Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 10:14 AM

Default Same

I am using it too. This works better.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:21 AM

All I ever use is Peanut butter. Sticks to the trap and lasts forever
Old 12-03-2018, 10:40 AM

I have a typical 40 yr old detached garage with a concrete pad that bows up in the center. Even with foam screwed to the bottom to keep leaves out, the mice have easy access. I catch more mice with these traps and peanut butter than any other. Some are smart and can get the prize once or twice without setting them off but all get snapped soon enough.

jpg.gif Mouse trap.jpg (16.6 KB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mouse trap.jpg (16.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post

I have had good luck with these. We had one mouse in the basement and it made quick work of it. Just laid a few out around the basement. I also keep a few laid out in the garage and has caught quite a few.
A freind in BC caught a whole family of rats on one of these, when he pulled out the pellet gun they a started to scream like baby children, they really sounded like terrified children sreaming for their lives... i can still here them screaming for their lives as they watched each other being murdered one by one, i had to leave when the young one began to chew on it's ankles in a desperate attempt to free itself before it's turn.

I would go with the snap traps.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
A freind in BC caught a whole family of rats on one of these, when he pulled out the pellet gun they a started to scream like baby children, they really sounded like terrified children sreaming for their lives... i can still here them screaming for their lives as they watched each other being murdered one by one, i had to leave when the young one began to chew on it's ankles in a desperate attempt to free itself before it's turn.

I would go with the snap traps.

Geezz, that's brutal. I couldn't do it. But I can sure understand how someone could. Some times they do inspire the dark side in me. And I thiink about wanting to do things like that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Geezz, that's brutal. I couldn't do it. But I can sure understand how someone could. Some times they do inspire the dark side in me. And I thiink about wanting to do things like that.
Same here - Although re-reading that chapter about Mr. Smith's torture in Orwell's 1984 might be a good motivator...
Old 12-03-2018, 01:12 PM

The OP mentioned putting steel wool into the mouses hole. Just wondering who held the mouse?

If mice keep coming to a building or car go around the perimeter and spray bleach to wipe out any scent trails the mice are using. Spray out 3 to 6 feet from the foundation or access points. Future mice won't smell their way to your building. If you are putting steel wool in access holes rub some Vick's vaporub into the steel wool and mice will avoid the hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mice.jpg (58.7 KB, 52 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-03-2018, 02:30 PM

I can vouch for the trap with the red hammer, those mice never get away and are dead instantly. I've also have had fantastic luck with peanut butter. One time I walked into my shed and heard a SNAP! Mouse was barely quivering when I walked over. That hammer breaks their neck, so they never survive. Once I had a mouse open the trigger from the side, and even though it didn't break it's neck, it hit it's head and you can imagine what that did.

Those traps are hard to find locally, they get sold out very quick. I would like to get some more. Not a fan of the sticky traps either, to me that is just torturing them, rather they don't know what happened and go in peace. lol
Old 12-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Used the spring loaded traps and the glue ones. The glue ones worked way better! Caught an adult and a baby mice in a few of them. Then just throw them out in a garbage.
Also, as a deterrent, use the cotton balls with a few drops of the peppermint oil on them and spread them around the area. Mice will be gone in no time!
Old 12-03-2018, 05:37 PM

The trap line is set. Two new styles of trap baited with peanut butter coated raisins or peanut butter coated chocolate chips. Tonight they die!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2018, 05:50 PM

Peanut butter, molasses, quick oats in equal parts works quite well for myself. Catching plenty using this combo on the $1 victor wooden traps. 1/4 teaspoon on each trap seems to be the ticket.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The OP mentioned putting steel wool into the mouses hole. Just wondering who held the mouse?

OMG you almost did me in with that one. My twisted mind came up with some pretty interesting pictures to go with that comment !!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2018, 05:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Peanut butter, molasses, quick oats in equal parts works quite well for myself. Catching plenty using this combo on the $1 victor wooden traps. 1/4 teaspoon on each trap seems to be the ticket.

I never thought of Molassas. That sounds like a GREAT idea!! I gotta try it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I never thought of Molassas. That sounds like a GREAT idea!! I gotta try it.
I love molassas, just can't resist it, I put it in a mouse trap once, man them things hurt when they snap shut on your tongue...
Old 12-03-2018, 07:28 PM

Just adopt him and get it over with.

Or you could put an old TV in your garage and turn it to CBC. Neighbors problem in no time. If they run a sequence of Trudeau speeches he'll likely commit suicide.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 PM

Default Mouse traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I like the old all wood/metal traps, they can be set to be more sensitive than most other types, and it is more difficult for the mouse to get the bait without tripping them. If it's warm, peanut butter or Cheez Whiz both work well, but in an unheated garage, they don't work nearly as well. Tie wrap a piece of bacon to the trigger.
I do believe this fine gent has trapped a few mice, mouse trappers pay attention
Old 12-03-2018, 10:22 PM

If you have a lot of mice, I find the 5 gallon pail works wonders. A wooden ramp up the one side and a narrow wooden piece across the top (max 1.5” wide). A few pieces of cat or dog food in the pail and the mice will willingly hop down there. Once one is in there, the others will join it and it’s practically unlimited capacity. One year when the river flooded the fields near our place and we had an infestation in our sheds, we were catching 3 to 8 a night in these per pail.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
What are you guys using for bait for your mouse traps? The rotten little buggers chewed the felt between my driveway and garage pad to get in. I have caught 4, plugged their entry with steel wool, but have a smart bugger who is licking the peanut butter clean. I switched to ham last night figuring he woudn't be able to get that without tripping the trap, but he did. I need something that will stick good.

What are you guys using that doesn't come off easy?
I jam a bread crust under the teeth on the trap, never had one cleaned off yet
Old 12-03-2018, 10:57 PM
Banned

I have a shed full of expired dog food that I use for bait and I have more than a few mice in there. I don’t even bother baiting the traps anymore. I put a board along the wall to make a little tunnel for them to travel through and use the Victors with the large plastic pan trigger. I just catch them when they are travelling around and step on the trigger.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I have a shed full of expired dog food that I use for bait and I have more than a few mice in there. I don’t even bother baiting the traps anymore. I put a board along the wall to make a little tunnel for them to travel through and use the Victors with the large plastic pan trigger. I just catch them when they are travelling around and step on the trigger.
Hmmm... maybe if you didn't have a shed full of expired dog food the mice would leave.

The pic is of the best mouse trap. It was patented in 1882 in the USA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mousetrap.jpg (20.4 KB, 57 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-04-2018, 01:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Hmmm... maybe if you didn't have a shed full of expired dog food the mice would leave.
Rule #1 - Never pass on an opportunity for bait.

I’ve been waiting on cold weather to make foodcicles in 5 gallon pails. I can tolerate mice until then.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:51 AM

I like the 5 gallon pail with a water bottle that can spin mounted horizontally near the top of the pail. Put some water or rv antifreeze in the pail and peanut butter on the bottle. I use this in the yard and found that instead of using a ramp, placing it next to cariganas or the wood pile gets better results.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2018, 05:56 AM

Heard used cat litter in a pail works as a smell deterrent. Otherwise I use regular cheap snap traps with one live trap for the smart ones.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-04-2018, 06:23 AM

Hot pepperoni it has worked for me
Old 12-04-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Problem isn't the bait it is the trap. Try this type of trap. I switched a few years ago and the mice don't get away. As soon as they poke their nose into the bait well the trap goes off.

Just saw these are what you are using, must be a real small mouse if he can get the bait without moving the trigger. Try putting a piece of paper/thin cardboard across the opening, on the inside, so he has to push that over to get at the bait.

this is the one ! i have never lost bait in one of these .
Old 12-04-2018, 07:32 AM

If you can use poison it is much more effective than traps IMO.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
If you can use poison it is much more effective than traps IMO.
Dogs are often with me in garage
Old 12-04-2018, 10:20 AM

How did your trap line workout? Did the new Victor Quick Kills do the Job?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
How did your trap line workout? Did the new Victor Quick Kills do the Job?
Yeah, inquiring minds want know.

And we, or at least I, want you to get em. I don't like paper bags.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 PM

I just use peanut butter

And if not allready mentioned

But another one you could try is get a 4 litre or something similiar ice cream pale. Half full of water or so. Run a wooden dowl thru with a expired TP roll on it. Put cheez whiz or peanut butter or whatever on the expired TP skeleton , has the side benefit of help trapping the decaying mouse smell for a while since the bodies are immersed in water. Can set up and forget for 5 days.

Have put near camper trailer wheels and underneath trailer , left and got 4