Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 09:07 AM

Default Will Covid 19 kill Alberta's stocking program?

With Premier Jason Kenny predicting a $20 billion deficit, what are the odds of seeing Jason Nixon's enhanced stocking program dying from a Covid 19 induced budgetary coma?
Old 04-08-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
With Premier Jason Kenny predicting a $20 billion deficit, what are the odds of seeing Jason Nixon's enhanced stocking program dying from a Covid 19 induced budgetary coma?
I bet that is not high on their priority list. Can also see lots of parks people getting let go since all the parks are closed. Going to be a very bad year
Old 04-08-2020, 09:12 AM

I would not jump to any conclusions yet but funding is definitely going to tighten up in my opinion. I bet some projects will be cut this season

No one can really judge how much impact this will have until we are getting to the rebuilding stage. Stocking is very low on the list of concerns may may have in the future
Old 04-08-2020, 09:56 AM

This year no impact I’d say probable scale back in the coming years, hopefully not as our fees are supposed to pay for that but who knows
Old 04-08-2020, 09:56 AM

Won't be affecting this year as the fish are already in the systems growing, it might impact futures tho.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Can you share more information on the "enhanced stocking program"?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Can you share more information on the "enhanced stocking program"?
Direct quotes from 2020 Angling Regs,,, Minister's Message and Important Changes...

"...You will see a lot of the feedback you provided reflected in this 2020 sportfishing guide. Restoring and revitalizing fisheries and enabling a new direction will take time. We have also invested in Alberta hatcheries infrastructure which will become an important basis to our ambitious stocking program in Alberta waterbodies. …."

"….Stocking and Transfers

Alberta Environment and Parks is planning to stock walleye and transfer northern pike and yellow perch to increase fishing opportunities. Fish transfers will focus on re-stocking waters that have experienced fish kills or have recovered from drought conditions. Please know measures will be in place that prevent disease transfer. These programs are planned to begin this spring. Please be aware that these efforts will not likely result in immediate fishing opportunities. Updates on fish stocking and transfer activities will be provided during the year.

Tiger trout are listed as a sport fish in Alberta. Tiger trout stockings have also been expanded to more lakes; please review the site-specific regulations and Alberta’s Stocking Report on MyWildAlberta website.... "
Old 04-08-2020, 11:27 AM

Default Will coved 19 kill

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Like it’s been said, fish stocking will be way down the priority list. I sure hope they don’t abolish it. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Direct quotes from 2020 Angling Regs,,, Minister's Message and Important Changes...

"...You will see a lot of the feedback you provided reflected in this 2020 sportfishing guide. Restoring and revitalizing fisheries and enabling a new direction will take time. We have also invested in Alberta hatcheries infrastructure which will become an important basis to our ambitious stocking program in Alberta waterbodies. …."

"….Stocking and Transfers

Alberta Environment and Parks is planning to stock walleye and transfer northern pike and yellow perch to increase fishing opportunities. Fish transfers will focus on re-stocking waters that have experienced fish kills or have recovered from drought conditions. Please know measures will be in place that prevent disease transfer. These programs are planned to begin this spring. Please be aware that these efforts will not likely result in immediate fishing opportunities. Updates on fish stocking and transfer activities will be provided during the year.

Tiger trout are listed as a sport fish in Alberta. Tiger trout stockings have also been expanded to more lakes; please review the site-specific regulations and Alberta’s Stocking Report on MyWildAlberta website.... "
Appreciate it
Old 04-08-2020, 12:20 PM

Increase license fees 5% and remove free seniors license ( don't whine about affordability if you have $$ for gas to go fishing you can afford a license) No doubt this is unpopular unpopular, but what are you going to do? Alternative is no fish. Times have changed.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Won't be affecting this year as the fish are already in the systems growing, it might impact futures tho.
Correct
Old 04-08-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Increase license fees 5% and remove free seniors license ( don't whine about affordability if you have $$ for gas to go fishing you can afford a license) No doubt this is unpopular unpopular, but what are you going to do? Alternative is no fish. Times have changed.
Even better;
1) Increase license fees to all non Alberta residents
2) Declare all east slope streams as classified waters...non Alberta residents pay $20/day

What's good for the goose....
Old 04-08-2020, 09:04 PM
Banned

Never mind the stocking program.
With most recreational activities shut down everybody and their dog are going to be fishing (unless that is shut down too).
Old 04-08-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Never mind the stocking program.
With most recreational activities shut down everybody and their dog are going to be fishing (unless that is shut down too).
Hey, welcome back Kennie! How long will it be before, well, you know
Old 04-08-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Even better;
2) Declare all east slope streams as classified waters...non Alberta residents pay $20/day

Is there even that many non-Residents fishing the East Slopes anymore? Not that I would be opposed but I don't think it would raise enough funds.

Sask has a voluntary conversation donation when you purchase a license that goes straight into stocking and habitat. I through 50 bucks at it every year. Tax deductible.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Your token increase in licensing fees and tossing seniors aside is the fix? The alternative is no fish? I'm laughing in your general direction
Old 04-08-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Is there even that many non-Residents fishing the East Slopes anymore? Not that I would be opposed but I don't think it would raise enough funds.
Don't know exact numbers...but lots of folks from the province to the west fishing on our side in the pass....plus Americans on the Bow and east slope cutty and brown streams.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:59 PM

There are far more important governmental affairs at hand boys. Look at the state of our highways and other important infrastructure to try and maintain or upgrade. I don't expect rainbow trout stocking into some hopeless winter killed waste of money to be a real high priority at such a time or am I wrong in thinking this way ?
Old 04-09-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Even better;

Quote:

Sask has a voluntary conversation donation when you purchase a license that goes straight into stocking and habitat. I through 50 bucks at it every year. Tax deductible.
Excellent idea Flyrod! Make it $40 per day! Should have been done sometime ago!

I have fished the Oldman, Livingston, Dutch and Racehorse Creek area pretty much all summer for the last seven years. Home away from home for three months every year. Just got real lucky I guess! Sometimes you have to look pretty hard to find Alberta plates! Even on the average day you will find B.C., Montana, Idaho, Washington and even a few Saskatchewan Plates. I don't mind sharing, but it seems fair that these people pay a bit more. Unfortunately it probably wouldn't matter. In all the countless hours of fishing I have been asked for a license......... once!

I hope the stocking program continues, but in the current situation, I really believe we have bigger FISH to fry.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Your token increase in licensing fees and tossing seniors aside is the fix? The alternative is no fish? I'm laughing in your general direction
What's your solution? Why would the province spend one dime on stocking programs when we are heading into the worst economic situation since the Depression?

Increase license by 25% then and Seniors should definitely pay.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
There are far more important governmental affairs at hand boys. Look at the state of our highways and other important infrastructure to try and maintain or upgrade. I don't expect rainbow trout stocking into some hopeless winter killed waste of money to be a real high priority at such a time or am I wrong in thinking this way ?
This. If we want stocked lakes it's going to be user pay or it won't be a priority. Not to stir the pot but is it inconceivable that they could they privatize it? Consessions are sold to private individuals who stock and aerate the lake then hire someone to collect the rod fees and police it? Not sure I would like that.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Here's an alternative:
Quadruple the license fee and leave the seniors alone.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Here's an alternative:
At $120.00 you're going to lose people, no doubt. How is a 17 year old high school student in a better position to spend $120.00 on a fishing license than a 65 year old retiree?
Old 04-09-2020, 02:50 PM

Default are licenses even being sold this year

On the Relm site fishing licenses aren`t included in the options. It`s curious at best.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:31 PM

Bought mine yesterday no problem. Did notice what you mentioned but mine was already in my cart at the time.

Maybe once you buy it is not a option?
Old 04-09-2020, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
At $120.00 you're going to lose people, no doubt. How is a 17 year old high school student in a better position to spend $120.00 on a fishing license than a 65 year old retiree?
I was only serious about "leave the seniors alone".

Had more to say, but I just got out of AO jail so the spotlight is on me and I have to tread lightly........................................... ........... for now.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:12 PM

We should mirror what BC has done, and remove the responsibility of fishing from the government completely. There's not and will never be enough votes at stake for any politician to pay much attention to recreational fishing needs in this province. It's easy to ignore, and difficult to fund.
All of fishing license revenue in BC goes to a 'stand-alone' organization, totally separate and free from government involvement, interference, cutbacks and indifference. Check out the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC for a full appreciation of what can be accomplished with fishing license revenues. In brief :
"Under an agreement signed between the Province and the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC in 2015, 100% of the revenue generated from fishing licences directly benefits recreational fisheries. That’s right, every penny goes into research, conservation and education programs, improving angler access and our stocking program. The Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation receives 100% of the surcharge revenue collected from angling licence sales to provide grants for fish conservation projects."

I would think that the Alberta government would love to have an organization like that to take the thankless job of managing our fisheries, off of their hands !
Old 04-09-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Here's an alternative:
Why would you leave them alone? I have zero issue with free prescriptions and other services but you should have to pay for a luxury irregardless of age. Nobody is going to quit fishing if they have to pay 28 bucks.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why would you leave them alone? I have zero issue with free prescriptions and other services but you should have to pay for a luxury irregardless of age. Nobody is going to quit fishing if they have to pay 28 bucks.
If you think about it, YOU are paying for the Senior licenses. If seniors payed the same as you, licenses could cost about 1/2 and result in the same amount taken in.
I am more than happy for YOU to foot the bill.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
If you think about it, YOU are paying for the Senior licenses. If seniors payed the same as you, licenses could cost about 1/2 and result in the same amount taken in.
I am more than happy for YOU to foot the bill.
I don’t really care about the whole seniors license and think it’s peanuts in the big picture of things but your showing exactly why many fisheries are lacking funding

Everyone wants to scream we need more funding to improve the fishery but a large % thinks someone else should pay for it