Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslamer View Post
bud u realldy dont have a clue...
my family has a beekeeping operation and we use mexican labour every year(reason we cant fid anyone local that will work with bees) and they get paid far from slave wages,they get min 16 an hour or more depending on their experance,and we also pay the air ticket here and back ,plus they only get half the deductions a resident gets and the mexican goverment gets 500 per worker ..
we also hire fron austrailia when we can
so nothing cheap about it
X2. A buddy who runs a greenhouse brings up the seasonal workers from south america. they have had mexicans, trinidads, and others. They simply cannot find the workers here in canada to do these jobs. Nothing new in the ag business. They work hard for less than us greedy canadians will. Why would this have anything to do with the swine flu anyways... The tourists are spreading it.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I must have heard the words world wide Swine flue pandemic on the news everyday for the last 4 days. I take exception to the media fearmongering. The last real pandemic was the 1918 spanish flue influenza pandemic killed between 20 and 40 million people in a year, more than 4 times as many as the 4 year black plague of the 1300's. This swine flue has been around for 2 weeks and you guys are right the WHO has not called it a pandemic yet the media goes on like we're on the verge of disaster. The use of the words 'pandemic' and 'World Health Org' in the same news clip, often the same sentence leads folks to believe they had declared such. ........anyway my rant still stands that the WHO while it's a necessary organization has too many generals and not enough soldiers, too much high living at the top while the WHO doctor in the camp somewhere with all the starving and sick has no medicine. Rant over.
Wrong Bush.

1. the black plague didn't develop into a killer of millions over three days. Or even three weeks.

2. The last pandemic was not the spanish flu.

Flu pandemics since 1918:
# The "Asian Flu", 1957–58. An H2N2 caused about 70,000 deaths in the United States. First identified in China in late February 1957, the Asian flu spread to the United States by June 1957. It caused about 2 million deaths globally.[33]
# The "Hong Kong Flu", 1968–69. An H3N2 caused about 34,000 deaths in the United States. This virus was first detected in Hong Kong in early 1968, and spread to the United States later that year. This pandemic of 1968 and 1969 killed an estimated one million people worldwide.[34] Influenza A (H3N2) viruses still circulate today.

AIDS (remember that one?)
Main article: AIDS pandemic

HIV went directly from Africa to Haiti, then spread to the United States and much of the rest of the world beginning around 1969.[39] HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, is currently a pandemic, with infection rates as high as 25% in southern and eastern Africa. In 2006 the HIV prevalence rate among pregnant women in South Africa was 29.1%.[40] Effective education about safer sexual practices and bloodborne infection precautions training have helped to slow down infection rates in several African countries sponsoring national education programs. Infection rates are rising again in Asia and the Americas. AIDS could kill 31 million people in India and 18 million in China by 2025, according to projections by U.N. population researchers.[41] AIDS death toll in Africa may reach 90-100 million by 2025.[42]

How about smallpox?
Smallpox

Smallpox is a highly contagious disease caused by the Variola virus. The disease killed an estimated 400,000 Europeans each year during the 18th century.[43] During the 20th century, it is estimated that smallpox was responsible for 300–500 million deaths.[44][45] As recently as early 1950s an estimated 50 million cases of smallpox occurred in the world each year.[46] After successful vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, the WHO certified the eradication of smallpox in December 1979. To this day, smallpox is the only human infectious disease to have been completely eradicated.[47]

At least check Wikipedia (although there are other more detailed and credible sources) before you set out your "facts" to try to downplay an issue.

This flu may fizzle out to nothing (Like SARS did). However, it does have the POTENTIAL to be a major problem. So, although panic is not called for (never really is), caution is probably prudent. If nothing else, educate yourself about the issue (step 1= turn off the t.v. and stop listening to Rutherford).
Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 PM

It sounds more like media pandemonium rather than a pandemic!!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 PM

why would someone wanna go to a s|-|it hole such as MEXICO anyways,
people you live in the most beautiful country in the world !!!! just open your eyes and look around

Oh Canada !!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph1 View Post
why would someone wanna go to a s|-|it hole such as MEXICO anyways,
people you live in the most beautiful country in the world !!!! just open your eyes and look around

Oh Canada !!
I'm assuming you haven't been.
Perhaps let us know where the white sand beaches, turqouis water and palm trees are in Canada... in February.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Default Copidosoma, wise up.

Cop, quite muddying the waters with facts. Get on the cynical rant train with the rest of us!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Cop, quite muddying the waters with facts. Get on the cynical rant train with the rest of us!
Fair comment. One of these days I'll learn. I guess I'm just stubborn.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Perhaps let us know where the white sand beaches, turqouis water and palm trees are in Canada... in February.
lol who needs that ???, only old farts that wanna lay in the sand and absorb vitamine D from the sun while regenerating their crippled immune system , turquoise waters plenty in the mountains palm tree you can plant at home , - just kidding,
I would go to Florida or California instead
Old 04-29-2009, 02:36 PM
randyfromalberta

But where will all the Prostitutes go!!!!!
I think they should close down all Taco Bell's and them make "them run for the boarder" !!!

Last edited by randyfromalberta; 04-29-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: put in wrong place
Old 04-29-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph1 View Post
lol who needs that ???, only old farts that wanna lay in the sand and absorb vitamine D from the sun while regenerating their crippled immune system , turquoise waters plenty in the mountains palm tree you can plant at home , - just kidding,
I would go to Florida or California instead
and Palm trees in Vancouver!!!

there is now one official death by swine (Mexican) flu in the US. a 22 month old child. I feel for the parents.
It may be bad it may not be, but until there is a CURE for it, we will not know for sure. Last thing we need is for it to mutate into something serious before we can get it cured. The spanish flu got so bad because of lack of news. hence 1 reason why it is getting pushed so badly on the news. I dont think we need to listen to the propaganda that gets spit out because of a fart somewhere. Hollywood does that enough, and even they are unable to make a creative new story.
unless animated ofcourse......THERE WE GO, a new movie for HOLYwood, an animated, swine flu, farm animal movie about the pigs creating their own flu and eating the vaccination before sending it out amongst the farmers, to kill all the pig farmers in the world so they can be free and learn to fly

WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE!!!!
IT IS THAT SIMPLE, THEY EVEN SAY NORMAL SOAP, SO YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO GO OUT AND BUY THE ANTI-BACTERIAL STUFF.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
They simply cannot find the workers here in canada to do these jobs. ... They work hard for less than us greedy canadians will.
Hmmm... Wonder if that will change if the economy ends up doing another downslide?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:47 PM
randyfromalberta

Default Hunterzach ???????????????

Your mom the Nurse said it "should be like Sars and only affect the old and the newborns"????? I'm 53 so ask her how long i have!!LMAO
What Hospital does she work at!!! She sounds like Nurse Hatchetoff !!!

I think you worded it word (at least I hope so)!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:58 PM

apparently there arent any actual pigs ( that they can find in mexico or US) with this Swine Flu.....and most "swine" flu cases are actually less virulent than reg flu. reg influenza kills several hundred people every year!

enjoy the pork! maybe prices will drop...BBQ season is here! just wash your hand as usual ......in public places. mmm RIBS

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/...neflu-faq.html

is the your buds you gotta watch , not the piggies!

Last edited by bunnyhunter; 04-29-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Banned

WHO boosts pandemic alert level to 5

This could get nasty.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
WHO boosts pandemic alert level to 5

This could get nasty.
Apparently it is no big deal and taking precautions is a waste of time.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
Apparently it is no big deal and taking precautions is a waste of time.
Well let's hope that it doesn't come down to this..

Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantracker View Post
I am hearing some different reports on this, are we on the verge of a major pandemic

It sure seems to be spreading fast

BLAME OBAMA!!

It was once said that a black man would be president "when pigs fly". 100 days into Obama's presidency...Swine Flu!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 PM

Default swine flu

We just got back from a wedding in Mexico, there were 55 of us there. We flew in and out of Cancun. We were at a resort outside Playa Del Carmen and nothing was said to us about this anywhere or anytime. If it wasn't for CNN we wouldn't have known anything was going on. When we got to the airport, the only people I saw wearing masks and rubber gloves were the 3 people cleaning the washrooms. I saw 2 tourists with masks and they were just around their necks, not on their faces at all. This was at noon on Sunday which is their busiest day of the week because most tour operators run Sunday to Sunday. Security was so relaxed that from check in to boarding nobody made us leave our open water bottles behind and they didn't take the 2 from my carry on either. Our only hassle was for being over the 20kg luggage restriction.
If it wasn't for bad news and pandemonium the media would be unemployed.
Consider this: Canada is apprx 10 million sq kms and has a population of 31 million people. Mexico City is apprx 1500 sq kms and has a population of over 18 million people. Let's see 160 deaths divided by 18 000 000 people is ........
This year in Canada alone we can expect 75 000 deaths from cancer, 100 to 150 deaths from C. Difficile, and 130 bicycle related deaths.
You better run for the hills and don't talk to or look at any cancer stricken bike riders who have not washed their hands!!!
Thanks to CNN and the like, we know the world is coming to an end and we are all going to die.....but nobody knows when.

Geo
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 PM

The swine flu has nothing to do with pigs!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSVDV View Post
Are you sure about that?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 AM

Pigs spreading the flu
http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php...opic=24518&hl=

Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Gone Hunting

I was in high school for the Asian Flu. IIRC, It hit 2/3 of the students. I wasn't one of them.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 AM

Default Swine flu

confirmed 2 cases in Alberta are in Calgary and in Peace River (young toddler-boy).
Old 04-30-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSVDV View Post

Yes it does - watch the news and know the facts before you post
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM

Default swine flu

grizzlys have been out for a good while now. most if not all blacks are out of hibernation as well, but check your local regulations first. as to the person who said swine flu was all hype, pike can be found in shallow bays now, spawning. look for them in dark bottomed shallow bays on the north side of the lake, sunning themselves as this area warms up the fastest. also side pork is not bacon, be carefull . on a side note, george bush was president, not a primeminister. thx, you may resume your discussion.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:48 PM

As a side note....anybody know how the stocks are doing for the companies that manufacture masks and giant bubbles?? Too late to get in on them? Seriously, when there's an Ebola pandemic I'll worry, not over swine flu.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:38 PM

I personally think everyone is overreacting. Hundreds of people die every year from the flu. The only reason this one is so serious is because its a new strain. The places in Mexico where these people are dying are very poor areas. There immune systems are diminished compared to ours. Not to mention, the differences in health care. The ones that have to worry here are the elderly, infants and the immune deficient, but that's no different then every other year at flu season. Wash your hands. Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. That's all we can do. Why is everyone panicking??

And as far as them declaring it a pandemic level 5. I'm starting to wonder about.... I'm thinking something is starting to stink here. At level 5 they can now declare Marshall Law, which would bring on a whole lot of horrors, in itself. If there that concerned why aren't they locking the Mexican border? This may be just the beginning, and maybe there causing mass panic with the media, to distract from something else. Paving the road for the North American Union perhaps??? I guess only time will tell.... Yes I know some of you are probably thinking I'm just another conspiracy nut... (BUD, i know you are lol) But think about it.. look at history. The only way to get people to conform and to give up some of their civil liberty's is by causing mass panic. "we need to push through the patriot act to fight the terrorists". Now it will be "you need to stay in your homes to keep your families safe" and who knows what will come after that. Again, only time will tell....
Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
Yes it does - watch the news and know the facts before you post
Okay....as near as we know know now it's a mutation of the swine, avian and a form of the standard influenza...... most cases are "mild".... new reports indicate "7" have died in Mexico from it (confirmed).....99.9% of the cases out side of there are mild cases of the flu"....so go to your drug stor...and get your facts straight.... instead of watching CNN....I guess the economy is doing better????...or have u heard????
Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Global warming will have us all livin under the palms soon...
Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 PM

Bird flu last year, swine flu this year....sadly both didnt kill as many people as the regular old normal flu that you never hear about. Its fear mongering and I wouldn't worry about it too much...they will have another crisis to freak us out next month.