Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2020, 09:15 PM

Default Sylvan - Open Water Report

Went out with Scott, BTY warm day, 24C with light wind, we launched at Half Moon, fished the point, Sunbreaker, Palm Bay & RR23 South, we both limited out on Whites and we finally got to keep a Walleye. Fish were most active in 12-14 fow, Pre-spawn Males were milking, we lost count on the number of Walleye, didn't catch any females today. Lots of boat out not everyone was doing that well. No snow in the forecast this weekend, hope everyone has a fun & save May long!

A few pic's from opening day.

Cheers

D.

A few White's didn't Totally Spawn out Last Fall before First Ice.

The Last Time I Filleted a Walleye was back in MB in 2004, took the Cheeks & Hocks

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 05-16-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:35 PM

What a BEAUTIFUL day!!!

Great company as always.

Was fun taking a gamble on some new spots that paid off.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:40 PM

Nice Boat pic's ....

Nice bunch a fish, too!

D.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:56 PM

You Dogs you guys. Nice pics gentlemen. Walleyes caught on the lip. Wish I had the chance to participate. Nice whites also. Seems like Syl has some good size whites. Just after ice??? Still shallow?? Fish feast for sure
Old 05-16-2020, 10:57 PM

Congrats on a great day fellas. We went to Burnstick for our opener today, but likely heading to Sunbreaker to launch out tomorrow. Looking forward to another beautiful day!
Old 05-16-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Nice Boat pic's ....

Nice bunch a fish, too!

D.
Looks like an awesome ride and you know what? Just from the pic's of fish, your boat catches more than mine....sometimes .
Old 05-16-2020, 11:05 PM

Just curious, what electronics are running on that rig? Also what front motor you got? Foot or hand remote?
Old 05-17-2020, 09:28 AM

Nice boat, nice day and nice fish! Good to see some wallies with whites on the table. Congrats!
Old 05-17-2020, 09:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

looks like a great time on the water...dam nice boat too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-17-2020, 10:18 AM

Ha nice pics boys, hope I am able to share after we go out tomorrow. Hope all is well. Taking the father in law and wife fishing tomorrow there. Dave, I still got that jig from last year you gave me that you are using, going to give it a try.

skawtty
Old 05-17-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Just curious, what electronics are running on that rig? Also what front motor you got? Foot or hand remote?
Humminbird Helix 5 DI up front connected to the Minn Kota Terrova. Humminbird 959 CI HD at the console I-pilot linked to the Terrova. The Terrova has both foot pedal (which I don't use) and I-pilot remotes with spot lock, cruise and auto chart support.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
looks like a great time on the water...dam nice boat too
Cheers!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
Ha nice pics boys, hope I am able to share after we go out tomorrow. Hope all is well. Taking the father in law and wife fishing tomorrow there. Dave, I still got that jig from last year you gave me that you are using, going to give it a try.

skawtty
Tight lines bud!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:08 PM

Really impressive. I need to get on the open wster whitefish train. Crazy how effective you guys are at it.

Nice job! Its strangely intimidating because the hooks are so small that it seems like a waste. Ive tried a little bit but seems like its useless - cant believe how successful you are.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Really impressive. I need to get on the open wster whitefish train. Crazy how effective you guys are at it.

Nice job! Its strangely intimidating because the hooks are so small that it seems like a waste. Ive tried a little bit but seems like its useless - cant believe how successful you are.

Tks for the kind words, I've said this in previous threads, I have no difficulty sharing tips/tricks and helping others hopefully have a successful day fishing, wish more members would do the same, trust this may help improve your success.

In regards to the jig head, in open water the smaller the better, I find a 1/32 oz works the best with a 2" Mini Mr. Twister in light/dark brown with spots (Cdn Tire sell them). Tie a 5 foot Floro leader, 6-8 lb then 10 lb braid, I can cast it about 30-35 ft with my ultra-light & then allow the jig to sink slowly down, then retrieve trying to swim it back slowly and let it drop, swim/drop etc, the Whites normally hit it when it drops, it's a very light hit, your feel them when you jig up & you have to be ready to set the hook or Mr Whites gone. When you get a good hook set they fight like crazy & it's normally in the top of their snout so you don't loose to many trying to get them in the net. I find a heavier jig head say 1/8 or 1/4 oz drops to quick and you have much less or 0 strikes.

We found the most active fish in 12-14 fow, I caught that largest White in the pic's, vertical jigging under the boat, 6-8" off the bottom, it hit like freight train, you have to adjust your jig to make sure it still sits horizontal which the 1/32 oz does with no effort. While eating a 1/2 sandwich I was vertical jigging under the boat, put my rod handle under my leg/boat seat (My Jaw-Jacker) caught 2 Walleye in the upper mouth before I finished eating my lunch.

Other people were fishin small bobber's with wire worms, they were catching a few, but nothing like we experienced.

We caught lots of Walleye's on the same jig, Scott changed rods from a piece of smelt to 1/32 Mr Twister the Pre-spawn Walleye preferred the smaller presentation. The down side of using the small jig & Mini Mr. Twister is .... I had a Pike bite me off, I would like to think it was big, it hit right under the boat & when I felt the strike/crunch & set the hook, my rod almost doubled over & she was gone. Last year I had a 20LB plus Pike follow the Mini Mr. Twister Jig right up to the boat but it wouldn't commit, that was exciting to witness, small presentations can catch big fish in the spring.

Give it a try, hope you do as well & let us know.

Cheers

David

Skawtty .... if it's not raining we may see you tomorrow.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the tips Zip! They are always appreciated. I've been playing with micro jig presentations for trout but I will pick up some of these for whites too. I've been after the whites on Pigeon for 2 years now and have yet to catch one!
Old 05-18-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
Thanks for the tips Zip! They are always appreciated. I've been playing with micro jig presentations for trout but I will pick up some of these for whites too. I've been after the whites on Pigeon for 2 years now and have yet to catch one!

Good to hear, when Scott & I were fishin Gull Lake a few years ago in the early spring, I had lots of success with the same Mr. Twister presentation, however, I had more Pike bite me off, it became a PIA tie on all the time.

Got a P/M from a member asking if I tipped the jig with Bait or Scent ... I should of mentioned, it was not necessary, the Whites were chasing the presentation that represents a small minnow. The pre-spawn walleye were a bit lethargic & would just grab & hold allowing you to set the hook.

Cheers

D.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
Humminbird Helix 5 DI up front connected to the Minn Kota Terrova. Humminbird 959 CI HD at the console I-pilot linked to the Terrova. The Terrova has both foot pedal (which I don't use) and I-pilot remotes with spot lock, cruise and auto chart support.

Cheers,

Scott.
dam...you got more invested in electronics than I have in my whole set up...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-18-2020, 02:08 PM

I appreciate your sharing info, techniques and tackle.

I have been flamed for doing that here when I get specific about Crawling, goose shoots etc. but Ill continue to do so.

Your tip on the light jig, and specific twister tail does work very well in Crawling and other reservoirs at mid season. The gkids and dogs get a great kick out of watching the vertical under the boat stationary jig n tail, Mr. Wally can really hammer that thing.

I also use the same tackle under a slip bobber when they are finicky, the wave action, jigging / jiggling etc. seems to be the key, I will let them drag the bobber and tackle a around a bit before setting the hook, almost always a lip hook is the result.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
I appreciate your sharing info, techniques and tackle.

I have been flamed for doing that here when I get specific about Crawling, goose shoots etc. but Ill continue to do so.

Your tip on the light jig, and specific twister tail does work very well in Crawling and other reservoirs at mid season. The gkids and dogs get a great kick out of watching the vertical under the boat stationary jig n tail, Mr. Wally can really hammer that thing.

I also use the same tackle under a slip bobber when they are finicky, the wave action, jigging / jiggling etc. seems to be the key, I will let them drag the bobber and tackle a around a bit before setting the hook, almost always a lip hook is the result.

Tks for sharing your techniques, back in Mb we did the same .... let lots of line out and watch them drag the bobber around a bit then it goes under pop's-up then take up the slack & set it, on occasion the walleye had the hook down in the gullet, had to use the snippers a few times for any C&R's, but it was a productive method of catching fish.

All the best this season.

Cheers

D.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:41 PM

The sylvan slayers are at it again!!!

Good job as usual.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:00 PM

Went there this morning, got there at 9am cold and windy , choppy as heck. Started picking off the walleyes as that is all we caught. kept a few 18 inchers for supper and threw the 20+ ones back back. Still believe the smaller ones taste better and the bigger ones let them make more smaller ones. Thanks David fir the jig and tail think i will buy some of these, they worked like a charm. Was hoping for some whites but walleys are perfect too. One of these weekends we will meet you guys out there and then go to monkey top for a bevy and some good eats.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:18 PM

we were out Saturday night between 5-8 and had a good time near Sunbreaker. Lots of the usual stunted walleye, but the highlight was a pretty big burbot that we jigged up. Hit like a ton of bricks, and I was sure it had to be a pike, but then the whisker chin came to the surface. My first ever burb, so I was excited to get a pic with that. As always, we are fully CnR, so everything went back to grow! I want nothing more than to catch a 30" walleye on Sylvan one day....here's hoping.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
Went there this morning, got there at 9am cold and windy , choppy as heck. Started picking off the walleyes as that is all we caught. kept a few 18 inchers for supper and threw the 20+ ones back back. Still believe the smaller ones taste better and the bigger ones let them make more smaller ones. Thanks David fir the jig and tail think i will buy some of these, they worked like a charm. Was hoping for some whites but walleys are perfect too. One of these weekends we will meet you guys out there and then go to monkey top for a bevy and some good eats.

Pleased to read you did well & had fun with the family, yup Monkey Top it is.

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
we were out Saturday night between 5-8 and had a good time near Sunbreaker. Lots of the usual stunted walleye, but the highlight was a pretty big burbot that we jigged up. Hit like a ton of bricks, and I was sure it had to be a pike, but then the whisker chin came to the surface. My first ever burb, so I was excited to get a pic with that. As always, we are fully CnR, so everything went back to grow! I want nothing more than to catch a 30" walleye on Sylvan one day....here's hoping.

Well done, share a few pic's next time, and a Burb those are a bit unexpected at this time of year.

D.

There's a local Sylvan Facebook site called "All Season Angling Sylvan Lake" ... I copied these guys pic of some nice Walleye taken in the Marina Bay area, nice to see they were released, too.

D.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:31 AM

Nice walleye there Zip. Thanks for posting those pics.

Yeah, burb in open water if mighty cool. Not a common thing. Keep the fishing reports coming
Old 05-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Well I got sufficiently humbled on Sunday. 11 hours on the water and only managed about 8 walleye. Must have been the old freezer burnt minnows. Spent quite a bit of time fising a bloodworm under an indicator without a single bite. Reminded me why I prefer Pigeon and Buck. Nice boatlaunch at Sunbreakers. Get there early though or it's a very long walk from the overflow trailer parking. Not good if you're launching by yourself.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:03 PM

Zip - thanks for those Walleye pics.... I have hope now! I'm working on rigging a Lowrance Elite Ti 9 on my boat, which will help me a ton in finding 'em.

Meanwhile, here's some pics from our outing Sunday.....

Boat Driving.jpg

Burb.jpg

Walleye 1.jpg

Walleye 2.jpg

Last edited by Poppa; 05-20-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Zip - thanks for those Walleye pics.... I have hope now! I'm working on rigging a Lowrance Elite Ti 9 on my boat, which will help me a ton in finding 'em.

Meanwhile, here's some pics from our outing Sunday.....

Nice pic's, looks like a fun day tks for sharing, electronics will help finding & working structure, wish you all the success this season.

Cheers

D.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:08 PM

Launched the boat on saturday and trolled back to the cabin, caught two within 500 meters of the launch. The first one got to back to grow.

The second got released into the hot oil.

Been waiting for this fishery to open up to catch and keep walleye forever. Hoping this well help knock the numbers down and create some size growth within the population. They seemed to have started to stunt over the last 5 years (though the numbers were great). Not going to always keep one, but it sure is a fantastic treat every couple of weeks.

Whites were also fishing solid this weekend in the shallows.

-J.Paul Getty
Old 05-20-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshot View Post
Launched the boat on saturday and trolled back to the cabin, caught two within 500 meters of the launch. The first one got to back to grow.

The second got released into the hot oil.

Been waiting for this fishery to open up to catch and keep walleye forever. Hoping this well help knock the numbers down and create some size growth within the population. They seemed to have started to stunt over the last 5 years (though the numbers were great). Not going to always keep one, but it sure is a fantastic treat every couple of weeks.

Whites were also fishing solid this weekend in the shallows.

How shallow were the whites? I was in 6-8 FOW all day Sunday. Are folks using bait or just the punkin seed twister tails.