wear off!!!
I wouldn't admit that

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Would laser light bend in the water just like ordinary light due to refractive index?
The answer is . . . (after a Google search) . . . yes!
http://homepage.mac.com/cbakken/oboo...efraction.html

That was a very good question. The synapses are really firing on the board right now.