Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Oh no. A metis councillor standing up for metis rights that were violated. How dare she/he.
At this point, it hasn't been proven that anyone's legal rights were violated. And given the history of the counsel member doing the complaining, I am not inclined to believe anything that she says, until I see proof to back up her word.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Pounderhard View Post
As a first nations native, i do believe the hunting and fishing should be regulated. Once the metis and non status indians get full treaty rights, the moose/deer/elk/fish population will take big hit.
Are you suggesting putting regulations in place for all aboriginals, or just the metis and non-status aboriginals?

I have a friend who is status Indian and he's not happy about metis having any rights, I think it's common amongst Status Indians to feel this way. At the rate Justin is going, pretty soon the number of groups of hunters that have rights will outnumber the Canadians who don't have rights and nobody will be happy with the results.

Back to the topic at hand, I hope the officers involved get the support they deserve for doing their job. I can imagine they have a steep uphill cliff to negotiate here.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Are you suggesting putting regulations in place for all aboriginals, or just the metis and non-status aboriginals?

I have a friend who is status Indian and he's not happy about metis having any rights, I think it's common amongst Status Indians to feel this way. At the rate Justin is going, pretty soon the number of groups of hunters that have rights will outnumber the Canadians who don't have rights and nobody will be happy with the results.

Back to the topic at hand, I hope the officers involved get the support they deserve for doing their job. I can imagine they have a steep uphill cliff to negotiate here.
Of course he is not happy, very few if any of the "status" indigenous people are happy about the Metis or the Inuit getting any rights at all. The pie is only so big and if the Metis and the Inuit get any of it that most likely means they will get less. If the metis or Inuit get any then the "white" people get mad. The Metis are not in a good position with any group of people as well noted on this site. No one cares about the Inuit because none of you hunt up there so its an "out of site, out of mind" thing but it really is no different and effects the wildlife population the exact same except none of you are there. It does relate to the topic at hand as per the statements made here even if those statements are generalized and off topic.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:42 PM

I was wondering with population growth across all of Canada what the stats looked like. As we move forward I believe that this will mean more and more people drawing from our resources.

Found this re First Nation, Metis, Inuit. It also makes ref to non-aboriginal growth stats.

From http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...le-demography/

Over 1.8 million people reported having an Aboriginal ancestry, or ancestors with an Aboriginal identity in Canada in 2011. More than 1.4 million people (over 4 per cent of the total population in Canada) identified themselves as an Aboriginal person. Aboriginal peoples in Canada are defined in the Constitution Act, 1982 as Indian (more commonly referred to as First Nations), Métis, and Inuit.

In 2010, the Aboriginal population in Canada included 615 First Nation communities and more than 50 nations; eight Métis settlements; and 53 Inuit communities. In 2011, there were more than 60 Aboriginal languages reported in Canada.

Historical Population Estimates

With regards to the population of Aboriginal people in what would become Canada at the beginning of sustained European contact in the early 16th century, estimates vary. Anthropologists and historians have, however, given a tentative range of between 350,000 and 500,000 people, with some estimates as high as two million. By 1867, it is thought that between 100,000 and 125,000 First Nations people remained in what is now Canada, along with approximately 10,000 Métis in Manitoba and 2,000 Inuit in the Arctic. The Aboriginal population of Canada continued to decline until the early 20th century. This dramatic population decline is attributed to disease, starvation and warfare directly stemming from European settlement and practices (see Indigenous People, Health; Indigenous-European Relations; Smallpox; Tuberculosis).

Since that time, the Aboriginal population has increased at a rate faster than that of the general Canadian population. Between 1996 and 2006, the Aboriginal population grew by 45 per cent, compared with 8 per cent for the non-Aboriginal population. Between 2006 and 2011, the Aboriginal population further increased by 232,385 people, or by 20.1 per cent. By comparison, the non-Aboriginal population grew by just 5.2 per cent during that same time period.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Its my right to hunt and fish as well, but I have to obtain the proper licencing before I can start, if I don't, I will be charged.
So explain how their rights were violated please?
I don't think you bothered to read the article. The vast majority of metis had their proper licenses. Out of the massive group there 2 didnt. The article doesnt even say if they saw the 2 people without their license fishing. Simple solution is to write those 2 a ticket. Problem solved.

Not all of my family fishes.. I guess i need to get everyone a license if they stay in the same camp as me otherwise I'll lose all my fish.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think you bothered to read the article. The vast majority of metis had their proper licenses. Out of the massive group there 2 didnt. The article doesnt even say if they saw the 2 people without their license fishing. Simple solution is to write those 2 a ticket. Problem solved.

Not all of my family fishes.. I guess i need to get everyone a license if they stay in the same camp as me otherwise I'll lose all my fish.
The article may not say whether those people without licenses took part in the netting, but the officers may know a great deal more than the people writing the article. And if even one unlicensed person took part in the netting, the catch could be deemed illegal, making the seizure of the fish appropriate.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

How do I get one of the licenses?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The article may not say whether those people without licenses took part in the netting, but the officers may know a great deal more than the people writing the article. And if even one unlicensed person took part in the netting, the catch could be deemed illegal, making the seizure of the fish appropriate.
They didnt even find the net which started the complaint. But hey let's take everything anyways...

Is it reasonable to expect everyone at a campsite to produce a license?? I didnt realize this was needed anytime ive gone camping with the family. The wives never fish yet we have never had any of our fish taken and we have been checked up on quite often.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:

While I suspect you did read the article, I doubt you actual comprehend what was written.

The article does not say that only two people from this "massive" group did not have licences,
nor did the article state that the other people did have licences.

You are offering a whole lot of ASSumptions as fact....

My Assumption is that NO one had a netting licence, and that F&W decided to charge two individuals from the Massive group,
likely two unlicensed individuals that admitted to the netting....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
My Assumption is that NO one had a netting licence, and that F&W decided to charge two individuals from the Massive group,
likely two unlicensed individuals that admitted to the netting....
A very likely assumption. As to not finding a net, perhaps the fish showed evidence of being caught in a net, so the officers knew that they had been caught with a net, which would make the catch illegal, if nobody present had a license to net the fish.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:37 PM

Oh it time to reconciliate reconciliate..............
Old 09-19-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
It is closed because of over-fishing, both commercial and native fishing have made a significant dent.
Still not true. Those are the scape goat excuses.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSteel View Post

Ok, you tell us why.

I get my info from people who live there and fish the Fraser, this is what they are told.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Its my right to hunt and fish as well, but I have to obtain the proper licencing before I can start, if I don't, I will be charged.
So explain how their rights were violated please?
You mean "privilege " not "right" as regular Canadians we have very few rights just "Privileges". And as far as this whole issue goes Native Canadians get away with a lot when it comes to fishing and hunting for the simple reason that CO's really don't want this hassle. We have heard it on this forum time and time again where people where told by CO's it's not worth there time to try and charges with certain individuals. I personally have found fishing nets in lakes full of rotten fish. When I called the CO's I was told to pull the net on shore and burn it. No investigation, no anything. So yes it things are not fair for wildlife and
People who play by the rules. ( Native and non-native alike).
Old 09-20-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I don't think you bothered to read the article. The vast majority of metis had their proper licenses(never said anything of the sort). Out of the massive group there 2 didnt(again never said anything about that, they did say they charged 2 that didn't have a licence). The article doesnt even say if they saw the 2 people without their license fishing. Simple solution is to write those 2 a ticket. Problem solved.

I read the article, and I understand what was written. Unless you read a different article you have a very vivid imagination, and are making asumptions. Much like the guy in the video that was ranting like a lunatic about taking their lands back from the white guy.....
Old 09-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Yes. i believe they should have regualtions in place for how much you can harvest per person/family. If they don't, then our animal population will take a huge hit in the next 5-10 years. Then nobody will be able to hunt

And i believe in the next 10-20years they should slowly abolish the treaty rights. All it is now, is a money grab if you complain enough.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Yes. i believe they should have regualtions in place for how much you can harvest per person/family. If they don't, then our animal population will take a huge hit in the next 5-10 years. Then nobody will be able to hunt

And i believe in the next 10-20years they should slowly abolish the treaty rights. All it is now, is a money grab if you complain enough.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:40 AM
Banned

Quote:

Im still curious as to why you think their is a lack of fish swimming up the Fraser every year.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 AM
Banned

Quote:

Thank you for posting your opinion, it truly is a ray of hope in regards to working towards a wildlife conservation program that can actually work for Canada.

Nobody wants to see our fish and wildlife decimated, and nobody wants to lose the privilege or right to hunt and fish, but common sense tells me that with human population growth, along with the growing number of groups given free reign on harvesting, it won't be long before the fun ends.

Once we can make common sense more common, we can start to get proper management in place with less resistance.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Thank you for posting your opinion, it truly is a ray of hope in regards to working towards a wildlife conservation program that can actually work for Canada.

Nobody wants to see our fish and wildlife decimated, and nobody wants to lose the privilege or right to hunt and fish, but common sense tells me that with human population growth, along with the growing number of groups given free reign on harvesting, it won't be long before the fun ends.

Once we can make common sense more common, we can start to get proper management in place with less resistance.
I say this without any sarcasm, why can't every Canadian regardless of culture, just have the exact same rights, laws and rules?

To have different rules, rights and laws for different cultures means we are not all equal.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

Still waiting for an answer.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Tip of the day: There is a way to express frustration and disgust without getting infracted or banned. There really is. Think about it.

Something tells me not all will get it. Carry on. Thread will be watched closely. You've been warned.

Have a good day.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:13 AM

As far as I know as a Metis, hunting rights is for susistense (not sure of spelling) and there is already laws in place for anyone taking more than there family can use.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Those dried whitefish looked delicious
X2 They did look very tasty.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
As far as I know as a Metis, hunting rights is for susistense (not sure of spelling) and there is already laws in place for anyone taking more than there family can use.

There are laws in place for Metis hunting/harvesting, which have been upheld in the courts.

And these people appear to have broken those laws, but are appealing to the government that their ignorance (or arrogance) is a valid excuse....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-22-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
There are laws in place for Metis hunting/harvesting, which have been upheld in the courts.

And these people appear to have broken those laws, but are appealing to the government that their ignorance (or arrogance) is a valid excuse....
I agree, ignorance of the law has never been a defence. Politicians care more about being politically correct than backing up there own public employees. Right now it's vougue to support the aboriginal agenda.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

this
Old 09-22-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Culture

This word sickens me already, I am afraid most of the indigenous people have forgotten what there culture is, most of them are blinded by thinking they are being treated unfairly, sad really.
Google up the Indian Act and read, Then post a response.