Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 06:25 AM

Default Best bait for mouse trap

What are you guys using for bait for your mouse traps? The rotten little buggers chewed the felt between my driveway and garage pad to get in. I have caught 4, plugged their entry with steel wool, but have a smart bugger who is licking the peanut butter clean. I switched to ham last night figuring he woudn't be able to get that without tripping the trap, but he did. I need something that will stick good.

What are you guys using that doesn't come off easy?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:31 AM

Cheez Whiz works also. Sometimes the best is to put a ramp on top of a 5 gal.pailthat has a little tetter -totter built into it that dumps the culprit into the pail and resets itself. Bait the end of the tettet-totter
Old 12-03-2018, 06:34 AM

i've had good luck with the black plastic Victor mouse traps that have a cover over the bait with a little hole in it . as the mouse pushes his nose through to get to the bait , snap!
Old 12-03-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i've had good luck with the black plastic Victor mouse traps that have a cover over the bait with a little hole in it . as the mouse pushes his nose through to get to the bait , snap!
That's the one I am using
Old 12-03-2018, 06:41 AM

I use bacon. Fry up a slice, cut a strip of meat, tie it to the trigger. If that doesn't work, try cheeze whiz. Put a dab on the trigger and let it dry. Or you could try a piece of string or felt with your peanut butter.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I use bacon. Fry up a slice, cut a strip of meat, tie it to the trigger. If that doesn't work, try cheeze whiz. Put a dab on the trigger and let it dry. Or you could try a piece of string or felt with your peanut butter.
Excellent idea
Old 12-03-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
What are you guys using for bait for your mouse traps? The rotten little buggers chewed the felt between my driveway and garage pad to get in. I have caught 4, plugged their entry with steel wool, but have a smart bugger who is licking the peanut butter clean. I switched to ham last night figuring he woudn't be able to get that without tripping the trap, but he did. I need something that will stick good.

Problem isn't the bait it is the trap. Try this type of trap. I switched a few years ago and the mice don't get away. As soon as they poke their nose into the bait well the trap goes off.

Just saw these are what you are using, must be a real small mouse if he can get the bait without moving the trigger. Try putting a piece of paper/thin cardboard across the opening, on the inside, so he has to push that over to get at the bait.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Problem isn't the bait it is the trap. Try this type of trap. I switched a few years ago and the mice don't get away. As soon as they poke their nose into the bait well the trap goes off.

Where do you get them???

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 AM

Home Depot or Rona is where I got the last ones.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 AM

Peanut butter, sticks to the trap and they have to work to get it. Don’t just drop it on the trap, really squeeze it in there.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:03 AM

I like the old all wood/metal traps, they can be set to be more sensitive than most other types, and it is more difficult for the mouse to get the bait without tripping them. If it's warm, peanut butter or Cheez Whiz both work well, but in an unheated garage, they don't work nearly as well. Tie wrap a piece of bacon to the trigger.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:04 AM

Fruit loop, hot melt glued to the trigger, they need to stay and chew on on fruit loop and well snap
Old 12-03-2018, 07:04 AM

I use a half way cooked piece of bacon, so it’s still flexible and stringy, I strip the pape or plastic coating off of a twist tie, I use that wire to tie on the bacon. We have caught dozens this way with the same piece of bacon 👍.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:15 AM

Use the sticky pad for the hard to get ones. Little peanut butter in the middle. Never had one get off.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:25 AM

Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart all have them. Amazon Canada has them too if you have Amazon prime and want them delivered. Lowes is the cheapest, 3 for the price others sell two.

https://www.lowes.ca/mouse-traps-rat..._g1588127.html

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/victor-.../6000196216120

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ill+mouse+trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Just saw these are what you are using, must be a real small mouse if he can get the bait without moving the trigger. Try putting a piece of paper/thin cardboard across the opening, on the inside, so he has to push that over to get at the bait.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:29 AM

Jujube gummy candies
Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 AM

Raisins work well, jam one in and they can’t resist it or...easily get it out.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 AM

raisins and/or peanut butter.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:38 AM

Default Best bait for mouse trap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Well I used to use a slices of bacon but that didn't go very well. I have tried different kinds of ham even cheese but the traps were always empty: no bait, no mouse. Than my friend recommended me to put pieces of chocolates in traps and it worked.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:45 AM

Try a little experiment, line 3 or 4 traps up with different bait, when/if one gets hit more then the others, you’ll know what to do.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 AM

One member on here stated a few years ago that Tootsie Rolls are like crack for mice.

Heat it up, and then put it in the trap, that way they have to chew, not lick.

I have some like the OP uses, but I mainly use this kind:

What I like about it is that it's fairly sensitive, and I squish peanut butter right into the little holes in the paddle. When I clean them out, I often see that they had consumed much of the bait before the trap went off - so it built confidence while feeding.

I also use the multi-catch electronic ones - they zap the mouse, and then flip them into a bin. I run those in the trailer, since I can't get to the trailer that often.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:54 AM

Are you trapping mice or voles. Voles best baited with piece of apple, they look like mice but shorter tail. Victor old wood traps best with copper plate.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 AM

I have had good luck with these. We had one mouse in the basement and it made quick work of it. Just laid a few out around the basement. I also keep a few laid out in the garage and has caught quite a few.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:56 AM

As stinky mentioned we used a Victor electronic one recently with some PB in it. Got 9 in one night and haven’t seen one since. You can hear it zap them so you know when to dump them and start again. Fairly easy and another gutless method really
Old 12-03-2018, 08:03 AM
Banned

I use the good old wooden standard traps with peanut butter.
What I found however is that you have to use pliers to flatten out the little retaining hump...to the point that it is very, very sensitive, to the point that you have to be real careful setting it in position.
But it works every time. In fact I am not ashamed to brag that one day I came home and their were three mice in one trap
Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 AM

Good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-KYGvYsNc
Old 12-03-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Try a little experiment, line 3 or 4 traps up with different bait, when/if one gets hit more then the others, you’ll know what to do.
Sounds like fun!
Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Safeset is the only trap I'll use these days. Tried most others, all had issues.
These have never give me grief since I found them twenty years ago.

I found that with the other brands the bait would get stolen because if they weren't tuned perfectly they were too hard for small mice to trip.

I've never had that problem with the safeset traps and they are so east to set. And no tuning ever needed.

Peanut butter is the only bait I use these days, for the same reason.
I've tried raisins and cheese, candy and assorted other condiments.

The only thing that I've tried that came close to the ease of use and effectiveness of peanut butter was Cheese Whiz but I think peanut butter has the edge because it smells stronger.

I use sonic deterrents inside. In spaces my pets don't go. Like in the basement. Some seem to work well, others not at all.

I've had the best results with Woodstream pest chasers.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2018, 09:33 AM

Old school mouse trap, peanut butter that has a couple of wraps of scotch tape over the peanut butter. Never had one get away once I started using the tape.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:34 AM

I always thread dental floss into loops/balls around the trigger plate and smush peanut butter into it.
They tug on it while trying to get the peanut butter off and my catch rate went up