Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2014, 08:29 PM

Default GLoomis vs St. Croix

I broke the tip on my Fenwick Elite tech walley 6'9" 1-piece #EWS69ML-F and I want to replace it with either a GLoomis or St. Croix. I found the Fenwick to be a bit of a club compared to my Quantum smoke...the smoke is much more sensitive. I have a shimano Stradic C14+ 2500 to match up with it.
Was looking at the GL2 Dropshot or the St. Croix Legend Tournament Walley 6'8" model LTWS68MXF.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these or have any suggestions.

I mostly fish for walley and pike using crankbaits or still fishing with plastic.

Thanks, Ken
Old 09-09-2014, 08:55 PM

I like my loomis rods currently own 5 now and find them excellent, I find using 1 rod for multiple species to be difficult. But we fish almost daily and long days so it pays to have sensitive light equipment.

For trout I have a tiny gl2 trout rod

For walleye jigging I have the Loomis walleye wjr 6'3" mag lite extra fast

For trolling smaller lures I use a 7'2" crankbait series rod

For the river and large pike lures I use the gl2 8'6 mag heavy

I find I really like the crankbait and have landed pike up to 20 pounds but limited to small lures.

The girlfriend uses a loomis imx med heavy in a 6'6 works well for jigging and pike as a all round but not as sensitive as my walleye rod. But for overall its a light sensitive rod as well.

I would say the both build excellent rods it comes down to availability and preference.

Take your reel to the store and throw it on see how it feels together.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:43 PM

Default GLoomis vs St. Croix

Thanks for the info....I'm up in GP and it is limited for availability. Going to Calgary on the 19th and will have to hit bass pro. Not sure if I will have time to go to Cabelas and Fishin' hole in Edmonton on the way through.
Which series of crainkbait 7'2" do you have and what weight/action is it?
Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcward View Post
I broke the tip on my Fenwick Elite tech walley 6'9" 1-piece #EWS69ML-F and I want to replace it with either a GLoomis or St. Croix. I found the Fenwick to be a bit of a club compared to my Quantum smoke...the smoke is much more sensitive. I have a shimano Stradic C14+ 2500 to match up with it.
Was looking at the GL2 Dropshot or the St. Croix Legend Tournament Walley 6'8" model LTWS68MXF.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these or have any suggestions.

I mostly fish for walley and pike using crankbaits or still fishing with plastic.

Thanks, Ken
I have both a GL2 and a St. Croix Legend right now and I STRONGLY suggest the St. Croix hands down. I also have the Shimano Stradic CI4+ on both. Not exactly sure why but the St. Croix gets more fish to the boat.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I have both a GL2 and a St. Croix Legend right now and I STRONGLY suggest the St. Croix hands down. I also have the Shimano Stradic CI4+ on both. Not exactly sure why but the St. Croix gets more fish to the boat.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
Thanks! I was leaning more that way...
Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 PM

I own a GL2 and two Legend Tournaments. I would compare the GL2 to more the St. Croix Avid series and the Leg Tours to IMX.
Between the two series you chose, they are both very sensitive and good rods. Read which warranty you like more. If you still cannot decide pick the one that you think looks coolest. Better yet, buy both.

P.S. Check if they are both normal stock or if one needs special order. Answer is obvious then. At the current moment my choice would be the Croix but I go in phases.

Have fun!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcward View Post
Thanks for the info....I'm up in GP and it is limited for availability. Going to Calgary on the 19th and will have to hit bass pro. Not sure if I will have time to go to Cabelas and Fishin' hole in Edmonton on the way through.
Which series of crainkbait 7'2" do you have and what weight/action is it?

Was at bass pro shops a few weeks back and was disappointed in the high end rods available I may have been looking in the wrong soot as well.

My crankbait rod is a med heavy
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=25828

It is also a Baitcaster
Old 09-10-2014, 07:44 AM

I'm a big fan of St.Croix. A few weeks back, I broke the top section of my rod in half. I went on their site, ordered a new top piece (very reasonable price) and in 3 days it was sitting on my doorstep when I got home from work. Best part is the shipping was free!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmbreeze View Post
I own a GL2 and two Legend Tournaments. I would compare the GL2 to more the St. Croix Avid series and the Leg Tours to IMX.
Between the two series you chose, they are both very sensitive and good rods. Read which warranty you like more. If you still cannot decide pick the one that you think looks coolest. Better yet, buy both.

P.S. Check if they are both normal stock or if one needs special order. Answer is obvious then. At the current moment my choice would be the Croix but I go in phases.

Have fun!
Thanks for your feedback!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
Was at bass pro shops a few weeks back and was disappointed in the high end rods available I may have been looking in the wrong soot as well.

My crankbait rod is a med heavy
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=25828

It is also a Baitcaster
Thanks for your help!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I'm a big fan of St.Croix. A few weeks back, I broke the top section of my rod in half. I went on their site, ordered a new top piece (very reasonable price) and in 3 days it was sitting on my doorstep when I got home from work. Best part is the shipping was free!
Thanks Kyle,
it's good to know they stand behind them well!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 PM

Gloomis , u will not be disappointed. First yr with one and let me tell you they are worth the money
Old 09-10-2014, 08:23 PM

Definitely G Loomis the IMX line is very sensitive and tough. The St. Croix rods have had some problems with tip breakage in the last couple years. I own the 6ft 6 med Heavy IMX as well and put it to the test on the Mackenzie river in NWT and multiple pike 40 to 45 inch with enough power to stop them thrashing. We broke an Ugly Stick and my pike cradle and my St. Croix Legend stayed in the locker. The 7ft 1 IMX in Med Heavy would be perfect as the 6ft6 is just a little short for trolling.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:27 PM

I have a GL2 and a St.Croix Legend - both Med baitcast rods and I prefer the St.Croix because the GL2 eyes are so small - it tangles the tip ..... quite and annoying feature for a baitcasting rod.

In terms of performance they are both absolutely awesome ...... you can't really go wrong in my opinion.

Just that one silly little annoyance. Other than that ..... flip a coin
Old 09-11-2014, 11:36 PM

Thanks everyone! I am heading down to Calgary next weekend and will have to see what is available and pull the trigger on one of them.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:52 AM

If you give Fenwick a call, they will replace the tip end of the rod for free.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:04 AM

Give Dobyns rods a try. They are sensitive and the most balanced rod on the market
Old 09-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I just sent them some pics of the break. It is a 1 pc but hoping they will warranty it. Still a good excuse for a new one
Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake691 View Post
Give Dobyns rods a try. They are sensitive and the most balanced rod on the market
Where can you buy those rods in Alberta?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:11 AM

Default No Warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Just received the reply email from Fenwick. No warranty! I had purchased this direct from them at a discounted price because of a previous break on an old fenwick rod and because of this they won't stand behind the product. In hindsight I should have just bought one off the shelf, as I paid about $80 to get the last one...of course they will sell me another one at a discounted rate but I think I will pass!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:12 AM

I love my st croix spin rod, but my reel clamp comes loose often. I have to re tighten 4-6 times an outing. Might have just got a bad one?? G loomis rods are top notch though no issues so far.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
I love my st croix spin rod, but my reel clamp comes loose often. I have to re tighten 4-6 times an outing. Might have just got a bad one?? G loomis rods are top notch though no issues so far.
a couple wraps of that plumbers thread tape fixes that.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
a couple wraps of that plumbers thread tape fixes that.
That's a good idea! I need to do something just didn't want nothing permanent. That sounds like the ticket.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
That's a good idea! I need to do something just didn't want nothing permanent. That sounds like the ticket.
See he is not here just for his good looks
Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
See he is not here just for his good looks
That's not what the Mods said when they invited me to join.

They saw me in my chaps ......
Old 09-23-2014, 10:41 AM

Default Pulled the trigger

Well, as they say 2 rods are better than 1! I ended up getting a St. Croix Mojo Bass drop shot for my lady and a GLoomis GL2 drop shot for myself - both 1 pc, 6'9" extra fast action. Put on a Pflueger president size 30 and the Shimano Stradic CI4+ on the Loomis.

Will have to try them out this weekend!

Thanks for the advise!
Ken
Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM

I would be worried about G Loomis warranty. I have a Loomis salmon rod and broke my previous one while fighting a fish. They required me to ship it to them at my expense and then declined to warranty it. I had to buy a replacement from them at a discounted price or tell them where to go. I started with the the latter but eventually bought the replacement. It works fine but they have lost me as a customer - too bad because my 4 piece fly rod is my favorite.