Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Default Bow beat me again

So i have used nymphs, streamers, on the fly and rapalas cd 7 and 5 on the spin-caster and i am still coming up with no fish! trying many different pools but no luck. This river has really bruised my fishing confidence. i just cant catch a break
Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidsburyBowHunter View Post
So i have used nymphs, streamers, on the fly and rapalas cd 7 and 5 on the spin-caster and i am still coming up with no fish! trying many different pools but no luck. This river has really bruised my fishing confidence. i just cant catch a break
when your nymphing are you getting hung up on the occasional drift?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
when your nymphing are you getting hung up on the occasional drift?
once every couple casts yes.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
once every couple casts yes.
thats good......is you indicator big enough to be afloat most of the time?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 PM

yup! and still nothing. I even resorted to the spin cast today with the crank baits but absolutely nothing.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 PM

where you fishing?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 PM

have fished up stream and down from the glenmore bridge. and at carbum park both sides up and downstream. i just don't get it
Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 PM

well 3 more buddies picked up more flies this afternoon....they have been doing really well..im not far off the southern part of the bow in the city limits....drop by before you hit the water im pretty sure i can help you...at least i'll try
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM

try a whole new location...that river killed me pretty hard the first couple times i went out. i talked to a buddy that used to work at bass pro and told me a vey great tip...a tip that changed bow river fishing for me and trout fishing forever that was dont over look shallow water.shallow water that you can see through will hold a ton of fish and most of the fish in that river are within 10-20feet max from shore in most places. some iv seen sipping midges right off a rock. to the untrained eye you dont see it. leave your rod at home and go for a walk by the river it gives you a new point of veiw on the river and whats going on without scary anyfish. find out what brown trout backs look like and you can point them out at even 20feet from shore by looking for flashes and movement. my faorite lure for browns which i lost and caugth my first brown trout somewhere around 25 inches is now lost on the NSR. on the bridge. its silver with one blue stripe and very slim with a heavey side to it.
crocs spoon to be exact. some places on the bow i find dont have anyfish(any i can see) try below the city and blindcast and take note on to where you cast from there you should be able to know where there holding
Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 PM

for sure! i'm just used to small rivers like the raven and the dogpound. the bow is just too unfamiliar and big.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
have fished up stream and down from the glenmore bridge. and at carbum park both sides up and downstream. i just don't get it
i caught my first brown trout under the bridge went back figured out how to catch them and started exploring differnt areas using the same technque there are some hogs under that bridge. 25 inchers and burbot.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 PM

just look at it from run to run...break it down into sections....its like eating a barrel of KFC..1 piece at a time
Old 04-12-2011, 09:07 PM

are you talking about my massive post lol?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 PM

Yep. fishhunter is right about closer to shore. Ive never fished the bow river, but fished the nsr near rocky mountain house and all the browns iv caught have been closer to shore or right off shore hiding behind a rock or small eddie. I was casting all day without any luck out far and changed up my tactics and started catching trout near shore. The fish aren't huge, maybe 1-2lbs but still alot of fun.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 PM

i can recognize holes i must just be fishing them wrong.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 PM

do you know what a pool is? i find most of the browns are near the fast current especialy the big ones feeding off of the chubs,bows and the faster converabelt. this maskes sit ideal so you can mess up your presenattion and still get results instead of going to a pool where they inspect your bait thuroly before striking. " a fish must mae a dission to eat or go hungry" if its worth striking theyll eat it.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 PM

i have been fishing right on the shore and i have been fishing in fast water. with everything i have with me and just nothing
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 PM

sorry i didnt make this too clear. fish the slower water right beside the faster water when a little trout or minnow/bugs float by they dart out towards it like a food funnel. so cast into the slower water beside the faster water theres lots of em upstream at glenmore on is right before the bridge. exact place whre i landed my 25 incher first brown! it should still be there too. watch and wait for him to sipp some midges find out the exact location then cast before him.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 PM

right on shore? not fishing from shore but casting along the shoreline up or down stream.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 PM

water is still really cold so you have to fish the deep water, look for deep chop black water that is not smooth. Try fishing around fishcreek.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 PM

Be honest if u caught a fish today I will be surprised.
U just happened to be fished at the wrong time.
The water gets even dirtier and lots of crap float around today. It's just not a good time to fish the bow river.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
right on shore? not fishing from shore but casting along the shoreline up or down stream.
no actually fishing from shore because my waders are at home and right now it would be too much of a hassle to drive home just to get them. so i'm stuck on the shore till may.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM

I got some rainbows today swinging leeches with the spey rod. They were in walking pace water about 2 feet deep
Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 PM

the Bow is hardly brain science....ignore the surface activity right now..its not high percentage. Fish the current breaks and deep runs these are high percentage spots right now, wether they are shore related or not. most of the concentrations of fish are still in winter runs. Runs with gravel riffles dropping into holding water.
Stick on a bobber onto a heavy butt section, forget the fancy tappered leaders, most are too big in diameter to allow fast sinking. Go to a straight section of flouro leader....tie on stone imitations(big) clamp on heavy splitshot 10 inches above. Chuck and duck.
as with all indicator fishing mend like crazy try to keep the fly directly under the indicator. Once your leader is set to ocaasionaly hang up, strike at every movement of the indicator.
If the water is off colored...run flashback nymphs with big profiles.
Keep the fancy false casts for later...this is not pretty...lift, heave, chuck and duck.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 PM

thanks for all of the tips guys! ill be heading out again this weekend and see what i can bring in!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
the Bow is hardly brain science....ignore the surface activity right now..its not high percentage. Fish the current breaks and deep runs these are high percentage spots right now, wether they are shore related or not. most of the concentrations of fish are still in winter runs. Runs with gravel riffles dropping into holding water.
Stick on a bobber onto a heavy butt section, forget the fancy tappered leaders, most are too big in diameter to allow fast sinking. Go to a straight section of flouro leader....tie on stone imitations(big) clamp on heavy splitshot 10 inches above. Chuck and duck.
as with all indicator fishing mend like crazy try to keep the fly directly under the indicator. Once your leader is set to ocaasionaly hang up, strike at every movement of the indicator.
If the water is off colored...run flashback nymphs with big profiles.
Keep the fancy false casts for later...this is not pretty...lift, heave, chuck and duck.
and ill defiantly be doing some duckin and chuckin
Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 PM

this will also ruffle the feathers of the River runs through it crowd

Forget the dainty strike indicators....they cant hold the weight in deep fast water and are a pain to adjust. Crappy tire sells a perfect styrofoam bobber with clips on both ends...wont crack...wont slip...bright orange...super easy to adjust.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
i caught my first brown trout under the bridge went back figured out how to catch them and started exploring differnt areas using the same technque there are some hogs under that bridge. 25 inchers and burbot.
where you right under the bridge? and what side where you on if you were?