Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Water storage

I have a class C motorhome and pull a 22’ enclosed trailer i want to carry extra water with out using up space inside the trailer. Has anyone rigged up a system on the outside of the unit.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:09 AM

I have friends that have bought second tanks from old trailers and rigged them up on the frames of their trailers. A couple of brackets had to be fabricated and a "Y" fitting was installed on the filler neck so both tanks filled at the same time. They then ran a secondary pump to transfer water from the secondary tank to the primary. I don't know if this would be street legal though as it would mess with your weight limits. Their trailers never leave the property.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-30-2019, 09:38 AM

It should be ok to haul some water as its rated to haul 4 atv’s
Old 07-30-2019, 09:48 AM

Just to be clear, You want to add a fresh water tank to the enclosed trailer to supply the motorhome?

That could be alot of weight, and may not be as simple as you think. 1L of water = 1kg. A small 40gal tank =330#'s, which doesn't seem like "much", but putting that in the front (or rear) of your trailer will drastically change how it tows. Which is why tanks are located as close as possible to the axles on travel trailers.

Weights aside, you could easily add a tank, and buy an additional pump to transfer the water to the main fresh tank on the MH when needed. I'm not sure the hassle of trying to make it "built-in" is worth it on a motorhome.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 AM

I just carry 5 gal pails, new pails, in my covered trailer , then when I need to just carry it to filler and pump it in, I also added a lid to the pail for better use, this is what I added.

https://www.uline.ca/BL_8173/Screw-Top-Pails
Old 07-30-2019, 11:00 AM

Work just gave me a 150L tank im going to try and mount it above the axles
Old 07-30-2019, 07:47 PM

I put a second tank in my rv trailer. I had a tank company make me a water tank to fit with all the fitting I needed to hook both tanks together. one fitting was high on the tank for venting, one fitting low for draining and a 2" fitting near the top of the tank to fill when the first one was filled. It wasn't as hard as it sounds.