Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM

Default Anglers, you too can help!

The recent floods in southern Alberta have been devastating, and have no doubt touched us all in one way or another. Please read the following blog, to see how you can assist in the recovery of our fisheries.

Alberta’s anglers asked to assist with post-flood recovery of fish populations

In the wake of the recent flooding in southern Alberta, anglers have an important role to play in conserving our fish. The flooding and the work currently taking place to speed recovery will likely cause stress to Alberta’s fish populations. While it’s still too soon to measure the effects of the flood on native fish, particularly species at risk, some fish mortality is expected.

To facilitate the rapid recovery of fish populations affected by the flooding, ESRD is asking anglers to voluntarily release all fish caught from certain flowing waters for the remainder of the 2013/14 fishing season. This request applies to:
· All flowing waters in Management Area ES1

· All flowing waters in Management Area ES2 upstream of the Forestry Trunk Road

· In Management Area PP1:

o Bow River from Highway 24 downstream to Highway 36

o Oldman River from Secondary Rd. 509 downstream to Highway 36

· In Management Area PP2, the Red Deer River from Dickson Dam downstream to Highway 27

In order to reduce injury to hooked fish, anglers are also asked to avoid the use of all bait (including maggots) in the specified waters.

Please refer to the 2013 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations for maps of the management areas.

Reducing further mortality of fish is very important to the recovery of fish populations. It will ensure as many fish as possible can survive to spawn again.

The support of anglers in this challenging time will help ensure Alberta’s fisheries are sustained and thrive into the future.

Please check out the My Wild Alberta Facebook page for any additional information on how you can help our wildlife recover from this disaster. http:////www.facebook.com/MyWildAlberta?fref=ts
Old 07-12-2013, 02:25 PM

Will do!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 PM

Bump!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Banned

Maybe mods can make this a sticky?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM

Default Bite me.

No.

The flood was not all that bad this year, despite expectations.

fish have been fish for a long time and do know how to deal with rough water from time to time. I'm not denying that floods do have an impact and will change things, but you don't need get too worried about it, cause that is how this world works. Things always change, always did, always will. So pls stop acting as if ever little change that happens is going to be Armageddon for the fish. It just isn't. Seriously.

You government ppl really do think that regulating EVERYTHING is important. If you could you would impose regulations on the fish themselves, for their own good. yikes.

Not to mention the fact that you ppl are lairs: "In order to reduce injury to hooked fish, anglers are also asked to avoid the use of all bait (including maggots) in the specified waters." I really would like to see what kind of hippie bull poop science this is biased on. Bait does not harm hooked fish. Hooks harm hooked fish. If you lot want to keep us from Fishing at all just come out and say it. Stop being pathetic sideways talking lying liberal hippie losers.

With regards, a P***ed off Bubble.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 PM

I would like to ad, that the fish that actually are endangered are already not keepable, and fish that we can already keep are mostly doing fine. Throwing hem back is totally pointless. There is, in my option, no need for a catch and release only for the rest of the season or onward.

I seriously do think that they hate us
and would be more than happy if no one hurt the poor little fishes with a mean old hook ever again.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM

A good description of some of the impact on fish population here:

http://flyfishalberta.blogspot.ca/20...emergency.html

food for thought.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
A good description of some of the impact on fish population here:

http://flyfishalberta.blogspot.ca/20...emergency.html

food for thought.
If the fish can find your hook, they can find enough food to survive the winter. A mandatory catch and release will not help make that much of a positive impact either. Only on the big game fish that already have a good chance of surviving. So there would be no real point to a mandatory catch and release anyway.

You ppl act as if the world was made yesterday. Big floods change things, but they don't destroy things. If they did, the fish would have been wiped out thousands of years ago.

Remember that we anglers are a part of the system, not a foreign element that is going to destroy the system. We are the same as the birds and bears.

I honestly thing you lot love being regulated, that you would be happy if fishing was illegal.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 PM

dysfunctional, you have a point, there have been floods and disasters before us, the fact is, human fishing has dimished the populations, so something like a flood WILL have impact (aka beached fish) on already damaged population. This is probably the wrong forum to act like we have no impact on the nature of things.

Food for thought, cheerio!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM

also, birds and bears only eat what they need, we catch, mangle and kill fish for sport, and also take more than what we need, we are NOT like animals that can be sustainable.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM

Several people I know had fish laying in their back alley once the water receded.

Anything to help the surviving fish is nothing short of what should be done.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 05-30-2014, 12:25 AM

Keeping strong fish stocks in mind, Some of this is a good idea but the truth of the matter when it comes to injuring fish is not the bait but the HOOK. A good method I always use and highly recamend is pinching off the barb. On the down side you may loose more fish. On the upside you will not be injuring fish nearly as bad and more skill is required, in my opinion this just makes the sport that much more fun!

Happy fishing
Fellow angler,

Spawn
Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 PM

Alberta has been 100% barbless for 10 years.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settle&release View Post
Except these last 2 years...
Old 06-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Keeping strong fish stocks in mind, Some of this is a good idea but the truth of the matter when it comes to injuring fish is not the bait but the HOOK. A good method I always use and highly recamend is pinching off the barb. On the down side you may loose more fish. On the upside you will not be injuring fish nearly as bad and more skill is required, in my opinion this just makes the sport that much more fun!

Happy fishing
Fellow angler,

Spawn
you are absolutely correct. I find when I fish with no hook, zero fish are injured or even disturbed! great Idea. have you tried using velcro instead of a hook?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-05-2014, 01:46 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settle&release View Post
Not true, they made an attempt but were unable to inforce the barbless rule. Last years regulations stated barbs were no longer illegal but encourage anglers to still go barbless. The only way to fish in my opinion.

Have a look at the regulations and I am pretty sure this is the case.

Fellow angler,

Spawn.

P.S.

.... Let me know if I am mistaken.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:16 PM

Default No man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
you are absolutely correct. I find when I fish with no hook, zero fish are injured or even disturbed! great Idea. have you tried using velcro instead of a hook?
What I was meaning was pinch the barb off and leave your j hook or whatever style of hook you are using alone, sharpen it if anything.

Talking about valcro I was thinking in mind this would be a bad idia not for the fish but the angler, would not be having any action.

Fellow angler,

Spawn.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:41 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for speaking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunctional Bubble View Post
No.

The flood was not all that bad this year, despite expectations.

fish have been fish for a long time and do know how to deal with rough water from time to time. I'm not denying that floods do have an impact and will change things, but you don't need get too worried about it, cause that is how this world works. Things always change, always did, always will. So pls stop acting as if ever little change that happens is going to be Armageddon for the fish. It just isn't. Seriously.

You government ppl really do think that regulating EVERYTHING is important. If you could you would impose regulations on the fish themselves, for their own good. yikes.

Not to mention the fact that you ppl are lairs: "In order to reduce injury to hooked fish, anglers are also asked to avoid the use of all bait (including maggots) in the specified waters." I really would like to see what kind of hippie bull poop science this is biased on. Bait does not harm hooked fish. Hooks harm hooked fish. If you lot want to keep us from Fishing at all just come out and say it. Stop being pathetic sideways talking lying liberal hippie losers.

With regards, a P***ed off Bubble.

That was well said! Keep and support strong stocks but keep it real at the same time.

Good on ya Bubble!

Fellow angler,

Spawn.