Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
What's wrong with shooting G Squirrels with anything other than a restricted firearm ?... like a 10/22. At least the public doesn't view them as something that belongs in Afghanistan. In todays world that type of Tactical related stuff goes over like a turd in a punchbowl. Nothing like seeing a couple of guys on or off the road, in full camo or otherwise, packing AR Military style rifles. That's the part that a lot of us don't grasp. We see it our way. The older generation public sees an image that doesn't relate to any type of Game hunting that they have ever seen in their lives before. Wannabe Tacticool, they will see it that way and react accordingly, especially after a few school shootings with the same type of Firearm .. It's all about the Granny scarin' image.. and clueless or not, the Granny types ,regardless how much they may know about firearms, have the numbers both in the general population and in the political arenas and sadly, they have a running start on getting these "weapons" out of their sight. Maybe we should consider leaving well enough alone.
Someone that has no clue about firearms won't know the difference between a 10/22, a mini 14 or an AR-15. If they are paranoid about firearms, they could feel threatened by seeing any of them. And even the more knowledgeable people could easily mistake a 10/22 with a tactical looking stock for an AR-15 from a distance. And it is a current trend to dress up the 10/22 to look like a tactical rifle, there are several kits available to accomplish this. So do we ban all of the tactical looking rifles, and the kits to make 10/22 rifles look tactical as well, because someone might see them and feel threatened/
Old 03-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Wrong again. It is called perceived safety. People don't have to be at actual risk in order to think they are.

A similar analogy would be walking around the city holding a fillet knife. It is not a danger to anyone but it is illegal because others may perceive it as being dangerous.
Haha. That is ... the only proper words would get me banned.

So if someone perceives my baseball bat to be dangerous, should we restrict them?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Someone that has no clue about firearms won't know the difference between a 10/22, a mini 14 or an AR-15. If they are paranoid about firearms, they could feel threatened by seeing any of them. And even the more knowledgeable people could easily mistake a 10/22 with a tactical looking stock for an AR-15 from a distance. And it is a current trend to dress up the 10/22 to look like a tactical rifle, there are several kits available to accomplish this. So do we ban all of the tactical looking rifles, and the kits to make 10/22 rifles look tactical as well, because someone might see them and feel threatened/
Whatever image you want to portray Elk. Trends will be trends. There's another trend out there that a lot of "gun people" are either missing or not paying much attention to as well. Maybe we will have a brilliant answer to that one as well.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Whatever image you want to portray Elk. Trends will be trends. There's another trend out there that a lot of "gun people" are either missing or not paying much attention to as well. Maybe we will have a brilliant answer to that one as well.
In anticipation of upcoming restrictions, I sold all of my restricted firearms when Trudeau won the election. That being said , just because I don't have any, I am not prepared to throw the people that own them under the bus. If firearms owners don't support each other, we will all end up losing our firearms.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
the problem that people like yourself have, is that you want to implement further firearms legislation without first understanding the current legislation and firearms classification system. In order to make educated suggestions about our firearms regulations and classification system, you need to have an in depth knowledge of both, not just an opinion based on comments that have been posted. As such, your suggestions are based on ignorance, not on knowledge, so i can't take your opinion seriously.
this
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
And what trend is that, O Wise One?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:57 PM

Ravyak, you obviously don't understand guns and gun laws very well here in Canada based on your comments. I happen to feel that it's only intelligent to lobby for or stand behind legislation when you do understand pretty closely the reasons, background, intended and real effect, etc. Personally I'd feel pretty stupid making up my mind about an issue and commenting on it in public without a decent understanding.

Perceived safety? OMG... I have a perceived safety issue when I see ignorance being bandied about and imagine those people at voting booths and standing behind new laws to be written.

And btw, you said "AR-15s and other assault style firearms have been the weapon of choice behind most of the mass murders in recent years." (Me: Wrong. Handguns have been. See... basic facts.)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
And what trend is that, O Wise One?
Just look around and pay a bit of attention ..no real wisdom required.

Since they were first introduced, the AR style rifles were seen by some as a neat new shooting tool .. and they are. However there were many more who viewed it as a tool of combat and a lethal weapon that had no place in any application other than Military or Law Enforcement. Unfortunately, due to some mass shootings, not only in the US, that destructive ability has been viewed by millions and proven to be true. Today it has, rightly or wrongly, become a symbol of mass destruction... especially the destruction of vulnerable children and young people. If we can stop the rapidly rising tide of those who recognize and support that symbol, there may be a chance to see high capacity mags and similarly styled firearms become readily available and visible everywhere. Until then, it may be best to accept the fact that they are simply not cool anymore. A few weirdos have seen to that.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:

Since they were first introduced, the AR style rifles were seen by some as a neat new shooting tool .. and they are. However there were many more who viewed it as a tool of combat and a lethal weapon that had no place in any application other than Military or Law Enforcement. Unfortunately, due to some mass shootings, not only in the US, that destructive ability has been viewed by millions and proven to be true. Today it has, rightly or wrongly, become a symbol of mass destruction... especially the destruction of vulnerable children and young people. If we can stop the rapidly rising tide of those who recognize and support that symbol, there may be a chance to see high capacity mags and similarly styled firearms become readily available and visible everywhere. Until then, it may be best to accept the fact that they are simply not cool anymore. A few weirdos have seen to that.
You could have just said the trend of social justice. Not known to be a good thing.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
You can't stop these people from committing crimes but you can limit their effectiveness by making it more difficult for them to obtain dangerous firearms, explosives etc...

Your argument that people are going to try to kill people no matter what we do so might as well make it so they have easy access to dangerous weapons literally makes zero sense... Should we start selling dynamite in the streets? Automatic firearms? Grenades?

I mean "people kill people, always have and always will" so it won't change anything right???

WRONG...

Meh....take a walk around Edmonton....for instance and within an hour you can be hooked up with what ever you need....criminal intentions are not going to be stopped by putting up road blocks for law abiding citizens to enjoy the shooting sports...people are going to live in thier fake world of being safe by creating more laws, banning things when like I said the problem is not dealing with criminals properly....this killer kid is enjoying three great meals, probably TV, Internet etc....should have been put down a week ago...but that's too harsh as he has rights and it was the systems fault that he got access to guns....yeah right!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-03-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Given that the AR-15 has never been the firearm used in a mass shooting in Canada, banning it will not reduce the number of shooting sprees in Canada.The media is trying to portray the AR-15 as being evil and destructive, but if the AR -15 is banned, they will just shift the focus to another type of firearm. They are many other types of firearms that can do just as much or more damage, so the people intent on killing others will just choose one of them. Then the media will go after all semi auto firearms, including the shotguns commonly used by hunters, and the rimfires used to shoot ground squirrels. The shootings won't stop, so the media, and the anti gun crowd will then go after the pump actions. The people that want more restrictions will not quit until they get all firearms banned, so all that we can hope to do is to delay them. The quicker we concede to abandon one type of firearm, the quicker that they will move on to trying to ban the next type. So we as firearms owners must decide to either support each other, or to abandon each other, and lose one type of firearm after another, until we lose them all.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Haha. That is ... the only proper words would get me banned.

So if someone perceives my baseball bat to be dangerous, should we restrict them?
Maybe we should restrict the size of the spoon that feeds the people to the point they are a complete unhealthy sack of crap....where does this madness end

I am going out to plink with my 10/22 now...yup it's black and I can rip off a bunch of rounds real quick making the steel targets dance

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-03-2018, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Maybe we should restrict the size of the spoon that feeds the people to the point they are a complete unhealthy sack of crap....where does this madness end

I am going out to plink with my 10/22 now...yup it's black and I can rip off a bunch of rounds real quick making the steel targets dance

The only reason that is safe is because you are limited to 10 rnds. 25 and you would be sure to cause mayhem.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Banned

I would welcome being able to shoot my restricted firearms on my land but I think doing this would be the demise of many shooting ranges. Unlike you elk I've been buying restricted firearms since the turd.

In my mind if someone wants to mass murder people they'll do it regardless of what is banned and what isn't. Wonder how banning semi auto that kill a couple of dozen people at at a time would result in maybe mass murders changing there weapon of choice to barrels of diesel fuel and fertilizer. More were killed with this method in one instant then the most recent mass shootings. Weigh the good with the bad. Chlorine gas is another method that can be home built. What's to say someone intent on killing students doesn't barricade himself in a full classroom and release chlorine gas. All dead instead of some.

I guess what I'm saying is in all the of ways to accumulate mass numbers of murder victims at a time a ar or any semi auto/full auto would have the least numbers.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Banned

Default Just an update

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/no...c6NrnjBZ907QuI

The CEO of Dick’s Sporting Goods told investors during the Goldman Sachs Retailing Conference that the company’s anti-gun stance has negatively impacted business to the point where they’re considering closing their Field & Stream stores.

Earlier this year, the sporting goods store raised their minimum age requirement for firearm purchases from 18 to 21. They also removed all assault-style weapons from their stores.

The company suffered greatly as a result of their anti-gun stance. Dick’s share price dropped more than 4 percent and store growth is beginning to stagnate.<snip>
It seems like the company’s gun ban has turned into a crisis. Both customers and vendors won’t do business with them anymore. It won’t be long until more investors start dropping them as well.<snip>
In an attempt to salvage their crumbling company, Dick’s is considering closing down all 35 of their outdoor-focused Field & Stream stores.

“My sense is that we can either take a look at closing that store, that concept, or re-conceptualizing it into a more of an outdoor-type concept,” Stack said.

It’s not surprising that customers want to take their business elsewhere. By taking such an anti-gun stance, law-abiding gun owners feel disrespected. Millions of Americans own guns and Dick’s told them to take their business elsewhere.

Dick’s turned its back on customers and they are paying the price.