Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Default Major Gun Retailer, Stops Selling Assault-Style Weapons

One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday that it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/b...le-rifles.html
Old 02-28-2018, 03:51 PM

They weren’t selling half those firearms anyhow...just getting in on the fun of publicity.

LC
Old 02-28-2018, 03:51 PM

I'll assume this is just political signalling....
What is the definition of an Assault Rifle? a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.

No problem they have taken all automatic weapons designed for infantry use of the shelves.

Perhaps I'll be wrong but the way americans buy AR's this won't make share holders happy if they stop selling modern sporting rifles
Old 02-28-2018, 04:22 PM

Not all Dick's outlets sold guns the one in Lake Havesu AZ never did it was up to the franchise owner to decide.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I'll assume this is just political signalling....
What is the definition of an Assault Rifle? a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.
I think in this case they are referring to the media's definition of "assault Rifle" as, according to the article, "AR-15-style and other semiautomatic rifles will no longer be sold in its 35 Field & Stream stores or on its websites".
Old 02-28-2018, 05:01 PM

And now Walmart restricting the purchase of firearms and ammunition to buyers 21 and older.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
And now Walmart restricting the purchase of firearms and ammunition to buyers 21 and older.
Pretty sure that won't stand up in court if anybody challenges it.

You can't blatantly age discriminate based on company policy.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Banned

Unfortunately all they have done is take the anti-gun position that it is the firearms fault and not the user. Interesting if all gun manufactures stop selling any firearms or hunting supplies to Dicks.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Sure you can. Canadian Tire and almost every sporting good store does it on air rifles and air soft. No law against an 8 year buying a pellet gun.u
Old 02-28-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
It is Walmart in the US. Don’t know if they have the same legislation regarding age discrimination?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Sure you can. Canadian Tire and almost every sporting good store does it on air rifles and air soft. No law against an 8 year buying a pellet gun.u
Maybe I should have said you can't legally age discriminate. And like I said, I doubt it will stand up in court when its challenged.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That is not the answer, Dicks is going about it the wrong way....why is this scum bag mad man still alive and not swinging on the end of a rope is the question to be answered...he is a killer whether with a gun or a high speed vehicle through a crowd of people

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-01-2018, 06:16 AM

Definitely wouldn't classify Dick's as a major gun retailer. They are more like a Sport Chek than a gun shop. There is one near our house in the Phoenix area. I was there last week and their selection at that store was very limited, especially any AR type firearms anyway. Limited supply of rifles and shotguns.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:17 AM

No big deal, every dicks store I have been to sucks when it comes to anything hunting or firearm related. I doubt they will see much of a decline in sales.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
...he is a killer whether with a gun or a high speed vehicle through a crowd of people
I've wondered that as well. Hypothetically, if there were no firearms in existence, do people actually think mass killings are going to stop?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday that it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/b...le-rifles.html
What about knives? They kill way more people In This country than black, people in this country are band wagon jumping idiots, this is a prime example!!!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:54 PM

I guess Dcks can sell (or not) what they choose...they are a private business. They are responding to "mass shootings", not "mass knifings".
Old 03-01-2018, 02:40 PM

AR-15s and other assault style firearms have been the weapon of choice behind most of the mass murders in recent years.

If that doesn't make it obvious that these firearms need to be restricted with special licenses in order to own one I don't know what will.

The fact that a 19 year old boy that had been reported to police numerous times, had tried to commit suicide and had threatened to commit school shootings was allowed to buy one of these assault style rifles legally is sickening. The boy did the murdering but all the politicians and people that have opposed proper gun laws in the states are just as much to blame imo.

I commend Dicks and every other company taking a stance on this subject to help avoid future events like this.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
What about knives? They kill way more people In This country than black, people in this country are band wagon jumping idiots, this is a prime example!!!
black rifles that is
Old 03-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
AR-15s and other assault style firearms have been the weapon of choice behind most of the mass murders in recent years.

If that doesn't make it obvious that these firearms need to be restricted with special licenses in order to own one I don't know what will.

The fact that a 19 year old boy that had been reported to police numerous times, had tried to commit suicide and had threatened to commit school shootings was allowed to buy one of these assault style rifles legally is sickening. The boy did the murdering but all the politicians and people that have opposed proper gun laws in the states are just as much to blame imo.

I commend Dicks and every other company taking a stance on this subject to help avoid future events like this.
So should mini-14s be heavily restricted as well?
Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
So should mini-14s be heavily restricted as well?
It is getting to the point where I am starting to think the only firearms people should easily be able to own are single shot hunting rifles or shotguns.

I can understand people wanting to own semi-automatic rifles and shotguns for hunting though. I am just starting to think that there should be some sort of extra steps required to own one. Not restricted level requirements but maybe 1 year of owning a single shot firearm first or something along those lines that would not significantly affect the average hunter but would slow down people thinking of buying a firearm with the intent of committing a crime in the short term future.

Pistols and semi automatic firearms not designed for hunting but for tactical reasons should be restricted. If people want to own them for use at gun ranges etc then let them but make them jump through a few hoops first.

For the most part I think our laws up here are pretty good. The US needs to make some significant changes though.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
It is getting to the point where I am starting to think the only firearms people should easily be able to own are single shot hunting rifles or shotguns.

I can understand people wanting to own semi-automatic rifles and shotguns for hunting though. I am just starting to think that there should be some sort of extra steps required to own one. Not restricted level requirements but maybe 1 year of owning a single shot firearm first or something along those lines that would not significantly affect the average hunter but would slow down people thinking of buying a firearm with the intent of committing a crime in the short term future.

Pistols and semi automatic firearms not designed for hunting but for tactical reasons should be restricted. If people want to own them for use at gun ranges etc then let them but make them jump through a few hoops first.

For the most part I think our laws up here are pretty good. The US needs to make some significant changes though.

Nope, not the answer, why punish/restrict law abiding citizens who enjoy the shooting sports...the answer is in how immediately harsh the criminals are dealt with from death to hard labour camps depending the offence.
Ban this,restrict that, is what the common peasant wants who really does not care about others legal enjoyment but if and it will spill over to other enjoyment so too so tread lightly I say....they might take your kayak away
We need a few good fish pics.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:

How about the government does it’s job and confiscate guns from these kinds of people, and leave us regular people alone.

The laws were in place, the FBI didn’t follow up because they are too busy trying to find any collusion with trump and the Russians.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Nope, not the answer, why punish/restrict law abiding citizens who enjoy the shooting sports...the answer is in how immediately harsh the criminals are dealt with from death to hard labour camps depending the offence.
Ban this,restrict that, is what the common peasant wants who really does not care about others legal enjoyment but if and it will spill over to other enjoyment so too so tread lightly I say....they might take your kayak away
We need a few good fish pics.
How is what I proposed a punishment? It is pretty much the same as our current system minus a small extra requirement for owning a semi automatic. Add in that a person can use such a firearm in the presence of someone qualified(much like how our system works now) and hunters would never have to go without shooting semi automatic firearms. It is small changes like that which can make it much harder for a troubled individual to easily obtain a firearm while not affecting the general hunting populations.

There are laws around kayaking too. Some ridiculous in many situations such as having to carry a whistle, flash light and even a bailing bucket in a sit on top kayak even if I am the only person on a small secluded lake. Guess what though, I don't have a problem with these semi ridiculous laws because I know they do more good then harm.

Firearm owners need to start supporting logical changes to firearm laws(primarily in the USA). The mass opposition to any and all gun law changes in the USA is what brings situations like this along.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...process-second

The longer firearm owners resist any and all changes the more likely radical changes like this have of occurring. If firearm owners don't want to lose their firearm rights then start proposing and supporting the minimum laws required to help avoid situations like what is happening now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
How about the government does it’s job and confiscate guns from these kinds of people, and leave us regular people alone.

The laws were in place, the FBI didn’t follow up because they are too busy trying to find any collusion with trump and the Russians.
I admit it sounds like the proper steps weren't taken in this last case but that doesn't change that there are other issues with the laws that allowed him and others to obtain dangerous firearms, bump stocks, high capacity magazines etc in the first place.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
How is what I proposed a punishment? It is pretty much the same as our current system minus a small extra requirement for owning a semi automatic. Add in that a person can use such a firearm in the presence of someone qualified(much like how our system works now) and hunters would never have to go without shooting semi automatic firearms. It is small changes like that which can make it much harder for a troubled individual to easily obtain a firearm while not affecting the general hunting populations.

There are laws around kayaking too. Some ridiculous in many situations such as having to carry a whistle, flash light and even a bailing bucket in a sit on top kayak even if I am the only person on a small secluded lake. Guess what though, I don't have a problem with these semi ridiculous laws because I know they do more good then harm.

Firearm owners need to start supporting logical changes to firearm laws(primarily in the USA). The mass opposition to any and all gun law changes in the USA is what brings situations like this along.

The longer firearm owners resist any and all changes the more likely radical changes like this have of occurring. If firearm owners don't want to lose their firearm rights then start proposing and supporting the minimum laws required to help avoid situations like what is happening now.

I admit it sounds like the proper steps weren't taken in this last case but that doesn't change that there are other issues with the laws that allowed him and others to obtain dangerous firearms, bump stocks, high capacity magazines etc in the first place.

High capacity mags is an anti-gunner term. They are normal capacity magazines. We have neutered mags in Canada and some States put restrictions on them as well.

The AR15 is no more dangerous than any other semi-auto. One could argue its even less dangerous than a handgun because they cannot be concealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:

Law enforcement neglected to investigate this guy who had over 40 complaints on him and they did nothing. Thousands of innocent gun owners are defending their rights and it is their fault? Ya, that is rational thinking
Old 03-02-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Punishment as in a long drawn out money grabbing process that will not work anyways because people kill people, always have and always will.
The cure is in the law changing how we treat our criminals.
A billion shots are fired daily in the hands of law abiding citizens...fire a few from a maniac and the world wants changes to the weapons etc...not the answer.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:32 PM

The sad thing is ban the sale of all guns would not make a difference at this point when statistics show there are 40 guns for every man women and child in the us. What’s a few more going to do
Old 03-02-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
The sad thing is ban the sale of all guns would not make a difference at this point when statistics show there are 40 guns for every man women and child in the us. What’s a few more going to do
You aren't serious, are you? Tell me its just a typo and you don't honestly believe that...
Old 03-02-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Your serious ??? ... knife attacks...vehicle attacks... bombings....aircraft bombing or suicides.....mass poisonings... Have you called for the ban of all these things as well??????....
The logic of the LEFT leaves me to believe they have no LOGIC....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.