Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 07:50 AM

Question Wab or Lac St.Anne?

heading to Wab PP this weekend for the final camping trip of the year. I'm taking my boat to do some fishing, but i heard that Wab is really slow right now. Anyone been to Lac St.Anne lately? If the fishing is better there right now, then i just need to drive 15 mins to get there from the PP. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:03 PM

Was out on Wab Wed evening from 6-9ishl It wasn't slow and actually had a 9 lb jack nearly spool me 4 times. Action was consistant trolling a 5 of diamonds
Old 09-23-2014, 03:48 PM

I ended up going to Lac St.Anne because i had the wife and kids with me, so trolling was out of the question. Action was pretty steady for the 3 hours that we were there. We stayed around the bridge because it was pretty windy. What surprised me was the amount of pike that were in the area, 75% of the fish we caught were pike. we caught some nice fat walleyes as well, but it was 3-1 for pike vs walleye. It was a great afternoon and fun was had by all. By the way, how do you keep your five of diamonds from riding up to the surface when you're trolling? I tried trolling with the size 1 five of diamonds once and it came to the surface like a surf board.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:38 PM

Ya gotta stop the boat let it sink make sure your weed free and troll slowly ..giving it short pulls and stops here and there ..the pike will follow it for a ways but when the hook stops for a second they run right into it ..idk if the bites outta hunger or pure aggression but it works good most the fish i catch trolling is when i let the hook stop for a second ... good luck ..spoons arent the best choice tho imo ..id go with a good rapala or swim bait instead ..but each to their own .. it is fishing afterall..tight lines
Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smasher View Post
By the way, how do you keep your five of diamonds from riding up to the surface when you're trolling? I tried trolling with the size 1 five of diamonds once and it came to the surface like a surf board.
If your spoon is surfing - chances are you are going twice as fast as you should be.

2 mph-3 mph is plenty of speed for pike. Your spoon should be below the surface.

I also like to do some "S" curves and kick it into neutral occasionally.

Like Chris says - pike smash lures on any sign of a pause, or twitch, or resumed movement. It seems likely they follow the lure around a while trying to decide what to do.

Quite often, a little pump of the rod, or dipping the tip during a troll entices a reaction.

Chris is 100% on the money on this one.