Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-16-2020, 02:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Nafa sale cancelled

https://www.nafa.ca/

6 March 2020

March Auction Cancelled due to Covid-19 and Government of Canada Policy

The Government of Canada, today, announced significant border and travel restrictions that are effective as of Wednesday, March 18th. Fur Harvesters has, therefore, informed NAFA that it is cancelling its upcoming auction in Toronto. NAFA supports this action and has also cancelled its portion of next week’s auction. No new sale date is scheduled at this time.

It is NAFA’s understanding that Fur Harvesters will announce its future auction plans at a later date.

The NAFA catalogue will be made available online at a later date, for Private Treaty sales.

Also following Government of Canada recommendations of social distancing and working from home wherever possible, NAFA will be closing the Toronto building effective immediately, at least until March 30th. Our management and administrative staff will be monitoring their emails, voicemail and taking phone calls via their cellular phones during this time in order to maintain basic services.

We wish you all safe haven during this global health pandemic.

Best regards,

NAFA Communications
Old 03-16-2020, 02:15 PM
AO Sponsor

https://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/pr...seMAR16_20.pdf
Old 03-16-2020, 11:26 PM
AO Sponsor

This is tragic news for our wild fur industry. A sale needs to happen, the goods need to move. The trappers need cash, the auction needs cash, the manufacturers need goods to make their wares, the tanneries desperately need fur.

I know there is much gossip out there that claims that GFW and myself are anti FHA... that is a lie. This industry is too small for enemies, we literally cant afford any, and thats not just empty words or senseless talk. We truly hope for the best for FHA, that they can get jump started to get the wild fur in motion.

Truthfully, many in the fur industry are taking a long hard look at wild fur. They see wild fur as a low cost to produce commodity, compared to ranch mink and ranch fox of which cost to produce is increasing the exponentially! Obviously they arent quite up on our true costs to produce, but it does seem that we will produce goods massively lower than ranch, never mind the troubles of ranch ex. industry not wanting ranchers 5XL foxes because of perceptions that cates cant be made larger, etc

We hope to weather the storm, i certainly hope things dont get worse. Some unforseen catastrophic economic event on top of our stock market woes and about a year from then we might all be wishing we had bought 10 cases of toilet paper like some!!!
Old 03-17-2020, 06:09 AM

Good post Marty. Curious to see what FHA means by online sales? PT sales I’m guessing. Hope they hold the line on prices but seriously doubt it.

Keeps going the way it’s going any fur check money I get is going towards toilet paper I guess lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Fha

Probably best thing to delay sale. We can wait a few months for fur check which will probably be much higher with more buyers in future.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskfly16 View Post
Good post Marty. Curious to see what FHA means by online sales? PT sales I’m guessing. Hope they hold the line on prices but seriously doubt it.

Keeps going the way it’s going any fur check money I get is going towards toilet paper I guess lol.
Didn't NAFA do something similar for online bidders last year or the one before? They shipped out sample pelts to buyers to provide examples of the grades. I think that'd be a good way of conducting business from here on out.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:24 AM

Nafa tried an internet sale like 7 or 8 years ago. Might have been only rats,beavers and coyotes or something like that cant remember.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Nafa tried an internet sale like 7 or 8 years ago. Might have been only rats,beavers and coyotes or something like that cant remember.
This was more recently. I remember someone posting on here that one of their coyote pelts was sold before auction and it turned out that it had been selected to send out as a sample. I can't remember who it was though.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:21 PM

Oh ya that's different dave. They had an actuall entire sale via internet bidding 7 or 8 years ago. What happened with your example was small buyers buying stuff before the sale than paying fair market value after sale was done. That happened every sale.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
This was more recently. I remember someone posting on here that one of their coyote pelts was sold before auction and it turned out that it had been selected to send out as a sample. I can't remember who it was though.
That happened to a select few of us last year before first sale. With fur that was picked to go to the fur show in Japan or China or wherever it was.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:15 PM
Banned

FHA just announced that they are developing a remote auction for buyers.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:26 PM

I'm sure it will be exactly as nafa did 7 or 8 years ago, I would think nafa is probably helping with it.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I'm sure it will be exactly as nafa did 7 or 8 years ago, I would think nafa is probably helping with it.
Would it have been in 2009 during the H1N1 flu outbreak?

How did the auction go?
Old 03-18-2020, 07:04 AM

It would have been around that time, it was like a dec or early jan sale I sold a pile of rats on it. Rats were just starting to boom. I dont remember them doing it again after that but there was also 3 sales back than. A small jan one the big feb one and than may or whatever. I would think coyotes will do good no matter which way they sell them.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:22 AM

Thanks for your post Marty. Nice even handed comments.

Trapping a tough occupation we don't help ourselves by cannibalizing each other. Competition is good.