Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM

Default Diehard fishermen

Hats off to the 3 people I could see fishing the Bow 3-400 yards upstream of Glenmore Tr. bridge about 1.5-2.0 hrs ago. Chilly weather and rain. I can only imagine how numb the hands were getting.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 AM

I have been watching people all year there, same with a little farther up closer to the treatment plant. They park beside the LaFarge plant at the end of the road, then walk through the new tree sanctuary? I think it is supposed to be.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Your right. It's not uncommon to see people in that area fishing and I have seen people fishing when it was colder outside. On those days, you know it is cold before you even step outside. Yesterday just seemed so chilly with all the dampness in the air and it was raining on top of that. These people were on the other side of the shore, opposite the golf/lafarge side upriver from the glenmore tr. bridge. The furthest 1 was almost at the big boulders on shore that were placed there to stop soil/bank erosion.

I hope they were rewarded for their efforts!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

I have been tempted and itching to get at a little honey hole not to far from there. but its downstream of the glenmore. i think i just might have to make a little journy this weekend, Its been so long since i have chucked a lure.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Don't get staying away to far from the boat Braun.

Gotta have her done by the 8th so you can test it out and hammer some eyes.

I picked up a hand made drift/row boat the other night with my dad and will have a project to restore it and set it up for fishing the rivers so I will be even more busy now.

Sorry for the hi jack of the thread.

Seems like every time I am in Calgary I see guys on the bow no matter the conditions. I need to get on the bow more often and finally catch a brown trout bigger then 10-12"
Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM

Hey, no problem!

I'm cheering him on too in the background to get the boat done.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

ya i dono if it is going to happen. I dont think it will be 100% complete. but it will be fishable. If I had a cooler id go out and buy carpet, plywood, and 2x4s and start building the deck this week. However i would need to convince my dad to let me park it in the garage. its full of snow now......

i dono if i can goto chin. that is a long drive pulling a boat. i might have to bail on you and just goto travers like we originally planned. Chin is a 3 hour drive with a boat that probably would be its first time in the water.

Last edited by Braun; 04-14-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:39 PM

do what you gotta do to get it done. Look on kijiji or wherever you can to find a cooler. Check second hand stores and stuff like that and track one down. You could go get all your supplies and have them ready so that as soon as you find the cooler you can get to work.

I want to see that thing on chin following me around at 6am on the 8th.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

that weekend, is bob going with you to chin? if your going by yourself you should just come meet me at travers. kokanee9 can tag along too seeing as you insist on bringing your own boat anyways

6am!!! i would need to leave my house at 230am to get there!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:44 PM

I gotta get to chin. We have to tourney the next weekend so that is where I will be.

Ya I am hoping to have the boat launched at 6am or earlier.

Its totally up to you if you want to bring your boat out there. I need to get my boat out and make sure everything is working properly. I am hoping the weekend before opening weekend I can take my boat to park lake or something and launch it to make sure the motor is running decent so I don't waste my time hauling it to chin to find out it won't start.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

ya im hoping to do the same thing at chesterslough. next weekend im going to put the prop on the motor and stick it in a barel and fire it up and run some gas through it for a good 30 min. wanna make sure the leg actually turns my prop. if that doesnt go then that is the end of the project for sure. maybe i will assemble the prop and throw it in gear this weekend before i start buying deck materials.

I could see the boat being done except the live well fully installed. and a few other little things like cup holders and stuff like that
Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

any one know a good place to get parts like the nuts for my prop in calgary? and not a place that is ridiculously expensive
Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Anywhere that sells props should carry the assembly parts for it. Head to a marine shop or bass pro or something and ask around. If you are going to bass pro text me when you are there so I can get you to look for a few small things for me for the drift boat project.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned

ya i'll let you know. If i find one or two people who want to drive down to chin with me for that weekend i will definitely come, It will be 100 in gas to get there and back + boat gas so if i go, ill be making a trip of it for sure