Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-15-2011, 02:08 PM

Default Most effective 12 gauge load for bear defense

Last week i asked about people's opinions on a S&W 500 for bear defense.

Unfortunetly i will be heading into the bush faster than originally anticipated, therefore i will unable to purchase a revolver and become comfortable enough with it before i leave. Thus i have decided that i will be lugging a round a 12 gauge pump in the field.

I was wondering if you boys could give me your opinions on what would be the best shot load to use for bear defense? And obviously where could i get some as well.

Thanks guys, looking forward to the answers.

Adrian Karolko
Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM

I like slug, slug, slug, slug, slug, slug and then another slug.

You are going to be making a close range shot on any bear that you need to shoot so it has the stopping power that you're going to want.

I do not like using buckshot as warning shots. I like to put warning shots in close proximity to the bear and I worry about about a stray round ball doing something stupid and hitting it.

I also carry a pen styled bear banger or ones that are usable in the guage but I will finger load them...not carry them in it.

tm

Last edited by Tundra Monkey; 06-15-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 PM

x2 TM
Old 06-15-2011, 02:21 PM

ya slugs. i always have a pack of slugs in my pocket if im in bear country/ camping. i wouldn't trust buckshot enough. slug is raw stopping power lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:35 PM

When I did use a bear carry it was a banger then three rounds of 00-buck and one slug.

A big noise will stop 99% of charges and making noise while hiking will prevent 99%.

Unless you're out hunting give them some warning you're coming and you'll never see them. And no sense in pumping a slug into a bear without giving him a chance to reconsider.

I have spent untold days in the back country and I've never had a need to kill a bear. (except when hunting of course) I've backed away from a few and used a banger once but that was it.

Don't go in looking to kill a bear unless it's a last resort.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:49 PM

hard to put your faith or life on something you have not field tested your self. years ago i shot a big elk at close range,on the run with a 3"slug and when he hit the ground, he never so much as twiched. you have to hit the target though....
Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
hard to put your faith or life on something you have not field tested your self. years ago i shot a big elk at close range,on the run with a 3"slug and when he hit the ground, he never so much as twiched. you have to hit the target though....
Yeah well I'll stick to my bear spray now, I have plenty of faith in that...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
When I did use a bear carry it was a banger then three rounds of 00-buck and one slug.

A big noise will stop 99% of charges and making noise while hiking will prevent 99%.

Unless you're out hunting give them some warning you're coming and you'll never see them. And no sense in pumping a slug into a bear without giving him a chance to reconsider.

I have spent untold days in the back country and I've never had a need to kill a bear. (except when hunting of course) I've backed away from a few and used a banger once but that was it.

Don't go in looking to kill a bear unless it's a last resort.
ShawnM, I would re-evaluate this if I were you.

If you see a bear and he is far enough away to warrant a bear banger....you will have time to finger load one or dig out that pen type banger and use it. Or yell at him and see what his next move is gonna be. If it is close up surprise you will not want that banger as your first option.

Keep in mind that the OP is going to be in grizz country......and Central Barrenground Grizzly to boot. These are the most dangerous of all the grizz as they are predominantly meat eaters and not berry bears. He believes that he is number 1 on the food chain and you are not bigger than him. I agree that 99% of the time a loud noise will effectively end the threat....it's the 1% that can turn chitty in a hurry.

Also, any lethal shot that you take will very likely be head on and very close. If you are going to miss with a slug....you will also miss with buckshot. A lethal shot is a last ditch effort........if you miss it, you're screwed anyway......so don't. IMO you would be better off to hit him with a big chunk of lead rather than a bunch of little ones.....but that is just an opinion.

tm