Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2019, 06:27 PM

Default Not impressed with EIA. Your thoughts

Went back to the airport last night and I’m just amazed how lousy that place is. It’s almost impossible now to pick someone up without going into that overpriced parkade. The have most of the area flagged off now for Uber and the area in front of the rendezvous spot was two cars wide. People honking their horns and even one guy parked his truck right across the crosswalk. The so called enforcement was at the other end threatening people who were not Uber. He made me move after a heated chat and I drove around the loop again into a traffic jam.
I have travelled many times over the years and probably seen at least 50 airports and to me EIA is a huge failure. Management should take a look at a place like DFW airport. You need to pick up people it’s so easy.
Just my opinion and I’m sure there are lots to talk about on this place
Old 07-28-2019, 06:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
Went back to the airport last night and I’m just amazed how lousy that place is. It’s almost impossible now to pick someone up without going into that overpriced parkade. The have most of the area flagged off now for Uber and the area in front of the rendezvous spot was two cars wide. People honking their horns and even one guy parked his truck right across the crosswalk. The so called enforcement was at the other end threatening people who were not Uber. He made me move after a heated chat and I drove around the loop again into a traffic jam.
I have travelled many times over the years and probably seen at least 50 airports and to me EIA is a huge failure. Management should take a look at a place like DFW airport. You need to pick up people it’s so easy.
Just my opinion and I’m sure there are lots to talk about on this place
DFW and PHX are how it should be to pick people up....YEG is a sick joke...horrible
Old 07-28-2019, 06:47 PM

Agree. Seattle is good. Even Kelowna airport blows away edmonton
Old 07-28-2019, 06:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
Agree. Seattle is good. Even Kelowna airport blows away edmonton
Saddest part is of the two I mentioned you don't have to wander around at -30C looking for your ride. They just know how to move vehicles and people
Old 07-28-2019, 06:58 PM

Very dirty also. On the observation deck the windows are so dirty you can hardly see out of them. Calgary’s airport is much better run as are most others Looks good from the highway though 😳
Old 07-28-2019, 07:12 PM

Default Eia

There wasn't enough traffic congestion, parking related hassles or inconvenience in departures & arrivals at EIA in the past, so the powers that be thought turning the area around it into a huge shopping complex would solve the issue.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:14 PM

Can't figure it out either. They had all the land they needed to develop proper lanes for traffic flow and passenger pickup.

Aside from having dirty glass and poor design layout I have been there when you can smell the pot odor being vented from the plantation next door. I don't mind the smell but visitors must wonder.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-28-2019, 07:18 PM

When I need to pick someone up at EIA I just wait at the 7-11. I arrange for them to text me when they’re outside the building. I pull up they jump in I’m out of there in less than a minute. Easy peasy no muss no fuss!

BW
Old 07-28-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
When I need to pick someone up at EIA I just wait at the 7-11. I arrange for them to text me when they’re outside the building. I pull up they jump in I’m out of there in less than a minute. Easy peasy no muss no fuss!

BW
That’s what was going on. When I did the loop last night I did notice about ten vehicles on the shoulder by seven eleven. That’s what they were doing. Such a pathetic setup for customers.
Just went on the EIA site. Their email complaint line doesn’t work. Lol
Old 07-28-2019, 07:44 PM

If getting picked up at YEG...have the driver stage near the airport, ie: at the 7-11 or even in Nisku at a Mcdonalds or wherever.

Call them when you see your luggage hit the belt, or after you disembark if you only have carry on.

Tell them what doors you'll meet them at.

Stress free for all!!....and don't have to pay any parking fee!

You're welcome.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=happy honker;4007269]If getting picked up at YEG...have the driver stage near the airport, ie: at the 7-11 or even in Nisku at a Mcdonalds or wherever.

Call them when you see your luggage hit the belt, or after you disembark if you only have carry on.

Tell them what doors you'll meet them at.

Stress free for all!!....and don't have to pay any parking fee!

You're welcome
Old 07-28-2019, 08:05 PM

What I have done in Calgary the last few times cause 4 or 5 flights come in at the same time. I meet them at the departure level and not the arrival platform. They can actually come out the in door. Rarely any congestion. If not I usually tell them to bite me and tell them there are to many cabs buses and Uber. You are allowed a few minutes to load. Ya also did the round and round thing before. Just drive really slow and have them meet you at the very end of the traffic line. Turn up the tunes and you won't care about the honking horns LAX is smooth but also nightmare to get into
Old 07-28-2019, 09:38 PM

I fly out of there 3-4 times a year and I actually like EIA much more than other Canadian airports. It seems there are more restaurants open for longer hours than most other airports. And since it’s so small, all the restaurants are grouped together so you don’t have to wander all over to find a place to eat.

I park my truck at park n fly so I can’t comment on traffic getting in and out.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I fly out of there 3-4 times a year and I actually like EIA much more than other Canadian airports. It seems there are more restaurants open for longer hours than most other airports. And since it’s so small, all the restaurants are grouped together so you don’t have to wander all over to find a place to eat.

X2. Same thing, Edmonton airport is very nice compared to others, especially Toronto or God Forbid Chicago! Parking is easy. Food actually is pretty good! As for a pick up, do like the others said - wait at the gas station area, plenty of parking there and once people call you with the door number - go and get them, simple and easy and there is no need to pay parking fees.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:

Ya, that really has nothing to do with this thread.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:52 PM

Picking people up at EIA is a breeze.

Have the person your picking up go upstairs to the departure level and right to the very far end (not the hotel end), you could park there for hours and not be harassed by the parking guys. Been dooing this for years now, works like a charm every time. In & out in no time at all without any crowds.

Trying to pick anyone up from the lower level is a nightmare.

Hope I didn't just shoot myself in the foot.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Ya, that really has nothing to do with this thread.
Title of the thread asks for one’s thoughts on EIA. I stated I like the airport and don’t partake in the pickup/drop off silliness. I’d say that’s pertinent to the thread but whatever.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 PM

There is a Costco, 7/11 or free 45 minute parking in Jetset lot where you can wait and then pick up passenger once they have their bags and are ready to be picked up.

Literally the only reason to park in the parkade is if you feel the need to go inside and wait for the person you are picking up.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:

BW
Thats exactly how we do pick ups as well.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:07 AM

Sounds like the 7-11 is Edmonton's version of Calgarys' cell phone parking lot. Free parking and just wait for a call or text to arrange pick up. Works well.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Sounds like the 7-11 is Edmonton's version of Calgarys' cell phone parking lot. Free parking and just wait for a call or text to arrange pick up. Works well.
The jetset parking area has a cell phone waiting area. It is 45 mins free, 1.25 per half hour after that.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
x2...Large parking lot...Sit and wait for the call
Old 07-30-2019, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
There is a Costco, 7/11 or free 45 minute parking in Jetset lot where you can wait and then pick up passenger once they have their bags and are ready to be picked up.

Literally the only reason to park in the parkade is if you feel the need to go inside and wait for the person you are picking up.
Same here. Just there last weekend. My arrival texted when they were outside waiting, I left the 7/11 and within 5 minutes we were on our way.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:

BW
Me too
Old 07-30-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:

BW
I tell my guests that I will pick them up on the departure deck, call me when you are outside waiting. In out and gone
Old 07-30-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Title of the thread asks for one’s thoughts on EIA. I stated I like the airport and don’t partake in the pickup/drop off silliness. I’d say that’s pertinent to the thread but whatever.
No. you missed the theme of this thread by a mile.