Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2019, 12:31 PM

Default Roaming killer dogs

Growing up on a backwoods farm,we had the usual,A few pigs,cows,two horses,chickens,geese ducks.We grew root crops for our main income sourse.In the summer many people had there dogs running loose. From time to time they would pack up,and harass and kill farm animals.We had a small pond in the centre of which was a small island.On that island our ducks would nest.I awoke one morning,to see my father,in long underwear,rubber boots,gun belt,heading to the duck pond under cover of some farm machinery,with his double 12.The dogs were on the island killing the ducks.The dogs spotted him at point blank--a dog can only swim so fast.He finished 4 or 5 in the water,one on the shore,cartwheeled another, the number 4 lead very effective at close range.No one came to claim there dogs,the killing stopped in the area.From then on people kept there dogs at home.That was the end of it--My father was a dog lover we had many,He did what no one else would do,but had to be done.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:55 PM

We raised cattle and sheep .a lady happened to be jogging by one day with her Siberian husky.the husky got into the sheep and mutilated 2or 3 .I remember dad out in the lane way with his model 94 3030 ready to shoot the dog when the lady ran up behind her dog and threw her arms around it and begged dad not to shoot it.the picture of dad lined up on the husky ,the lady hugging the dog and bloody sheep running around is still vivid in my mind .dad didn’t shoot the dog and I’m assuming he was compensated for the livestock.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:56 PM

Live near a Native reserve and this is your Reality.

Grizz
Old 07-28-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
I remember in New Brunswick one time Large dog packs on the reserve killing animals on nearby farms . Even attacking kids on the reserve going to school or playing at the park .
Old 07-28-2019, 01:11 PM

Ross river YT
Old 07-28-2019, 01:34 PM

Doesn't have to be a pack either. A neighbor's husky cross came to our place early one morning and killed 100 chickens and a calf. By the time I got the gun and ran outside he was already running home across the highway. Saved the bullet when a truck hit the dog. The neighbor bought himself a whole lot of dog minced chicken and calf that day.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-28-2019, 03:16 PM

I was out hunting deer in november.I thought it was odd when ,deer were running really hard by me.Then after a few minutes ,i saw why.Dogs were running the deer.3 WENT DOWN ,FROM MY 270.tHE 4TH SUCKED UP TO ME.sO I FOLLOWED IT HOME.i EXPLAINED TO THE FARMER,WHAT IT WAS DOING.pRETTY SURE HE SHOT IT,AFTER HIS KIDS,WENT TO PLAY.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I was out hunting deer in november.I thought it was odd when ,deer were running really hard by me.Then after a few minutes ,i saw why.Dogs were running the deer.3 WENT DOWN ,FROM MY 270.tHE 4TH SUCKED UP TO ME.sO I FOLLOWED IT HOME.i EXPLAINED TO THE FARMER,WHAT IT WAS DOING.pRETTY SURE HE SHOT IT,AFTER HIS KIDS,WENT TO PLAY.
SORRY ABOUT POSTpc sticks on caps when T WAnts
Old 07-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
SORRY ABOUT POSTpc sticks on caps when T WAnts
You sound like a real winner
Old 07-28-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Back in less sensitive and politically correct times (20-30 years ago), there was actually a section in the Alberta hunting regulations stating that it was legal (and in a round about way encouraged) to shoot any dogs seen chasing or harrassing big game animals. In my opinion it should still be in there.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
You sound like the guy who drives to the country to drop off your unwanted critters then whines when they get shot.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Back in less sensitive and politically correct times (20-30 years ago), there was actually a section in the Alberta hunting regulations stating that it was legal (and in a round about way encouraged) to shoot any dogs seen chasing or harrassing big game animals. In my opinion it should still be in there.
Damn right.2years ago my son was sitting the deer stand.had 6 does run through with two big dogs hot on their heels during muzzleloader.couldnt get a shot off he said
Old 07-28-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
you think he a real winner i think he is B S ing he has just had a herd of deer run by , he shoots three dogs in all the excitement and the fourth dog suddenly says ok i give up take me to jail so they can hang me
Old 07-28-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Growing up on a backwoods farm,we had the usual,A few pigs,cows,two horses,chickens,geese ducks.We grew root crops for our main income sourse.In the summer many people had there dogs running loose. From time to time they would pack up,and harass and kill farm animals.We had a small pond in the centre of which was a small island.On that island our ducks would nest.I awoke one morning,to see my father,in long underwear,rubber boots,gun belt,heading to the duck pond under cover of some farm machinery,with his double 12.The dogs were on the island killing the ducks.The dogs spotted him at point blank--a dog can only swim so fast.He finished 4 or 5 in the water,one on the shore,cartwheeled another, the number 4 lead very effective at close range.No one came to claim there dogs,the killing stopped in the area.From then on people kept there dogs at home.That was the end of it--My father was a dog lover we had many,He did what no one else would do,but had to be done.
i dont fault your pa at all . it is unfortunate though that dogs have to pay the price when their owners are pieces of sssss. this problem is still very prevalent today and maybe even more so . everyone wants a dog but very few take the time to care for them properly .
Old 07-28-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
You sound like the guy who drives to the country to drop off your unwanted critters then whines when they get shot.
So you think any dog you see in the woods is fair game? If you're in your stand and see a group of deer run by, and a few minutes later you see me going for a hike down the same trail am I harassing wildlife?
Old 07-28-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
So you think any dog you see in the woods is fair game? If you're in your stand and see a group of deer run by, and a few minutes later you see me going for a hike down the same trail am I harassing wildlife?
yup . there is no county or id in the province that allows dogs to roam free , other than " off leash " areas . so yes , stray dogs are fair game .
Old 07-28-2019, 07:04 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You do what you got to do.....you know what is right....posting it makes you an idiot....you know.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-28-2019, 07:23 PM

actually , i hope people reading this will think i am more of a psycho than an idiot and maybe they will keep their dogs home , where they are safe because yes , there are people out there like me that have little patience for irresponsible dog owners .
and for the record , i'm not a dog hater . as a matter of fact i have had dogs my whole life . but i dont tolerate my dogs chasing deer , moose , livestock ,kids on bikes or running at large . hey , but thats just me .
Old 07-28-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
...... but i dont tolerate my dogs chasing deer , moose , livestock ,kids on bikes or running at large . hey , but thats just me .
Why is it intolerable for a dog to chase a deer? If I had a dog, and it was chasing a deer on my land, and you figured that was good enough reason to shoot it, I would be some ticked.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:55 PM

The way it was 50 years ago back on the farm if neighbours dogs came on your land and caused any issues they got warned once, next time dog or dogs were shot. All farmers were of the same attitude.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:31 PM

Funny there was just a “feel cat”:thread and most people say if they see a cat they’ll shoot it. Yet many of These same people get up in a knot if a dog gets shot.

I’ve seen dogs running deer, poor deer, it’s tongue was hanging out from running so far...think about it a deer can run a hell of a long ways with no problem. To have it’s tongue hanging out, it must have been a hell of a chase.
Unfortunately I only had my bow and didn’t get a shot at the dogs I sure would have though.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Why is it intolerable for a dog to chase a deer? If I had a dog, and it was chasing a deer on my land, and you figured that was good enough reason to shoot it, I would be some ticked.
Pretty sure he was talking about a dog freely chasing down game on crown land/lease land/their property during a hunt.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
The way it was 50 years ago back on the farm if neighbours dogs came on your land and caused any issues they got warned once, next time dog or dogs were shot. All farmers were of the same attitude.
It’s still the same around here except depending on what the dog(s) are doing, there may not be any warning. If the rancher knows whose dog it is they may inform the owner, otherwise, the dog(s) just disappear. Like you said, all farmers are of the same attitude.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:08 PM

Your fat home feed dog is not chasing the deer for food but for pleasure so yup DRT and the neighbors all knew just like I did if your dog is running wild and chasing anything besides a stick it was game over.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:19 PM

It goes both ways.my folks two dogs went on a jaunt a few years ago and killed some of the neighbors rabbits.the dogs got what they had coming.my dad rents out his land now to the same farmer because he’s too old to farm it.no hard feelings
Old 07-28-2019, 10:26 PM

Last season I was on the home quarter with the fiancé at her farm. Nice buck came out of no where running and didn’t care for us. She couldn’t get a shot off then two dogs came out of no where. I had one in the scope but she stopped me, if it happens again this year. She won’t be stopping me again.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:29 PM

Every now and then back in the day in Waterways there would be s pack of dogs running rampant at night .
A few of us took care of business “Klein’s way”
Cat
Old 07-28-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Some courier companies won't deliver to reserves for that very reason.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:36 PM

Out in our area it is not tolerated when dogs are chasing and molesting farm animals, usually after the deed is done, and if it was wearing a collar, the collar is hung on the owners fence so they know what has happened to their dog.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
50 years ago? It’s still that way around here today. My neighbor actually told me to shoot his dog if he showed up here again just a few months back. The dog had been here multiple times. He is actually the second neighbor to tell me to do so.

Another neighbor took one of his dogs home after he showed up here a few years ago, that dog is no longer with us after that day.